Why did the devil enter Judas?

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think the Devil realized that was what Jesus was to accomplish or the total method if it all and thought by killing Jesus he would destroy God's plans but in actuality it was God's plan to die. It was only after the cross I think that Satan realized his mistake.

• Agree
Reactions: Jim Langston
Upvote 0

Sunshine Locket

This isn't what the Genie in the bottle promised
Apr 19, 2014
✟1,712.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Remember in Job how God and the Devil worked together to test Job?

John 13:26-27 Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a morsel, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the morsel, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon. 27. And after the morsel Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, What you do, do quickly.

How could satan enter into Judas after Christ dipped the bread into the wine and gave it to Judas when that was then a consecrated morsel? Unless Jesus let it happen? And had said the one to whom he gave that morsel would be his betrayer.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the devil didn't want Jesus to die for the sins of the world, why did he influence Judas to betray Christ?

Satan lives like us: in linear time. He can't see the future. God lives outside of time, so we sees everything in the present at all times. This is why he can allow Satan to be the ruler of earth in this age.

Satan actually thinks that he can thwart God's plans. As created beings, like animals, angels (which includes Satan) can't think like we can since our intellect is the image of God.

• Agree
Reactions: Jim Langston
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think Judas was entered by Satan, I think Judas had free will and he chose to betray Jesus. God is a sovereign God, therefore someone had to betray Jesus. Personally, I think it could have been anyone, Jesus had to be crucified.

Well that's not what scripture says... "Jesus then answered, "That is the one for whom I shall dip the morsel and give it to him." So when He had dipped the morsel, He took and gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot. After the morsel, Satan then entered into him. Therefore Jesus said to him, "What you do, do quickly." John13:26-27 and elsewhere

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
maybe I was wrong. I thought I remembered Jesus saying one among you is a demon

Do you think he meant it literally? How could Judas have been a demon if he was a human being? Sometimes people say things that aren't literally true. Some pastors and christian sites claim that Judas was a literal demon and the antichrist will be the reincarnation of Judas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StassiT

Dec 20, 2013
✟7,795.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well that's not what scripture says... "Jesus then answered, "That is the one for whom I shall dip the morsel and give it to him." So when He had dipped the morsel, He took and gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot. After the morsel, Satan then entered into him. Therefore Jesus said to him, "What you do, do quickly." John13:26-27 and elsewhere

I mean that it had to be someone

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't think the Devil realized that was what Jesus was to accomplish or the total method if it all and thought by killing Jesus he would destroy God's plans but in actuality it was God's plan to die. It was only after the cross I think that Satan realized his mistake.

Do you agree with this article?

Judas Iscariot, the Suicide of Satan, and the Salvation of the World | Desiring God

The second question is why Satan would lead Judas to betray Jesus. Doesn’t he know that the death and resurrection of Jesus would result in Satan’s final defeat (Colossians 2:13–15; Revelation 12:11)? There’s good reason to think Satan knew that.

But here he is in Luke 22:3 entering into Judas and leading him to betray the Lord and bring him to the cross. Why the about-face? Why try to divert him from the cross and then take the initiative to bring him to the cross? We are not told. Here is my effort at an answer: Satan saw his efforts to divert Jesus from the cross failing. Time after time, Jesus kept the course. His face was set like flint to die, and Satan concludes that there is no stopping him. Therefore he resolves that if he can’t stop it, he will at least make it as ugly and painful and as heartbreaking as possible. Not just death, but death by betrayal. Death by abandonment. Death by denial (see Luke 22:31–32). If he could not stop it, he would drag others into it and do as much damage as he could.

Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That explanation does make sense, I will say. It's sort of Satan's entire modus operandi. He can't defeat God, so he just does as much damage as possible.

What was the goal of using Judas? So Judas would be led away from God and would commit suicide?

Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What was the goal of using Judas? So Judas would be led away from God and would commit suicide?

Well God knew all of their hearts, as God knows everyone's hearts. So I can only conclude that God had His reasons for selecting Judas, even if we are not aware of those reasons. Maybe Judas was secretly a pretty bad dude, just covert about it. Don't know exactly; we can only know that again, God knows everyone's hearts, and so when God chose Judas, it was justified.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well God knew all of their hearts, as God knows everyone's hearts. So I can only conclude that God had His reasons for selecting Judas, even if we are not aware of those reasons. Maybe Judas was secretly a pretty bad dude, just covert about it. Don't know exactly; we can only know that again, God knows everyone's hearts, and so when God chose Judas, it was justified.

I was referring to why Judas was used by the devil to betray Jesus.

Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What about the sinning in Heaven?

Please help me out, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Was it something else in the piece you linked? I only read the part you quoted below the link, the part explaining the possible reason as to why Judas was used in the manner that he was.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Please help me out, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Was it something else in the piece you linked? I only read the part you quoted below the link, the part explaining the possible reason as to why Judas was used in the manner that he was.

I was referring to when satan lived in Heaven before he was cast out.

Upvote 0