Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Begone with your mind-reading witchcraft.

Didn't you ask this:

Is that the same Paul who tells slaves to obey their masters rather than to run away?

For your edification:

The Epistle to Philemon was written by Paul the Apostle to Philemon concerning a person believed to be a runaway slave named Onesimus. The traditional designation of Onesimus as a slave is doubted by some modern scholars.

SOURCE

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did Paul tell "Onesimus" to obey his master or not?

Yes, he did.

Onesimus was one of Philemon's servants who swiped some money from him and ran.

Paul is urging Philemon to forgive him.

Onesimus probably lived a good life with Philemon, but he swiped some money and ran.

God providently had Onesimus cross paths with Paul, and he got saved.

Paul urges Philemon to go back to Onesimus, and writes a letter to Philemon, urging him to forgive Onesimus and accept him as a brother in Christ.

What if your butler stole some money from you, ran off, met an evangelist who led him to Christ, then that evangelist wrote you a letter urging you to forgive your butler when he gives you your money back?

Would you do it?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, he did.

Onesimus was one of Philemon's servants who swiped some money from him and ran.

Paul is urging Philemon to forgive him.

Onesimus probably lived a good life with Philemon, but he swiped some money and ran.

God providently had Onesimus cross paths with Paul, and he got saved.

Paul urges Philemon to go back to Onesimus, and writes a letter to Philemon, urging him to forgive Onesimus and accept him as a brother in Christ.

What if your butler stole some money from you, ran off, met an evangelist who led him to Christ, then that evangelist wrote you a letter urging you to forgive your butler when he gives you your money back?

Would you do it?

I would never have a slave 'cause I'm not evil.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Do you know the difference between a slave and a butler?

I don't have either. Given the context of your first mention of "butler" (some how trying to personalize it) I took your reference to mean that the slave Onesimus worked in the role of "butler". I'd ask you to enlighten me, but frankly I don't care about Paul's slave friend as both are long dead and I find Paul's "morality" rather odious.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ran away, did he?

What a demeaning thing to say. To imply that I would have a slave (or even a butler) and to do so on the day after the bloody battle for Atlanta. It is as if you have no comprehension of my choice of avatar. He would send his bummers to collect your hidden hams, take your grain and horses, and burn down your house.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
People can be a slave to sin. But before the civil war, we had what they call chattel when one person owned another. How could anyone ever think something like this should be legal? They talk about slavery in the Bible, but that had to do with debt and you could only hold a person for 7 years. Then you had to set them free. If it was a prisoner of war the Jubilee was every 50 years. So no matter what, slavery could not go from generation to generation the way it did in Southern or Rebel America.
You might as well ask why the whole world had slavery and had it since the beginning of time.

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟40,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The short answer is that some of the "states" that were invited to sign the Declaration of Independence, then the Constitution of the United States, were slave economies. If the documents forbade slavery, then the Southern states never would have joined the Union.

Is this what your question was getting at?

Upvote 0