Why do Christians have different interpretation of Scriptures"

franky67

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2005
✟21,351.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Why is it that if a scripture of passage was given that 10 people could have a different interpretation of the scripture? If so, then which of the 10 is the correct interpretation?

Many adult Christians today grew up in church, by that I mean they were in church as children.

If you were a child in a "pentecostal" type denomination, you were taught what the adults in the church believed.

If you were a child in a church founded on Calvinist beliefs, you would be taught what the adults believed.

And so and so on.

Now, during this time of Sunday School indocrination the children didn't read their bibles much, and what they did read, they probably didn't understand.

When these children grew to adults, they began to study the word, and that's when the diverse interpretations came out.

If you have been carefully taught a certain doctrine, then you will find that doctrine in the scriptures you study, regardless of the core truth that may lie in the verses.

Just my take on it.

Upvote 0
G

GodDreamer

Why is it that if a scripture of passage was given that 10 people could have a different interpretation of the scripture? If so, then which of the 10 is the correct interpretation?

I think a large part of it has to do with we all bring our different baggage to the scripture....or we are reading the word through tinted glasses...and will most likely interpret it based on our own experiences and preconceived beliefs...We also have the tendency to read the scripture looking backwards, instead of reading it forwards; basically we forget to look at the scripture through the eyes of the people who were actually living then and through their cultural lenses. also, some passages can have multiple meanings that not everyone picks up on all of them at the same time...it's just important that all those "interpretations" line up with the rest of scripture.....hope that helps. Is there a specific passage you are referring to? That might help in better explaining, if we can use an actual passage as an example.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
is this thread about the meaning of scripture or the application of scripture. Scripture means only what it meant to those who heard it when it was spoken.

For instance, the oft quoted passage, if my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face, then I will hear from heaven, forgive their sin and heal their land. Many believers today think that by using this passage that if they seek God's face and humble themselves then God will heal their land... but this scripture does not mean that. It meant what it meant in the context in which it was originally given.

but

we can draw out issues of applicability and look for how its principles might apply to believers, but that is very different from its meaning.

So how do we interpret the meaning of scripture... the first key is context, biblically, archeologically, economically, politically, socially, philosophically, religiously. We need to consider as much of these things when we read scripture so we do not interpret it within our own frame of reference. In essence, to understand how to interpret scripture we have to mentally time travel. Place ourselves back in its original hearing. Then the scriptures will bear fruit to us. In essence we need to study harder...

but I suspect this thread is more to do with applicability of scripture, not the interpretation/meaning of it.

Steve

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Maybe none of the 10 are correct!

If your interpretation of scripture enables you to be more like Jesus, to bring more of the fruits of the spirit into your life, more love, more kindness, more compassion, more gentleness................then it cannot be far wrong!

:)

Upvote 0

BoyRescue

Jun 8, 2009
✟15,241.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
@franky67 - I agree. How do can we as the church avoid and overcome that pattern?

@GodDreamer - I don't have a specific passage, but I do wonder about specific topics like speaking in tongues. Some Christians believe that it has ceased and others believe that it still exist today using various scriptures and different interpretations. How can one who does not know whether it is true or not find out thru the scriptures if there are different interpretations?

@cyberlizard - I'm speaking more about the meaning of scripture. Regarding your quoted passage - can't we apply the same principles of that passage today and believe that our land will be healed?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@GodDreamer - I don't have a specific passage, but I do wonder about specific topics like speaking in tongues. Some Christians believe that it has ceased and others believe that it still exist today using various scriptures and different interpretations. How can one who does not know whether it is true or not find out thru the scriptures if there are different interpretations?

Does speaking in tongues aid you in your walk with the Lord?

If so, why worry about interpretations?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some may say no and some may say yes. How would someone who doesn't know, know if it does or doesn't?

When you speak in tongues yourself it makes all theological discussion irrelevant.

Did you ever read that story in the bible where Peter went to Cornelius house and preached the gospel to those gentiles?

The Jewish believers were all arguing with themselves if gentiles could be saved and they summoned Peter to give account.

But it was all irrelevant. Those gentiles had already been saved and filled with the Holy Spirit.

So the discussion was irrelevant.

Do you see what I mean:)

Some people say tongues are not for today. But I speak in tongues and to me it's an irrelevant debate.

Upvote 0
G

GodDreamer

@franky67 - I agree. How do can we as the church avoid and overcome that pattern?

@cyberlizard - I'm speaking more about the meaning of scripture. Regarding your quoted passage - can't we apply the same principles of that passage today and believe that our land will be healed?

Ok, thanks...that helps me think :) Well I'm not going to answer your question because then it is just another voice giving you their interpretation....in these situations, it best to study the scripture yourself....hope that doesn't sound mean....but really....the only way to establish what you believe, and what you think is biblical, and what the Holy Spirit is telling you is true about Scripture, is to really study it yourself....it's ok to get other people's opinions and input too... actually I think that's part of the beauty of being a Christian....we all bring different perspectives to the Scripture...which I think helps us grow and gets us thinking....especially when you get the different perspectives that make you go..."hmmm....i've always thought this way....but maybe this person is right....time to study!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

At a pastor’s breakfast I hosted in c.1993, I was told by my guest, Dr. Arthur Farstad, executive editor of the translation committee for the New King James Version Bible, that a new English translation is warranted every decade or so because the English language is in constant flux and, in order for scripture to be generally understood in the contemporary vernacular, it requires a new translation or, at the very least, a revision of an existing one.

~Jim

Love God. Love people. Period.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I think a lot of it has to do with assumptions, good or bad, that are made before the text is ever opened. People use different methods of interpretation which predictably yields different conclusions.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
There are often assumptions that people make without even being aware that they have made them.

For example , not all people are equally diligent in studying and are not all equally well informed. Yet people insist that all interpretations must be equally respected and valued.

In the following passage there are two different Greek words both translated as love in the English. One is Agape and one is Phileo. The simple explanation of these two words is that one is G-d type love and one is friendship type love. I am not sure it is quite that simple but nevertheless there are two different Greek words , each with a slightly different meaning. A person who is unfamiliar with the Greek will not even know to ask the question of why two different words are used.

Joh 21:15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
Joh 21:16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
Joh 21:17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

There are thousands of examples of lack of knowledge of the original language or cultural back round.

In this scripture the phrase " verily , verily " is actually amen , amen. An understanding of what amen means and specifically what the double amen meant when used by a Jewish rabbi is helpful for understanding.

Joh 3:9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
Joh 3:10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
Joh 3:11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.

Another issue is that sometimes people take something out of context. Not just the immediate context , but the context of the rest of scripture, also.

A third issue is the condition of the heart of the person reading the scripture. Jesus taught in parables not to make it easier to understand.It is actually the opposite. He taught in parables to hide some truth from those with wrong hearts and motives. Some truth is obvious to the casual reader and other truth is found only by those who are his true disciples.

Mat 13:10 Jesus' disciples came to him and asked, "Why do you use nothing but stories when you speak to the people?"
Mat 13:11 Jesus answered: I have explained the secrets about the kingdom of heaven to you, but not to others.
Mat 13:12 Everyone who has something will be given more. But people who don't have anything will lose even what little they have.
Mat 13:13 I use stories when I speak to them because when they look, they cannot see, and when they listen, they cannot hear or understand.
Mat 13:14 So God's promise came true, just as the prophet Isaiah had said, "These people will listen and listen, but never understand. They will look and look, but never see.
Mat 13:15 All of them have stubborn minds! Their ears are stopped up, and their eyes are covered. They cannot see or hear or understand. If they could, they would turn to me, and I would heal them."

I could go on. But , the idea is that there are lots of reasons why people understand the scripture differently. Different maturity levels , differing heart attitudes , differing amounts of diligent effort , differing amounts of knowledge. Sometimes even malicious attempt to deceive by false believers and cults seeking to lead some astray.

Remove all of that , and the possibility still remains of a legitimate difference of opinion.

My main point though was to point out the assumption that all Christians have equal ability and have put in equal effort into understanding a passage.

Take a guy who has a proven walk with The Lord for forty years and spends years becoming fluent in Hebrew and Greek , weeks of fasting and soul searching about a passage. This guy has read the bible from cover to cover 197 times. Versus a guy who just got saved last week and throws something out off the top of his head as his first reaction to a passage. Is it sensible to treat both as equally valid interpretations ?

This assumption that all have equally valid interpretations is silly. No one likes to be offended in this area and think of themselves as being less capable in this area. But not all are Theologians.

Reactions: Rose_bud
Upvote 0

BoyRescue

Jun 8, 2009
✟15,241.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
@lismore - Yes, I agree that when one speaks in tongues it does make all theological discussion irrevelant. Good scriptural support btw :). I understand the point of view from one who speaks in tongues, but what about those who don't and are confused about it because of different interpretations?

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Why is it that if a scripture of passage was given that 10 people could have a different interpretation of the scripture?

Because interpretation is subjective. Contrary to popular fundamentalist belief, it's impossible for a human being to objectively interpret Scripture. Scripture itself tells us that we only know partially now, we can only see dimly as if through a dark mirror. We cannot remove ourselves from our preconceived notions, our biases, our prejudices, or our assumptions.

If so, then which of the 10 is the correct interpretation?
Maybe none of them are.

This is why we MUST ask for God to give us wisdom and we MUST seek His face and listen to His voice. We have to have the Holy Spirit teach us the Truth and not rely on our own understanding of things.

The problem is that fundamentalists have rejected the Holy Spirit - believing that the Bible is enough. But without revelation of its meaning, the Bible is useless to us. The Holy Spirit has to give us the understanding of it.

Humans will never all agree about the meanings. There will always be passages that we think we understand but which we haven't received real revelation of yet. We have to be humble and recognize that we're always learning, always growing. We can't be so dogmatic about anything that we refuse to listen or refuse to change our minds.

Show me a Christian who has never changed his mind about an interpretation or a doctrine, and I'll show you a Christian who's not mature.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Because interpretation is subjective. Contrary to popular fundamentalist belief, it's impossible for a human being to objectively interpret Scripture. Scripture itself tells us that we only know partially now, we can only see dimly as if through a dark mirror. We cannot remove ourselves from our preconceived notions, our biases, our prejudices, or our assumptions.

Maybe none of them are.

This is why we MUST ask for God to give us wisdom and we MUST seek His face and listen to His voice. We have to have the Holy Spirit teach us the Truth and not rely on our own understanding of things.

The problem is that fundamentalists have rejected the Holy Spirit - believing that the Bible is enough. But without revelation of its meaning, the Bible is useless to us. The Holy Spirit has to give us the understanding of it.

Humans will never all agree about the meanings. There will always be passages that we think we understand but which we haven't received real revelation of yet. We have to be humble and recognize that we're always learning, always growing. We can't be so dogmatic about anything that we refuse to listen or refuse to change our minds.

Show me a Christian who has never changed his mind about an interpretation or a doctrine, and I'll show you a Christian who's not mature.

I agree.

Upvote 0

BoyRescue

Jun 8, 2009
✟15,241.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Maybe none of them are.

Very good point. Thank you for your input. :)

Upvote 0

franky67

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2005
✟21,351.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Denominational beliefs are deep seated, and the leadership are not likely to change basic beliefs.

Interesting that the subject of things which have "ceased" should come up.
I believe that ANY thoughtful bible student can easily refute cessationism.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The correct interpretation is the one that accurately understands what the passage means. The correct meaning of any passage resides in the pasage itself, regardless if any of the 10 people even come close to getting it right.

And regardless of what some had said, it does not mean different thing for different people. It means what it means. Period.

Upvote 0