Why aren't christians doing anything

Fortunecookie

Mar 29, 2012
✟15,128.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In Iraq and Syria Christians are being slaughtered and oppressed by ISIS.
We've seen Kurdish people living abroad go back to Kurdistan to fight with the peshmerga that is aiding christians.

Why are there no Christians as far as I know taking up arms or atleast helping and supporting the Peshmerga or the Christian groups in Iraq?/

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We've seen Kurdish people living abroad go back to Kurdistan to fight with the peshmerga that is aiding christians.

Why are there no Christians as far as I know taking up arms or atleast helping and supporting the Peshmerga or the Christian groups in Iraq?/

While it isn't our job to crusade every injustice, I would at least like to see some sort of unity around the world for them too. At least, some prayers or international day of action. Twitter and Facebook helped overthrow a government, so it can be used for spiritual enrichment on a global scale.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
New Brunswick
✟16,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
We are commanded to pray for those who persecute us. We are like sheep to the slaughter, killed every day for the sake of Christ, by those who think they are doing the will of God.

Christians do not fight with guns, but with prayers, not for death, but for the Holy Spirit to come and change hearts, bring peace, and flourish life, and repentance.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟276,435.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Adjusted the question:

In Iraq and Syria Sunni Muslims are being slaughtered and oppressed by ISIS.

We've seen Kurdish people living abroad go back to Kurdistan to fight with the peshmerga that is aiding Sunni Muslims and Christians.

Why are there no Christians as far as I know taking up arms or at least helping and supporting the Peshmerga or the Muslim and Christian groups in Iraq?

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Christians as well as others who work in humanitarian capacities are striving to help them, but there's a limit on what can feasibly be done in such perilous circumstances. Foreigners have tried to provide healthcare and supplies, but it's virtually impossible to safely enter the regions and distribute aid.

Thousands of Christian Iraqis have joined the fight against ISIS, but it's not like they're David upon against Goliath and skillful strategy can make an impact. It's more like being David with his slingshot up against an army of bloodthirsty and well equipped Goliaths.

Thousands of young Christian Iraqis have joined the fight against ISIS ? but few have faith it will help | Public Radio International

But defending Iraq from ISIS has proved a challenge for everyone. And even as these men sign up — and pray for help — few Christians have much faith that any force in the country can protect them.

Another article:
.:Middle East Online:::.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟843,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Elizabethinhatcroppedcloser.jpg

MOD HAT ON

Ladies and gentlemen, this thread is now open after a small cleanup. If you notice a post of yours gone, but you received no notification, it responded to one that had been removed and would make no sense on its own.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Fortunecookie

Mar 29, 2012
✟15,128.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This post can be deleted. I see the question ahve already been rephrased.

--

My question is why is there so little Christian initiative to go and fight?

Why don't we see Christians standing up and taking up arms to defending a Christian population that is suffering from a campaign of genocide against them?

Or why don't we atleast see support for the peshmerga who is protecting the Christians.

I am dissapointed by having practically no Christian active military (but also humanitarian) involvement in the war.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,067.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Christians as well as others who work in humanitarian capacities are striving to help them, but there's a limit on what can feasibly be done in such perilous circumstances. Foreigners have tried to provide healthcare and supplies, but it's virtually impossible to safely enter the regions and distribute aid.

Thousands of Christian Iraqis have joined the fight against ISIS, but it's not like they're David upon against Goliath and skillful strategy can make an impact. It's more like being David with his slingshot up against an army of bloodthirsty and well equipped Goliaths.

Thousands of young Christian Iraqis have joined the fight against ISIS ? but few have faith it will help | Public Radio International

Another article:
.:Middle East Online:::.

Bolding mine.

I'd probably have let this slide with just about anyone else here. But not you. (Let me be clear that means I consider you a favorite).

Shepard's sling, not slingshot. A very effective weapon that can make a smooth rock almost as deadly as a rifle shot. But one that is hard to be accurate with.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟825,687.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Christians are not vigilantes or terrorists by default.

Raising money to help the Christian victims of these tragedies , mobilising some effective military muscle through their national governments e.g UK and USA ( with an international mandate) And prayer are more effective strategies.

The local armies are doing the fighting with allied air support. But i think this is not a conflict Christians want to be sucked into for the long term. Intervention is about tipping the balance to the lesser of 2 evils mainly. A better strategy is to get our people out of a doomed situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Bolding mine.

I'd probably have let this slide with just about anyone else here. But not you. (Let me be clear that means I consider you a favorite).

Shepard's sling, not slingshot. A very effective weapon that can make a smooth rock almost as deadly as a rifle shot. But one that is hard to be accurate with.

Ha, the correction has been duly noted. :) Thanks. I still clearly remember the page about David and Goliath from a coloring book depicting Biblical stories that we had in VBS when I was little, and it showed a slingshot. I just looked up a Shepherd's Sling and they don't look alike at all! But maybe the makers of the coloring book incorrectly used the slingshot for simplicity because it's easier to color in.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This post can be deleted. I see the question ahve already been rephrased.

My question is why is there so little Christian initiative to go and fight?

Why don't we see Christians standing up and taking up arms to defending a Christian population that is suffering from a campaign of genocide against them?

Or why don't we atleast see support for the peshmerga who is protecting the Christians.

I am dissapointed by having practically no Christian active military (but also humanitarian) involvement in the war.

im not sure what your concept of "christian" is....

love your enemy..
do good to those who harm you..
pray for those who despitefully use you..
Forgive...

not exactly a basis for military action.

Upvote 0

dana b

Dec 8, 2009
✟11,243.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Because Jesus taught us Christians to be ethical and moral. WE aren't up to fighting them because it is their land, they are not attacking us. They are trying to chase us out of their land. Seen from the Christian perspective, they have the high moral ground.

We attack and kill many of them with bombs. They then say "don't bomb us anymore or we will kill one guy publically." Then what did we do. Who is offending who in this case? I'd like to understand this better? This is confusing me. Who is the oppressor here?

Upvote 0

mafwons

Hi guys
Feb 16, 2014
✟11,177.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Because Jesus taught us Christians to be ethical and moral. WE aren't up to fighting them because it is their land, they are not attacking us. They are trying to chase us out of their land. Seen from the Christian perspective, they have the high moral ground.

We attack and kill many of them with bombs. They then say "don't bomb us anymore or we will kill one guy publically." Then what did we do. Who is offending who in this case? I'd like to understand this better? This is confusing me. Who is the oppressor here?

The opressor is the "free" world, as laughable as that whole idea is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The opressor is the "free" world, as laughable as that whole idea is.

+1.

This is also why it is so easy for "radical" non-western groups to get support from all people - even people from the West. Besides the point that most "radical" groups are product$ of the free world.

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican

Christians are doing something. We are dropping 100 pound hailstones on the 7th head of the beast.

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
im not sure what your concept of "christian" is....

love your enemy..
do good to those who harm you..
pray for those who despitefully use you..
Forgive...

not exactly a basis for military action.
wrong. You ignore other verses like Matthew 10:34 where Jesus said He came not to bring peace, but a sword. Whar are we to do with the sword, you ask? In Luke 19:27, we are commanded to kill the enemies of Jesus. That's what we are doing in Afghanistan, Iraq, and now Syria

Upvote 0

mafwons

Hi guys
Feb 16, 2014
✟11,177.00
Faith
Non-Denom
wrong. You ignore other verses like Matthew 10:34 where Jesus said He came not to bring peace, but a sword. Whar are we to do with the sword, you ask? In Luke 19:27, we are commanded to kill the enemies of Jesus. That's what we are doing in Afghanistan, Iraq, and now Syria

So is the U.S. military the sword Jesus brought. It is convenient that the enemies of Jesus are our enemies as well. I am not an expert on biblical interpretation, of course it does not take an expert to see how wrong those very foolish explanations are. To read Matthew 10:34 wirhout reading 33, or 35 or anything else to give it context still does not lend credence to such a foolish explanation. Why are violent religions other than Islam not being slain by this sword, I would say because they have no oil, but that is probably just speculation on my part.

In Matthew 28:19 just before ascending into heaven Jesus gave a last command to his diciples it was Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. That doesn't sound like a command to kill his enemies but to convert them.bring them into the fold and teach them.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Bolding mine.

I made such a sling when I was a kid, after seeing one used in a movie. After just a few minutes of practice I surprised myself by consistently hitting a telephone pole from a distance of 25 yards. And no, you wouldn't want to get hit with a rock 'slung' from one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0