Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to work in a parish religious education office, and once when I was at that job, a parishioner asked me when the rapture would happen. If you don’t know what the rapture is, it’s basically the idea that true Christians will be saved from the worldwide tribulation that will precede the consummation of human history and the coming of the new creation foretold in the final chapters of the book of Revelation. This belief postulates that Jesus is going to come and take his followers to heaven with him so they can escape that tribulation, leaving everybody else to suffer through it. Now, when this person asked me about it, I was initially surprised, but then after a few moments, I realized that the question actually wasn't as odd as I thought it was.

See, the rapture is a Protestant idea; we Catholics don't believe in it. In fact, even most Protestants don't believe in it. The belief is barely a few hundred years old, and it's found mainly in American strands of Protestantism. In other countries, the idea isn't nearly as pervasive as it is here. And that's why I was surprised at this woman's question. I expected that a Catholic would know that the rapture isn't a Catholic belief. However, after a few moments, it dawned on me that the idea is so pervasive in American Christianity (which is largely Protestant) that of course it would seep into certain Catholic circles. It shouldn't have surprised me at all that a Catholic would hear so much about it that he would just assume it was a basic tenet of Christianity like the Trinity or the Incarnation.

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you. Very interesting. But do you know where the rapture originated from as it is so recent?
I’ve read it originated in late eighteenth, early nineteenth centuries. Didn’t really catch on till the twentieth century.

• Friendly
Reactions: YorkieGal
Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve read it originated in late eighteenth, early nineteenth centuries. Didn’t really catch on till the twentieth century.
Thank you.

This site (below) gave some clarification about versus and context re: rapture but also goes further into discussing pre-tribulation rapture belief or dispensationalists.

Thank you for helping me understand. I never questioned how I was raised to believe

The same site (above) goes into where this dispensationalist originated, by whom, etc.

I'm sure you know all of this but, as I said, I never questioned what I was taught apart from recently when I had a discussion with my mom because I wasn't reading the Bible in the way she was which meant it didn't align with how I was taught.

I will continue reading and thank you very much!

Upvote 0

Michael Snow

Sep 24, 2015
✟36,122.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟125,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And that's why I was surprised at this woman's question.
Just a quick question.

If the church is not taken out of the world, who is going to heaven?

Are you saying the church will never leave the earth at all?

Because the word rapture means caught up. So it seems inherent that caught up means leaving the earth at some point.

Rapture itself is not the point. The point is the timing. I assume you did not tell her that everybody stays on the earth for all eternity? Perhaps we will, but it seems that there are other locations besides the earth we can visit, no?

Upvote 0