Why Aren't More Protestants Pro-Life?

arundel

Jan 28, 2010
✟7,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've recently been convicted of my own inaction for helping the unborn and their moms. A few months back I started sidewalk counseling at a local abortion mill and last week attended my first pro-life event - Walk for Life West Coast.

I was challenged by the two evangelical pastors who spoke at the rally who both independently confessed and apologized on behalf of Protestants to the overwhelming majority of Catholics in the crowd for their inaction. I thought being pro-life was a strong unifying belief between Catholics and Protestants.

I spoke with several friends (evangelical & reformed protestants) throughout the country who confirmed this to be the case. One active pro-lifer friend said that at the pro-life initiatives his family has participated in over the years, the participants are either 90% or 100% Catholic.

When I first began sidewalk counseling the first question was, "what parish are you from?" The assumption was that I was Catholic.

My question is: Why aren't more Protestants pro-life? Why do Protestants have a reputation as being non-participants in fighting for the unborn?

Is it cultural? Is it theological? Is it a matter of priorities? Is it apathy?

Also, have you noticed this too? What can we do to change this?

To be sure I know that there are many active pro-life Protestants. But why are there so so so so so many more active pro-life Catholics? (far beyond any demographic explanations)

I've been apathetic for most of my life too, so I don't mean to condemn anyone. I voted pro-life and would argue for life when the topic came up (rarely), but never did anything about it. I'm just really surprised that the pro-life movement is primarily a Catholic initiative (at least by money donated and number of participants).

Thanks.

arundel

Jan 28, 2010
✟7,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Ishida. I'm sure that's true.

More anecdotal evidence of this disparity... I am well connected with the largest churches in our region. I know hundreds of Protestants in our community and maybe a dozen Catholics. At the Walk for Life event I saw ALL the Catholics I know, and ZERO of the Protestants I know. And the Catholics seemed to bump into more friends every minute. Mind you there were 30,000 people there.

I'm not saying no Protestants are pro-life. My family and extended family server regularly at crisis pregnancy centers. And another good friend generously funds many of the crisis pregnancy centers in our area. So I know there are Protestants helping, but curious why it's not more of a priority.

Maybe there are other areas where the majority of participants are Protestants, and Catholics don't care about?

Either way, it doesn't make sense. What do you think? Is it cultural? Is it theological? Is it a matter of priorities? Is it apathy?

Upvote 0

arundel

Jan 28, 2010
✟7,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It does seem that theology is part of the reason. Several of the larger churches in the area are part of the Presbyterian Church (USA), one of the most vocal pro-abortion denominations. I don't know if their particular communities actually line up with this part of their denomination, but I was shocked to see how pro-abortion the PC(USA) is.

But can this really explain the disparity? At least in my experience the majority of Protestants aren't of the liberal variety. Are there other reasons?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
i would say that part of it is, the Catholic Church is kind of a top down system, the head of our Church can say "abortion is wrong, the unborn are really people" and well that is that, the Protestant denominations are set up to kinda stear away one person, or even a small group of people, getting that kinda power

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟212,107.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
My question is: Why aren't more Protestants pro-life?

Isn't your question really "Why aren't more Protestants attending pro-life demonstrations?". You're basing your assumption that Protestants aren't pro-life because you haven't seen them. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're not (although they might not be), just that they're not as visible.

As for why that is, maybe there's something about Catholicism that results in more of them becoming activists than Protestants. It could also have something to do with the demographics of the area - if it's predominantly Catholic then naturally more Catholics are going to participate in these sorts of activities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armistead14

Mar 18, 2006
✟9,449.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think the clear reason is the Catholic church is an organized church in itself, where Protestants cover a much broader range of people.

The Catholic church really came about as a form of government. They have operated as a form of government for hundreds of years. When the Romans realized they couldn't control christianity, can't beat em, join em, but with a twist. The Roman government and parts of the church came together and united two views into one form of government religion. Much of the church followed the Roman way of life, creating many positions, ect. Doing this they basically could control every aspect or a persons life for the good or better. Sometimes I wonder if this is a better way.

Having this system, they're a much powerful group than others. Not to mention obtaining more wealth. Overall they are more educated. They have tools other groups don't have. They maintain a system of authority within the church, so you basically have a boss that can dictate and others are to follow without question.

The Protestants we could call rebels. They were not going to be held to a government style of religion. Not having a man on earth and a system of control, Protestants branched out into many denominations. As a group they don't have the organizational power of the Catholic Church. Each group operates seperately. Overall, a Pastor is over is little flock.

Catholics will always be a more powerful group when it comes to organized events that they stand against.

To me the bigger issue is why liberals aren't against abortion. Most liberal groups go out of their way to love and save things. Save the whales, save the fish, birds, save the planet. They will get radical just saving frog eggs, but have no concern for human eggs. They have thousands of groups willing to protect animals. In one town they shut down a highway so turtles mating could cross. I could never understand why this love of protection animal rights never crossed over in a desire to protect human life.

Upvote 0

AlAyeti

Just a guy
Jan 14, 2010
✟16,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've recently been convicted of my own inaction for helping the unborn and their moms. A few months back I started sidewalk counseling at a local abortion mill and last week attended my first pro-life event - Walk for Life West Coast.

I was challenged by the two evangelical pastors who spoke at the rally who both independently confessed and apologized on behalf of Protestants to the overwhelming majority of Catholics in the crowd for their inaction. I thought being pro-life was a strong unifying belief between Catholics and Protestants.

I spoke with several friends (evangelical & reformed protestants) throughout the country who confirmed this to be the case. One active pro-lifer friend said that at the pro-life initiatives his family has participated in over the years, the participants are either 90% or 100% Catholic.

When I first began sidewalk counseling the first question was, "what parish are you from?" The assumption was that I was Catholic.

My question is: Why aren't more Protestants pro-life? Why do Protestants have a reputation as being non-participants in fighting for the unborn?

To be sure I know that there are many active pro-life Protestants. But why are there so so so so so many more active pro-life Catholics? (far beyond any demographic explanations)

I've been apathetic for most of my life too, so I don't mean to condemn anyone. I voted pro-life and would argue for life when the topic came up (rarely), but never did anything about it. I'm just really surprised that the pro-life movement is primarily a Catholic initiative (at least by money donated and number of participants).

Thanks.

Focus On The Family is not a catholic organiation.

Evengelicalism, purely Pro-Life, is a non-catholic movement.

I know more pro-choice Catholics than I do Evangelical (protestant) Christians. Evengelical is synonymous with pro-Life. It's only recently that liberal forces have invaded The Church and co-opted the word. That is typical of "the Enemy" trying to spread the seeds of confusion. paul was all too familiar with invaders masquerading as believers within The Church. In all reality, it is the Evangelical movement of the conservatives (Protestants) that have caused the Catholics to take up the mantle of "Evangelicalism."

Which of course I am very happy to see.

Upvote 0

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Thanks.

Its actually one of the reasons why I left the protestant communities. They could not get anything straight or fixed on the difficult issues of morals like abortion, BC, gay marriage, divorce, etc. In my opinion this shows why the Catholic Church is the fullness of truth; because it doesn't waver and change its stance on difficult issues like morals. Look at whats happening to the Anglican Church and the Lutheran Church, liberal feminists and pro-abortionists are even in its ranks and presbytery.. The reformers must be turning in their graves..And while the Catholic Church itself has dissenters and schismatics('Catholics" for Choice comes to mind), they still don't have any power to actually change Church doctrine or the Church itself

The Church, the bullwark and pillar of truth, knows whats best for the people, not visa versa. Prideful people who think they have the authority to think that the Church can learn from them..The Anglican Church is a prime example of this and now look as to whats happened, even so far as to denying the divinity and saving power of Christ and posting mocking billboards that even insult Christ and the Virgin Mary..That is what happens when you let people tell the Church what they think it should be for the sake of "progression"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlAyeti

Just a guy
Jan 14, 2010
✟16,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Pro Choice Protestants is not a new thing. Sorry.

Making bad "choices" is not a new thing either.

Agreeing with the decisions of the SCOTUS is not always a Christian thing to do. In the case of abortion it is a sound apolgia to render to Caesar nothing at all.

Upvote 0

lux et lex

light and law
Jan 8, 2009
✟12,029.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not just agreeing with a SCOTUS decision...I would be pro choice if Roe was ever reversed and would work to fight against that inequality. Being pro choice is something I have prayed a lot about because church people tell me it's wrong, but the conversations I've had with God have been different. And I know which one I'll put my trust in.

Upvote 0

AlAyeti

Just a guy
Jan 14, 2010
✟16,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not just agreeing with a SCOTUS decision...I would be pro choice if Roe was ever reversed and would work to fight against that inequality. Being pro choice is something I have prayed a lot about because church people tell me it's wrong, but the conversations I've had with God have been different. And I know which one I'll put my trust in.

You've talked with God? And He (or She?) told you that killing an unborn child for convenience sake like changing a feminine product was OK?

Upvote 0

AlAyeti

Just a guy
Jan 14, 2010
✟16,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Its actually one of the reasons why I left the protestant communities. They could not get anything straight or fixed on the difficult issues of morals like abortion, BC, gay marriage, divorce, etc. In my opinion this shows why the Catholic Church is the fullness of truth; because it doesn't waver and change its stance on difficult issues like morals. Look at whats happening to the Anglican Church and the Lutheran Church, liberal feminists and pro-abortionists are even in its ranks and presbytery..

Schism is a good thing. Better than paying for child abusers and liberal ideologues to feel they have your commitment to their lifestyles.
The reformers must be turning in their graves..

Reformers? You do know what the reformation reformed don't you? The Catholic Church went through the largest "schism" in history. http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?historyid=ad03

And while the Catholic Church itself has dissenters and schismatics('Catholics" for Choice comes to mind), they still don't have any power to actually change Church doctrine or the Church itself

That may or may not be a healthy thing.

The Church, the bullwark and pillar of truth, knows whats best for the people, not visa versa.

Jesus chose very non-clergy people to be His voice.

Prideful people who think they have the authority to think that the Church can learn from them..

You haven't seen how Bishops and the Pope dress?

The Anglican Church is a prime example of this and now look as to whats happened, even so far as to denying the divinity and saving power of Christ and posting mocking billboards that even insult Christ and the Virgin Mary..That is what happens when you let people tell the Church what they think it should be for the sake of "progression"

Jesus and the disciples spoke on this. It is to be expected that demons would take up residence in The Church. They run most everything else, where else would you expect to find a liberal theology being implemented, a bar? Schism is the best way to handle a sneaky heretic that worms their way to authority in ANY denom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Focus On The Family is not a catholic organiation.

Evengelicalism, purely Pro-Life, is a non-catholic movement.

I know more pro-choice Catholics than I do Evangelical (protestant) Christians. Evengelical is synonymous with pro-Life. It's only recently that liberal forces have invaded The Church and co-opted the word. That is typical of "the Enemy" trying to spread the seeds of confusion. paul was all too familiar with invaders masquerading as believers within The Church. In all reality, it is the Evangelical movement of the conservatives (Protestants) that have caused the Catholics to take up the mantle of "Evangelicalism."

Which of course I am very happy to see.
The Evangelical groups have done a great job in the pro-life movemnet, lots of hard work has been done by them, also i have noticed that evangelical groups do a better job of working together then differant main line protestant denominations, it is not as good as they can do, but it has had a vast improvment over the years
what do you mean by Catholics taking up the "mantle of evangelicalism"?

Upvote 0