Why are people still looking for the Garden of Eden?

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is, why are people looking for it in the current landscape?

If the Bible is true, and it is, the Garden located in Eden was an antediluvian region that no longer exists on the current landscape. It would have been completely destroyed by the flood.

If the Bible is not true, well, it never existed in the first place.

People seem to think that because there is a Tigris and Euphrates river today, Eden must have been there. But they don't stop to realize it is a timeless human tradition to recycle names. Nor do they realize that the geographical description in the Bible doesn't even closely resemble the details of those rivers today. In the Bible, a single river, let's call it the Eden river, splits into 4 rivers in the midst of the Garden somewhere. Thus it enters the garden as one river, and exits as four and waters for specific lands adjacent or close to Eden.

The fact that postdiluvians used antediluvian names, shouldn't be a stumbling block for anyone. The Tigris supplied water for the land of Ashur. Shem, after the flood, actually named one of his sons Ashur. The Tigris and Euphrates names were recycled and used for names of two large postdiluvian rivers.

I suppose if people were looking for it in the ocean, that would make a little more sense. Bermuda Triangle would be as good a theory as any I suppose. But too look for it near modern rivers with the same names, to me is akin to searching for Ireland starting in New England.

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

If the Bible is true, and it is, the Garden located in Eden was an antediluvian region that no longer exists on the current landscape. It would have been completely destroyed by the flood.

If the Bible is not true, well, it never existed in the first place.

People seem to think that because there is a Tigris and Euphrates river today, Eden must have been there. But they don't stop to realize it is a timeless human tradition to recycle names. Nor do they realize that the geographical description in the Bible doesn't even closely resemble the details of those rivers today. In the Bible, a single river, let's call it the Eden river, splits into 4 rivers in the midst of the Garden somewhere. Thus it enters the garden as one river, and exits as four and waters for specific lands adjacent or close to Eden.

The fact that postdiluvians used antediluvian names, shouldn't be a stumbling block for anyone. The Tigris supplied water for the land of Ashur. Shem, after the flood, actually named one of his sons Ashur. The Tigris and Euphrates names were recycled and used for names of two large postdiluvian rivers.

I suppose if people were looking for it in the ocean, that would make a little more sense. Bermuda Triangle would be as good a theory as any I suppose. But too look for it near modern rivers with the same names, to me is akin to searching for Ireland starting in New England.

Because people, like me, believe that it still exists.

God sets it up for human. God closes its door when human is kicked out, but does not destroy it. Then it is possible that God will use it again for human at sometime later.

Some Christians link it to the "paradise". I am not sure where is the link implied in the Scripture. But it makes sense.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It should be easy to find. Genesis 3:24 says that the east entrance is guarded by at least two cherubim, and that there is a flaming sword flashing back and forth.

That should be easy to find by looking at night, when a flaming, flying sword would be visible for miles. Or save time by using satellite photos taken at night- the entire surface of the earth has been photographed many times at a high resolution.

Papias

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It should be easy to find. Genesis 3:24 says that the east entrance is guarded by at least two cherubim, and that there is a flaming sword flashing back and forth.

That should be easy to find by looking at night, when a flaming, flying sword would be visible for miles. Or save time by using satellite photos taken at night- the entire surface of the earth has been photographed many times at a high resolution.

Papias

At least, we need to be able to see angels (ghosts) by some detectors.
And there might be other problems.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Juvi wrote:
At least, we need to be able to see angels (ghosts) by some detectors.

Are you saying that angels are the same as ghosts?

Did Abraham need a detector?

Or is it like a Romulan cloaking device?

and why would we need a detector for a flaming sword?

Papias

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Juvi wrote:

and why would we need a detector for a flaming sword?

Papias

I thought about it, but did not have a good answer.

Here is the brain storm: May be the flame is in a form of radio wave, or gamma ray?

Upvote 0

inthec

Oct 11, 2012
✟7,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You find Eden by first asking yourself if the Tree of Knowledge and Tree of Life are really "trees". Are there any of us here that really believe that?

If you dig a little in the bible you see that the "Tree of Life" is also referenced as "the water of life"

John 4:14
But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Revelation 21:6
And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Revelation 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

Revelation 22:17
And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You find Eden by first asking yourself if the Tree of Knowledge and Tree of Life are really "trees". Are there any of us here that really believe that?

If you dig a little in the bible you see that the "Tree of Life" is also referenced as "the water of life"

They are two things. Aren't they? Where is the equal sign? Rev.22 describes exactly that picture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

God sets it up for human. God closes its door when human is kicked out, but does not destroy it. Then it is possible that God will use it again for human at sometime later.

Some Christians link it to the "paradise". I am not sure where is the link implied in the Scripture. But it makes sense.

Okay, but if God took it away, and hid it, who could be possibly find it? I mean, it's God who took it away (assuming He actually did).

Now, if He didn't take it away, but let the flood hit it, then the land on which it rested has been completely reshaped. Portions of it could be all over the globe. Thus it would make no sense to try to find it.

Now we do have rivers with the same names as those that flowed from the Garden, but that's a very common thing for humans to do. It would make sense for postdiluvians to use antediluvian names in the new world. But that's not going to help anyone find anything.

Now I don't know if Eden was taken away by God and spared. It's possible I suppose that elements were at least taken out of it, like the TOL. But do you really think that some explorer some day is going to discover it?

I mean I can see something like the ark being discovered, potentially at least. But that's a bit of a different situation, don't you think?

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I asked a "why" question recently elsewhere in in this site, and I believe the answer given to me is applicable here as well. See below:

"Its like the reason why a bug will fly into the smallest crack in the window of my car, and yet not fly out when I open all the doors."

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Okay, but if God took it away, and hid it, who could be possibly find it? I mean, it's God who took it away (assuming He actually did).

Now, if He didn't take it away, but let the flood hit it, then the land on which it rested has been completely reshaped. Portions of it could be all over the globe. Thus it would make no sense to try to find it.

Now we do have rivers with the same names as those that flowed from the Garden, but that's a very common thing for humans to do. It would make sense for postdiluvians to use antediluvian names in the new world. But that's not going to help anyone find anything.

Now I don't know if Eden was taken away by God and spared. It's possible I suppose that elements were at least taken out of it, like the TOL. But do you really think that some explorer some day is going to discover it?

I mean I can see something like the ark being discovered, potentially at least. But that's a bit of a different situation, don't you think?

Let's assume that the Garden of Eden IS the Paradise, then it only takes the death on the current earth to get to it. It is not hidden, it was only transformed so that Adam could not go back to it when he was alive. (I think he is there now and is waiting for us.)

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let's assume that the Garden of Eden IS the Paradise, then it only takes the death on the current earth to get to it. It is not hidden, it was only transformed so that Adam could not go back to it when he was alive. (I think he is there now and is waiting for us.)

I don't think anyone would disagree with that. So, then do you agree it's a bit misguided to look for it in this life?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think anyone would disagree with that. So, then do you agree it's a bit misguided to look for it in this life?

I won't "look for it". But the description in the Genesis make us understand better on the God's plan. It is a real plan, not just a theology. So, the names of the four rivers do mean something in the specification of space. You may call it the "coordinates" of space, provided that we do not know all the parameters yet. It might be something like (x, y, z, u, v, ... t ...).

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Eden is in the stretched out heavens which heavens were stretched out from earth on day 2 of creation week.

It is called "the breadth of the earth" which is not perceived by Job. It is the same bredth of the earth which the devil and his hordes ascend up to after the thousand year reign, to try to take over the City of God, there.

When Adam was created from the dust of the earth, he was "raptured/laqach" to Eden, and established in God's rest, there and placed there so as to reign over earth from there and have children and populate the earth. There would have been going up to Zion above and coming down if Adam had not fallen and got cast down to earth with no way back.
He ate of the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil and became defiled and died in spirit as a son of God and was cast down to the earth from which he was made.

Eden was the place the tower of Bab-el =gate of God- was being built to try to ascend to, by another way than the Way God ordained from the beginning.
Since the Tower of Babel rebellion, Eden above is veiled from the eyes of mortal man, who cannot find it for looking; just like the Sodomites looked all night but could not find the door into Lot's house.

Paradise is a name for Garden, and the Garden is Eden is Paradise, in the third heaven. The tree of Life is in the midst of it. Adam was raptured to there and lost his place and it is now veiled to the eyes of mortals.

The river was there and is there still, which became four heads.

Something I read recently is that Rivers "flow" in the atmosphere today -interesting.

2 Cor 12:12 2 I know a person in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up/raptured to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows. 3 And I know that such a person—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows— 4was caught up/raptured into Paradise and heard things that are not to be told, that no mortal is permitted to repeat.

Revelation 2:7
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Gen 2:15
And the LORD God took/laqach/raptured the man/Adam, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress/to rest [in] it and to keep/to work/to serve [in] it.-expanded by me

Genesis 2:9
Out of the ground the LORD God made to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food, the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

2 Esdras 4:7
And he said to me, “If I had asked you, ‘How many dwellings are in the heart of the sea, or how many streams are at the source of the deep, or how many streams are above the firmament, or which are the exits of Hades, or which are the entrances of paradise

2 Esdras 6:2
and before the rumblings of thunder sounded, and before the flashes of lightning shone, and before the foundations of paradise were laid,

2 Esdras 8:52
because it is for you that paradise is opened, the tree of life is planted, the age to come is prepared, plenty is provided, a city is built, rest is appointed, goodness is established and wisdom perfected beforehand.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe its still there, but it remains hidden supernaturally
You got it.
Read my post, above.

Isaiah 25:7
And he will destroy in this mountain the face of the covering cast over all people, and the vail that is spread over all nations.

Jerusalem is the navel of the earth, in God's Word, and the entrance to Eden above is ascended to from the Holy Land.

When the angels descended from that City of God above to remain in their flesh bodies (used for ministry as Watcher angels; Genesis 18, and so on, shows angels can appear in mortal flesh bodies: Enoch said they can appear as men when they want, and Jude says they did not keep their first estate/habitation =their spirit body/form used in heaven), they descended at Mount Hermon which is in Israel. It is also called Mount Zion of the north border, and is called Hermon because of the oath (in Hebrew the word is oath) the angels swore to not go back to their heavenly form but to sin and marry daughters of Adam.
That mount Hermon is the highest point in Israel, and is the Mount of Transfiguration.
There seems to be a "gate" at that point, then, to Eden above.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Enoch went there, described it, and is there, now, in his transformed body of glory, serving with the Watcher angels there.
The Book of Enoch, Translated by Robert H. Charles, 1912
See my post, two back.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is, why are people looking for it in the current landscape? If the Bible is true, and it is, the Garden located in Eden was an antediluvian region that no longer exists on the current landscape. It would have been completely destroyed by the flood.

You failed to cite the passage where the land "was completely destroyed
by the flood". So we can't confirm the premise for your question.

Upvote 0