Why are u a non-denominational christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTLauder

Aug 26, 2006
✟16,505.00
Faith
Protestant
Specific denominations exist because of differences in interpretation and practices. If you subscribe to one organization's particular set of doctrine and rituals that other people have institutionalized, then you would follow that denomination. Otherwise, you would simply follow God.

Divisions in the church is nothing new and Paul said it best in 1 Corinthians 1:10-13, 17:
"I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. For it has been reported to me by Chloe’s people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. What I mean is that each one of you says, "I follow Paul," or "I follow Apollos," or "I follow Cephas," or "I follow Christ." Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?...
For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.
"

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2007
✟15,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Denominations can be dangerous. While some don't mean any harm, the doctrine and practices is what separates people. We are suppose to be the body of Christ. It all started from 3 groups (Jews, Messianic Jews, Gentiles). Now, we go from 3 groups to 100 groups, groups/denominations whatever you want to call it (all the same to me). I am open to hear about people's denominations and I can respect them (as long they hold to the essentials of Christianity). But once they start making bold statements and claiming that other denominations is preaching false doctrine..thats when it becomes a problem.

Non-denominational is the best way to go. Be loving, be open, and be respectful. At my church, they are people from all Christian backgrounds, Reformers, Penecostal, Baptist.....we welcome all.

Upvote 0

JTLauder

Aug 26, 2006
✟16,505.00
Faith
Protestant
I'm talking about the services, the nondenominational church services around us use the services of other denomintations but aren't affiliated with them, are they all like this?

What do you mean by "use the services" of other denominations?

I used to go to this one independent church that didn't have its own baptismal pool (sorry I don't know if there's another technical word for it).
So we used the baptismal pool of a different denomination church nearby for all our baptism services.

And when I was in college, our college interdenominational Christian group would sometimes use the facilities of different churches, some of specific denominations, for our retreats.

Is that what you mean? Or do you mean, that your non-denominational church body sat in the same worship services with a denomination congregation?

Obviously, I'm focusing on the word "services" to figure out how to answer your question since that's the word you're using. But maybe you're asking more about the practices and rituals of denominations instead?

If so, then without knowing the specifics of what practices and rituals you're asking about, maybe those practices aren't really associated with only a certain denomination.

Upvote 0

ctay

What a wonderful day the Lord has made
Jul 9, 2005
Alabama
Visit site
✟365,066.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm talking about the style of service and teachings. There's a church near me that was nondemonitational and the pastor left, their services, teachings and that were so much like the Assemblies of God that the church went with them, Its now an Assembly of God church. There is another church that used to be Lutheran now its non denominational but they still follow a lot of what the Lutheran church does or believes in.

Upvote 0

tomcat99

Sep 11, 2008
✟15,114.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi people. I am new to this forum, so this is my very first post...

I have recently moved from a Baptist church to a non-denominational church. Of course its not really non-denominational because its Protestant in its doctrine. I loved my Baptist church but moved house and had to relocate. I checked out the Baptist churches in my new area but none of them contained the focus, passion and enthusiasm that I was used to.

I am well aware of some of the garbage that some (not all, or even most) non denominational churches teach, so I was very wary of making the change. But in my search for a truely Christ centred church, I was forced away from my Baptist roots. The fact is that it matters little the denominational badges that churches wear, the leadership in most churches today hold more sway than the denomination.

I think if a church is focused on Christ, and as such has a real passion for mission (locally and internationally) then you are off to a better start than just blindly following a denomination.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
... because I don't believe in denominations, I believe in Christ.

Same here; I don't believe in "denominations" either, so that one might say that I am "non-denominational" :Das well. I don't belong to any "denomination," only the Holy Catholic Church!;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

arielette

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2004
✟55,330.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What I once thought was to be non-denominational, was to reject the idea of denominations, but I found this was not the reason for non-denominational churches to operate the way they do. In essence they do not have to report to any body over them. They are free to use any traditions they like from other denominations. I used to believe I was non-denominational until I understood this. What I was looking for was believers who believed like I do, that the children of God are his church. I feel I belong to all or no denominations depending on the people in the church.

What I found is that non-denominational churches have some form of protestant service, that they feel is appropriate to themselves. What I was hoping for was a belief that was "catholic" not in the traditions of the Roman Catholic church, but in the understanding that there is only one Church and we all belong to it or do not by our faith in Christ.

Upvote 0

ben-socha

Sep 18, 2008
United Kingdom
✟7,611.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Denominations can be dangerous. While some don't mean any harm, the doctrine and practices is what separates people.
Holy Words - I would say. That's why I was separated. But not only this - also people: narrow-minded and unjust, who speak a lot but do nothing or they behave exactly in opposition to what Yeshua said. And they don't care at all. And of course I have heard an explaination: all the body of Christ is build on unperfect people who sometimes make mistakes.
Yes, but:
Making mistakes because of obvious unperfection and making mistakes all the time because you simply don't care -that is the real difference !

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,242,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just wanted to Get peoples views on it I found out not to long ago that I was in a non-denominational church and its all Good cause I thought I was just christian denomination to me dont matter u know I love Jesus thats all that matter so why are u non-denominational?

Different denominations have different ways of seeing things, so I feel I'd be stunting my growth spiritually (or at least potentially missing out on something grand) by committing to only one. God can use any denomination to teach us things, I believe. At this point, as a non-church-attending Christian, I don't even swear allegiance to a singular congregation, let alone denomination, preferring to learn beyond the limited scope of what only one pastor (or pastoral team) could teach me.

Upvote 0

Tavita

beside quiet waters He restores my soul..
Sep 20, 2004
Singleton NSW
✟7,551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
AU-Liberals
My husband and I don't go to any particular denomination, we fellowship with a group of people from all over the world online in a live Bible study and chatbox every Sunday. And we also keep in contact through email, telephone and Skype. We love it.

Upvote 0

gardenfairy

Jesus Loves Me This I Know :)
Apr 12, 2008
✟560.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I consider myself to be "just a Christian" and I guess that makes me non-denominational. I'm not a member of any specific church, I can go wherever there is prayer and worship, but I don't want anything added to my belief that is not part of what the bible tells us.

That's exactly what I would've said, so...., Ditto :satisfied:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.