Why do I feel so much anxiety when it comes to gay marriage?

MYAC1

Jun 24, 2012
Finland
✟7,658.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't support "gender-neutral" marriage, because the Bible clearly says that marriage is a holy constitution between a man and a woman. Then, when I'm under pressure by reading texts about how the Bible is wrong and listen to people complaining to me about how homosexuals should have the right to marriage, I get anxiety. I have nothing against homosexuals, referring to the Golden Rule and the Great Commandment, but I just can't accept them getting married...

I don't understand why I feel so much pressure in my heart about this.

C

crimsonleaf

Possibly because of a number of reasons:

You see it as an attack on the historical institution and understanding of heterosexual marriage as being true marriage.

You see it as an attack upon the Church.

You see that your resistance to it will bring derision from other people.

You see it as a sign that society is moving away from God's word (even further).

I share your discomfort.

Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi MYAC,

While I absolutely don't agree that such laws and policies are in keeping with God's desire for people, I don't share your anxiety. My encouragement is to read the letter Paul wrote to the Romans. Just the first chapter, as we divide the Scriptures. From that piece of Scripture the born again believer should clearly know and understand that the 'world' is going to go that way. Honestly, rather than anxiety, it should be a further confirmation that God's word is true.

My feelings when I see such things beginning to come about is that surely the end must be near. I don't know how near, but I find it hard to believe that things could get much worse for much longer. Along with such changes in society at large also comes the persecution that we have been promised because it does set the born again believer further outside the new 'normal' of society.

People like us who voice our understanding of the truth of God's word are finding ourselves increasingly mocked and ridiculed and even called hateful because of our choosing to believe the truth of God's word over and above the 'truth' of the world.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You're a Christian, so you should know that the Bible isn't wrong. It sounds like you need better reading material. I'm not interested in books that contradict the Bible, and neither should you be.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't feel anxiety about this issue. Homosexual relationships are sinful, and marriage by Biblical definition is exclusively between a man and a woman for life. I don't see a reason to be anxious about that. Sinners are going to do what sinners do. As long as we represent Christ well and retain our freedom, we'll be fine.

Upvote 0

opengate07

Oct 9, 2011
✟8,411.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Purge187

Former Prodigal.
May 22, 2011
Oxford, MA
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
What Crimsonleaf said.

Pray for more workers to be raised for the harvest so that our prayers to, and reverential fear of, God may offset His (rightful) judgment against the world.

One of my biggest fears is economic unrest. I know He can sustain us in times like those, though. May it be done.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For all of you who agreed with the feeling of anxiety, I'd add this. You know that "gay marriage" is not really the issue, but it's merely a wedge being used in order to further institutionalize pansexualism in every part of our society. If a few Lesbians wanted to live together and have the right to visit each other when hospitalized, few of us would care very much. You do, however, recognize where all this is going, and that produces a feeling of regret.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For all of you who agreed with the feeling of anxiety, I'd add this. You know that "gay marriage" is not really the issue, but it's merely a wedge being used in order to further institutionalize pansexualism in every part of our society. If a few Lesbians wanted to live together and have the right to visit each other when hospitalized, few of us would care very much. You do, however, recognize where all this is going, and that produces a feeling of regret.

I agree. I would also add that it is also an issue of forced acceptance of such issues. Not only do they want to normalize all sorts of sexual deviance, but they want to force us to like it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree. I would also add that it is also an issue of forced acceptance of such issues. Not only do they want to normalize all sorts of sexual deviance, but they want to force us to like it.

You are right to have added that. They insist that we accept their standards of morality, and if we do nothing other than say we do not agree--we are deemed "haters." Next, watch for the drive to make disagreement "hate speech" punishable in law.

Upvote 0

Touchemama

Aug 27, 2010
✟7,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gay lifestyle has been around since the beginning of time. To become anxious over gay marriages is a waste of time. All that is is a piece of paper from man and not from God.
I would much rather waste my time reading my bible and following Jesus example of love the sinner but hate the sin.
We are all born into this sinful world and have to live in it but it does not mean we have to partake in its sins. Remember God created us to be able to make the choice to sin or not to sin.

I would much rather have God honor my marriage than man, and that is a whole another story.

May God bless us all and give us peace.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The gay lifestyle has been around since the beginning of time. To become anxious over gay marriages is a waste of time. All that is is a piece of paper from man and not from God.
I would much rather waste my time reading my bible and following Jesus example of love the sinner but hate the sin.
We are all born into this sinful world and have to live in it but it does not mean we have to partake in its sins. Remember God created us to be able to make the choice to sin or not to sin.

I would much rather have God honor my marriage than man, and that is a whole another story.

But a lot of people think it matters where their tax monies go, what their children are taught in school, what the laws demand, and so on. If we take to a cave with a Bible and simply have our meals sent in, I supposed little of that would matter.

Upvote 0

Touchemama

Aug 27, 2010
✟7,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We can not control where our tax dollars goes. Even when we veto the proposition the politicians go to court and get it overturned.
Isn't it time parents take responsibility for what their children are taught and go to the schools to find out?
Where did I say anything about hiding in a cave and having my meals catered to me?
You know there was a time when parents could balk at what the schools taught and get it changed but now with the NEA parents have no choices.
When God handed down the laws to Moses, Moses instructed the people to teach their children also and for generations to come.
So now should we not get back to the basics and have a study time with our children as an extension of what the church sunday school and sermons teach so they can learn what is right from wrong and what is sinful? They certainly will not get that in school. In fact I heard they are teaching homosexuality in kindergarden with the book 'I Have Two Mommy's or Two Daddies'. Kids that age could care less. That teaching then progresses right up into high school and it is more than be tolerant and accepting a gay kid in school.
We may have to tolerate gay marriages but we certainly do not have to accept it!
In fact I read not to long ago that the President is going to go after private christian schools and try and close them down.

I am sorry for high jacking this blog.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We can not control where our tax dollars goes. Even when we veto the proposition the politicians go to court and get it overturned.
Isn't it time parents take responsibility for what their children are taught and go to the schools to find out?
Where did I say anything about hiding in a cave and having my meals catered to me?

My point was just this:

While we would prefer to shut the world out, we cannot. We are going to live in it and have it all around us, like it or not. And it matters because society does alter our own lives. Therefore, unless you own your own desert isle and are content to live there so as not to be disturbed by the sinful world, you have to deal with it.

Remember the famous admonition about that problem--you're IN the world but you don't have to be OF the world. The first part of that is as true as the more-often discussed second part.

Upvote 0

chiwawa

Jun 21, 2010
✟7,756.00
Faith
Christian

Agreed.

If gay marriage makes you anxious.....oh, boy. There are much worse things in the world, so the OP must feel anxious 24/7.

Upvote 0

McMatt

Master Debater
May 9, 2013
Canada
✟15,945.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't support "gender-neutral" marriage, because the Bible clearly says that marriage is a holy constitution between a man and a woman. Then, when I'm under pressure by reading texts about how the Bible is wrong and listen to people complaining to me about how homosexuals should have the right to marriage, I get anxiety. I have nothing against homosexuals, referring to the Golden Rule and the Great Commandment, but I just can't accept them getting married...

I wouldn't say it is anything to concern yourself with. People will do as they please, and god did sanction free will. Another individuals ssm won't affect you or your walk, nor will it affect mine. The world is a secular place. We see marriage as a sacred act between a couple and god, but those who do not hold religious beliefs see it as a legal document giving their chosen significant other rights to certain things that you cannot get without getting married. Marriage has a different definition to us than it does to those outside the church.

Upvote 0

RaisinOatmeal

Fetchez la vache!
Jun 23, 2013
Here and there
✟15,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It's true that there are many disturbing things happening in the world today, and I anticipate that they will get worse. The Christian life is not meant to be a picnic but a war - some anxiety is to be expected. It means you are no longer complacent but actively participating in the struggle for truth. If you haven't done so, it's not too late to start "girding up your loins" (Ephesians 6) :thumbsup:

Take heart though - Christianity tends to thrive in the face of persecution and tribulation, when people are no longer allowed to be vague, but forced to make a stand and sometimes pay the price for it. I consider that a form of victory and rest in the assurance that God is still in control no matter how bleak and scary things seem to be :)

Upvote 0