YES!! Another possibility!!
Apr 14, 2006
✟8,301.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Liberals
[GENESIS 11]

Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. As men moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar and settled there. They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."
But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. That is why it was called Babel —because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth

The way I see it, humans were progressing very well. We built ourselves a nice city, spoke the same language and had a tower. Then God comes along, makes us speak different languages and scatters us across the earth all because we were doing well and had a nice city? Isn't that really, really immoral?

CSmrw

Jan 10, 2006
✟10,350.00
Faith
Atheist
You see, it's all very simple. The tower was to be to heaven. Heaven, of course, is not actually "up", per se. But these primative peoples didn't understand that. Why? None of your business. Anyway, God, fearing greatly that they might accidentally break the square cubed rule, or solve that problem and build the tower up to where the atmosphere is too thin to breathe and potentially suffocate, decided in the manner he used at that time, to completely destroy everything and then rub salt in the wounds by confusing people's ability to communicate. Lest they try to build another tower to heaven. Humans, you must remember, at that point in history were just north of drooling idiots. They were only able to build at all in the same manner that termites are. Accidentally and due to ...well, not evolutionary tendencies...um, it was one of God's many gifts to them that they were stupid enough to try to build a tower to a place that doesn't exist in this material plane but clever enough to build any kind of tower at all.

It's all very simple.

Upvote 0

MethodMan

Legend
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
relaxeus said:
[GENESIS 11]

Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. As men moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar and settled there. They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."
But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. That is why it was called Babel —because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth

The way I see it, humans were progressing very well. We built ourselves a nice city, spoke the same language and had a tower. Then God comes along, makes us speak different languages and scatters us across the earth all because we were doing well and had a nice city? Isn't that really, really immoral?

By who's standard?

Upvote 0

CSmrw

Jan 10, 2006
✟10,350.00
Faith
Atheist
Specifically regarding human diversity I can see beauty - and a great deal of ugliness, but mainly I see simple inevitability. As the original tribes spread out their languages "forgot" each other and new terms were added for new phenomena. I can sometimes barely understand people from the deep south and far north in my own country.

Upvote 0

relaxeus

Apr 14, 2006
✟8,301.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Liberals
kopilo said:
Personally I find the diversification of our world a beautiful thing.

From another perspective, these differences cause problems. Rascism, for one thing. Ethnic wars, another. Confusing and scattering us has hindered our ability to communicate with eachother and we have advanced much more slowly than we would have had God not done this to us. A lot of suffereing has come from this.

Upvote 0

setzie

Dec 20, 2004
NRW, Germany
✟1,917.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
relaxeus said:

Why is it immoral?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟379,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
relaxeus said:
By my standard, and by many other peoples. I would hope most people, because there doesnt seem to be a reasonable defense for what God did to us.

The questionableness of God's action is further compounded when you consider that God is supposedly omniscient. Why did He give everyone the same language in the first place? Especially since he would have forseen this would happen. Was this just another of God's "tests" of mankind to see how far we would go? (Again, even though he already knows the outcome?)

Just another of the OT myths which illustrates the incoherent and illogical nature of the biblical God.

Upvote 0
relaxeus said:
From another perspective, these differences cause problems. Rascism, for one thing. Ethnic wars, another. Confusing and scattering us has hindered our ability to communicate with eachother and we have advanced much more slowly than we would have had God not done this to us. A lot of suffereing has come from this.
The suffering has been caused by humans not God and without global perspectives and wars who really knows how far back we may actually have been as compared to now, don't forget a lot of technology and concepts have been developed because of wars.

Upvote 0

relaxeus

Apr 14, 2006
✟8,301.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Liberals
kopilo said:
The suffering has been caused by humans not God and without global perspectives and wars who really knows how far back we may actually have been as compared to now, don't forget a lot of technology and concepts have been developed because of wars.

If were a family to start with we would have gotten along much better. We spoke the same language and were geographically connected. God made our lives significantly worse by pitting us against eachother. Second, you can't justify wars because they give us better technologies.

Upvote 0
relaxeus said:
If were a family to start with we would have gotten along much better. We spoke the same language and were geographically connected. God made our lives significantly worse by pitting us against eachother. Second, you can't justify wars because they give us better technologies.
Firstly you should notice that my character is wearing an anti-war badge.

Secondly I'm just showing the other side of the coin, I still enjoy different cultures and different view points. War, hate and agression exists within every society, haven't you heard the term civial war. God has not commanded us to attack our neigbours, we are not pitted against our enimies, or do you not hold the book of Matthew to be true.

Do not blame God for our wars, it is our free will (as given by God) that we choose to commit such things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

salvation12288

Mar 28, 2006
USA
✟15,756.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
If we were all the same the world would be extremely boring! It also gives us a chance to travel the world and meet new people. If we all lived in the same area we wouldn't be able to multiply that well because we would be quite crowded. God had a plan and so we shouldn't question it like that!

Reactions: kopilo
Upvote 0

relaxeus

Apr 14, 2006
✟8,301.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Liberals
kopilo said:
Firstly you should notice that my character is wearing an anti-war badge.

War - was is it good for? Absolutly nothing! :thumbsup:

kopilo said:
War, hate and agression exists within every society, haven't you heard the term civial war

Like the American civil war? That was fought for the freedom of one race. Sure, there are wars in societies that speak the same language and are of the same ethnicity. There are also many wars because of our differences that were caused by God.

kopilo said:
Do not blame God for our wars, it is our free will (as given by God) that we commit such things.

So you credit God with giving us free will that has caused us to do all these horrible things and in the same sentence you say not to blame him? Is it beyond God to have done things differently for us, that we don't end up killing and hating eachother?

Upvote 0

relaxeus

Apr 14, 2006
✟8,301.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Liberals
salvation12288 said:
If we were all the same the world would be extremely boring! It also gives us a chance to travel the world and meet new people. If we all lived in the same area we wouldn't be able to multiply that well because we would be quite crowded. God had a plan and so we shouldn't question it like that!

Theres not much boredom among my friends, who are mostly of the same ethnic background. People would have gradually moved further and further away, space would not be an issue. His plan includes making our lives worse.

Upvote 0
relaxeus said:
War - was is it good for? Absolutly nothing! :thumbsup:

Like the American civil war? That was fought for the freedom of one race. Sure, there are wars in societies that speak the same language and are of the same ethnicity. There are also many wars because of our differences that were caused by God.

So you credit God with giving us free will that has caused us to do all these horrible things and in the same sentence you say not to blame him? Is it beyond God to have done things differently for us, that we don't end up killing and hating eachother?
I'm sure God could have done things differently, I mean why didn't God stop the bubonic plague or humans from commiting any sins..
However that type of discussion really belongs in the Christian Theology section, and I am not knowledgeble or wise enough to answer it. :)

I just don't see God to contradict the bible in such a manner, love thy enemy but I'll send you out to war.

Also people use differences as a justification for war, when in real terms evolution has a lot less blood shead.

Upvote 0

MethodMan

Legend
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
relaxeus said:
By my standard, and by many other peoples. I would hope most people, because there doesnt seem to be a reasonable defense for what God did to us.

God didn't do anything. We do it ourselves.

Upvote 0