Why do people wish for the dead to "rest in peace?"

TexasCatholic

Jun 8, 2004
TEXAS
✟2,249.00
Faith
Catholic
I get why many evangelical protestants might say this, because the belief of many is that the dead are "sleeping" until Christ comes again. But, does the Catholic Church teach this? I don't think so.... While we don't necessarily know or understand how much time each person might spend in purgatory, I don't think any teaching indicates that we will sleep or "rest in peace." Sounds awful. I want to be wide awake, worshiping God with the saints, with my already passed relatives and friends and looking back and watching over those left behind.

Thoughts?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,697,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I get why many evangelical protestants might say this, because the belief of many is that the dead are "sleeping" until Christ comes again. But, does the Catholic Church teach this? I don't think so.... While we don't necessarily know or understand how much time each person might spend in purgatory, I don't think any teaching indicates that we will sleep or "rest in peace." Sounds awful. I want to be wide awake, worshiping God with the saints, with my already passed relatives and friends and looking back and watching over those left behind.

Thoughts?
I've thought the same actually.

I guess I'll have to look up RIP origins...

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,697,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
History of the abbreviation R.I.P.
History of the abbreviation R.I.P. | Ask MetaFilter

"Rest in peace" (Latin: Requiescat in pace) is a short epitaph or idiomatic expression wishing eternal rest and peace to someone who has died. The expression typically appears on headstones, often abbreviated as "RIP". The backronym "rest in paradise" is also common as a variation. The phrase or acronym is commonly found on the grave of Catholics,[1] as it is derived from the burial service of the Roman Catholic church, in which the following prayer was said at the commencement and conclusion:[2]
“Anima eius et animae omnium fidelium defunctorum per Dei misericordiam requiescant in pace.”
In English, it is rendered as[3]
“May his soul and the souls of all the departed faithful by God's mercy rest in peace.”
To satisfy a vogue for rhyming couplets on tombstones, the phrase has been parsed as:[4]
“Requiesce
cat in pace”
Originally in Hebrew in Isaiah (57, 2):
“...will come in peace, and they will rest in their beds, he who goes straightforward.”
Found inscribed in Hebrew on gravestones, in the 1st century BC graveyard of Bet Shearim. This verse speaks of the righteous person who passed away, because he could not stand the evil surrounding him. A recapture of these words read as "come and rest in peace" has been transferred to the ancient Talmudic prayers in a mixture of Hebrew and Aramaic of the 3rd century AD, and used to this day in traditional Jewish ceremonies.[5]
The phrase in English was not found on tombstones before the eighth century.[6][7] It became common on the tombs of Catholics in the 18th century for whom it was a prayerful request that their soul should find peace in the afterlife. When the phrase became conventional, the absence of a reference to the soul led people to suppose that it was the physical body which was enjoined to lie peacefully in the grave.[8] This is associated with the Catholic doctrine of the particular judgment which is that the soul is parted from the body upon death but that they will be reunited on Judgment Day.[9]
Other variations include “Requiescat in pace et in amore” for "May she rest in peace and love", “Requiescat in pace et in amore” and “In pace requiescat et in amore”. The word order is variable because Latin syntactical relationships are indicated by the inflexional endings, not by word order. However, if “Rest in peace” is used in an imperative mood, it would be “Requiesce in pace” (acronym R.I.P.)in the 2nd. person singular, or “Requiescite in pace” in the 2nd.person plural. [10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_in_peace

Wiki: for what it is worth.

Upvote 0

Kitty.

Jun 27, 2010
South
✟16,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The phrase in English was not found on tombstones before the eighth century.[6][7] It became common on the tombs of Catholics in the 18th century for whom it was a prayerful request that their soul should find peace in the afterlife. When the phrase became conventional, the absence of a reference to the soul led people to suppose that it was the physical body which was enjoined to lie peacefully in the grave.[8] This is associated with the Catholic doctrine of the particular judgment which is that the soul is parted from the body upon death but that they will be reunited on Judgment Day.[9]

This is what Wikipedia says about it.

I have always taken it to meant resting in peace in Heaven with Jesus and His saints.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,697,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
History of the abbreviation R.I.P.
History of the abbreviation R.I.P. | Ask MetaFilter

"Rest in peace" (Latin: Requiescat in pace) is a short epitaph or idiomatic expression wishing eternal rest and peace to someone who has died. The expression typically appears on headstones, often abbreviated as "RIP". The backronym "rest in paradise" is also common as a variation. The phrase or acronym is commonly found on the grave of Catholics,[1] as it is derived from the burial service of the Roman Catholic church, in which the following prayer was said at the commencement and conclusion:[2]
“Anima eius et animae omnium fidelium defunctorum per Dei misericordiam requiescant in pace.”
In English, it is rendered as[3]
“May his soul and the souls of all the departed faithful by God's mercy rest in peace.”
To satisfy a vogue for rhyming couplets on tombstones, the phrase has been parsed as:[4]
“Requiesce
cat in pace”
Originally in Hebrew in Isaiah (57, 2):
“...will come in peace, and they will rest in their beds, he who goes straightforward.”
Found inscribed in Hebrew on gravestones, in the 1st century BC graveyard of Bet Shearim. This verse speaks of the righteous person who passed away, because he could not stand the evil surrounding him. A recapture of these words read as "come and rest in peace" has been transferred to the ancient Talmudic prayers in a mixture of Hebrew and Aramaic of the 3rd century AD, and used to this day in traditional Jewish ceremonies.[5]
Other variations include “Requiescat in pace et in amore” for "May she rest in peace and love", “Requiescat in pace et in amore” and “In pace requiescat et in amore”. The word order is variable because Latin syntactical relationships are indicated by the inflexional endings, not by word order. However, if “Rest in peace” is used in an imperative mood, it would be “Requiesce in pace” (acronym R.I.P.)in the 2nd. person singular, or “Requiescite in pace” in the 2nd.person plural. [10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_in_peace

Wiki: for what it is worth.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Thoughts?

Peace means the peace of Christ which means that when the Jewish high priests would offer the atonement, if the sacrifice was accepted, he would come out and say "peace be with you" meaning you have made your peace with God. The sacrifice was accepted.

Notice in the bible when Christ rose from the dead and, the first thing He said when He appeared to His apostles was "peace be with you..."

Jesus being the high priest as well as the Lamb offered for our sins, His offering and Himself (the Lamb) was accepted by the Father and so He has made His peace with us.

When we grant peace after communion, this is what we are in essence saying- God made peace with us for our sin, so we do the same. Christ has made peace between you and I. We are brothers and sistes now. No longer at each others throat... cause that is what the sin of mankind did, pit us against God and one another.

So when we say may the dead RIP we mean, may they rest, God has made His peace with them... may God grant that they eneter into this rest, the joy of heaven. This sad life is now over.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I dunno, I don't want to rest in peace. I want to be at peace in Christ, with Christ, with the Saints and angels in heaven.

I hereby will no longer use the term "rest in peace." It just doesn't seem consistent with our beliefs, with my beliefs.

:confused:

what?

have you read a post in this tread at all?

It means that God has made His peace with us and we do not have to suffer His wrath when we die which is HELL FIRE.

Darn right I hope I "rest in peace" when I die. I do not want to go to hell.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
Since the liturgical example of the famous Requiem introit has alread been provided above, here are some biblical examples:

Matt. 11:29 Take up my yoke upon you, and learn of me, because I am meek, and humble of heart: and you shall find rest to your souls.

Hebrews 4:1 Let us fear therefore lest the promise being left of entering into his rest, any of you should be thought to be wanting. 2 For unto us also it hath been declared, in like manner as unto them. But the word of hearing did not profit them, not being mixed with faith of those things they heard. 3 For we, who have believed, shall enter into rest; as he said: As I have sworn in my wrath; If they shall enter into my rest; and this indeed when the works from the foundation of the world were finished. 4 For in a certain place he spoke of the seventh day thus: And God rested the seventh day from all his works. 5 And in this place again: If they shall enter into my rest. 6 Seeing then it remaineth that some are to enter into it, and they, to whom it was first preached, did not enter because of unbelief: 7 Again he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, Today, after so long a time, as it is above said: Today if you shall hear his voice, harden not your hearts. 8 For if Jesus had given them rest, he would never have afterwards spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a day of rest for the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, the same also hath rested from his works, as God did from his. 11 Let us hasten therefore to enter into that rest; lest any man fall into the same example of unbelief.

Rev. 14:13 And I heard a voice from heaven, saying to me: Write: Blessed are the dead, who die in the Lord. From henceforth now, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; for their works follow them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
But why REST? You guys are missing the importance of words. It does not imply being animate or conscious. It implies being asleep.

No, it implies your early life as a fallen sinner is now over and you died in God's friendship (peace) so rest in peace, because the devil will not be hounding you anymore nor will your flesh get in the way anymore.

Upvote 0

Vendetta

Convert to the RCC
Nov 4, 2008
Michigan
✟16,831.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, rest does not necessarily imply sleep. It could, but it's an ambiguous term. Our weary journey through the mortal realm is over. God is peace. Rest in him. It has no conflict with Catholic ideology. Really, it's just arguing semantics anyway. In this context, the term "rest in peace" could just as easily be rendered as "be in peace".

On that note, I love the Latin language. Requiescat in pace is probably one of my favorite phrases.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It's funny--I always wondered why Evangelicals would pray this. It's a prayer for the dead, which is usually seen by evangelicals as a Romish corruption.

It's entered the cultural consciousness - unfortunately not with the fuller "... and rise in glory."

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Yeah, rest does not necessarily imply sleep. It could, but it's an ambiguous term. Our weary journey through the mortal realm is over. God is peace. Rest in him. It has no conflict with Catholic ideology. Really, it's just arguing semantics anyway. In this context, the term "rest in peace" could just as easily be rendered as "be in peace".

On that note, I love the Latin language. Requiescat in pace is probably one of my favorite phrases.

I wonder if Paul would not get shouted down for using sleep as a metaphor by some people.

the problem with RIP is not that there is no sense of rest at the end of the journey but that, on it's own, it gives the impression that that is all there is and fails to express the ultimate hope of resurrection. "rest in peace - and rise in glory" is way better.

Upvote 0