USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a big RPGer, both table top and video game version. I don't hate sports games, I just prefer RPGs. I think that people who are more into RPG games just don't enjoy the style of game play or find them to be shallow without the in depth story line to really dig into that most enjoy.

That being said, I love a good game of NHL '10 or Madden from time to time, but not too often. ;)

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Um... For the same reason people who enjoy platformers hate puzzle games? Or people who like first person shooters hate racing games? IDK, I've never noticed the trend you mentioned... It seems kinda random to me.

Table top RPG... Example: Dungeons and Dragons.

Sigh... Makes me think of "Zombies!!!" which I know is a board game, but still, such fond memories of that game. When I was like 8 or 9 months pregnant, we spent the whole day at the hospital doing tests on my blood sugar. You had to get blood drawn, drink this horrific sugar drink, go back like an hour later and give blood, then an hour later and give blood again. Anyway, my other half and I sat in the waiting room of the hospital and played "Zombies!!!." The waiting room was also the waiting room for day surgery and the ED, so... Yeah. One of those awesomely weird moments.

Upvote 0

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Um... For the same reason people who enjoy platformers hate puzzle games? Or people who like first person shooters hate racing games? IDK, I've never noticed the trend you mentioned... It seems kinda random to me.
I could see why a fan of platformers would hate puzzle games, since platforming is a lot of running, jumping and other sorts of action. Puzzle games can have action, but are usually just brainy games on par with playing chess...something boring to people who don't like to think too much.

Heh, maybe I've just found my answer. The average sports gamer is probably not a fan of reading and puzzles, but action and quick reflexes. RPGer's are probably (for the most part) brainy nerds who aren't interested in sports. *shrug*.

Table top RPG... Example: Dungeons and Dragons.

Sigh... Makes me think of "Zombies!!!" which I know is a board game, but still, such fond memories of that game. When I was like 8 or 9 months pregnant, we spent the whole day at the hospital doing tests on my blood sugar. You had to get blood drawn, drink this horrific sugar drink, go back like an hour later and give blood, then an hour later and give blood again. Anyway, my other half and I sat in the waiting room of the hospital and played "Zombies!!!." The waiting room was also the waiting room for day surgery and the ED, so... Yeah. One of those awesomely weird moments.
I didn't look at your gender icon, and assumed you were a guy, since this is a video game forum. So I did a double take when I read you were pregnant.

Bad, sexist shinbits.

Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've noticed that people who play RPG's, without exception, hate sports games. Conversely, most people who play sports games don't care about RPG's. Why? I'm the only person I've ever known who enjoys both.

I think it's largely because most RPG players and sports players are playing for different reasons. The RPG players is typically working out a story or a character's growth or even trying to obtain some item while sports games are more about perfecting a technique or system to produce wins. It's like two different mindsets working for different reasons. I wonder if those who DO play both types do so for the same reasons.

What aspects of sports games do you like? What aspects of RPGs do you like?

Personally I don't "get" sports at all because I'm not a competitive person and the whole competition for the sake of competition thing goes over my head. That said, I can really get into a good football game if it's close and the teams are well-matched. I watch it more as a strategic struggle to control territory and don't pick sides.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because RPGers are obviously nerds! ;) lol

No really though I think it is just personal preference, books are the same way and movies for that matter, some like fantasy some like factual nonfiction. My preference is fps's and the only sports games I like are golf games, although I have played some RPGs and I find them somewhat enjoyable but they are not my favorite genre by any means.

Upvote 0

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's largely because most RPG players and sports players are playing for different reasons. The RPG players is typically working out a story or a character's growth or even trying to obtain some item while sports games are more about perfecting a technique or system to produce wins. It's like two different mindsets working for different reasons. I wonder if those who DO play both types do so for the same reasons.

What aspects of sports games do you like? What aspects of RPGs do you like?
I like sports games for the same reason I like fighting games, which is the competition of it all. And as someome who watches and plays sports, it's fun to act out that competition on a console.

I like RPG's mainly for a good story. I also like figuring out puzzles to advance to story. I don't care one lick about leveling up or finding secret items, in fact, I hate that aspect of RPG's with a passion. I also despise random battles, especially in games when they seem to happen every five to ten seconds (FFVII, certain parts in Xenogears, and ESPECIALLY Breath of Fire III.) Basically, I hate anything that's tedious, and feels like work to do. It's a video game after all.

Basically, I'm an athletic geek, so I guess that's why I like both.

Upvote 0

Jan 27, 2009
Somewhere out there
✟8,559.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I seem to be ambivalent to Sports games out of all the genres out there just because of every year bringing a new title with not a lot of changes to the core game mechanics, a paint over with new rosters, and another hefty price tag to pay for, for the most part, the same game you paid the same price tag for last year. And to top that off, you can't even recoup those losses, because the closer you get to release date of the next edition, the lower the resale value on the current game tanks. And now, with EA locking online play to the original owner, unless you want to pay extra after buying the title, it makes trying to find a case for reselling even worse.

There's only a couple sports games I could play a lot of, but I just haven't found the point in getting into them if I'm just going to be off and buying it again in a year.

IMO, it would be worth buying for me if say, the developers, now realizing we're in the online age, would post up DLC with new rosters and whatever game mechanic tweaks the do make, make us pay a menial fee for it (definitely less than buying the title itself). Considering they wouldn't have to create as much physical media, digital distribution is cheaper, they would still make solid profits this way. Plus there would still be enough entry level and nostalgic gamers out there to purchase the physical media to warrant lining the shelves and such.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums