Why are american politicians so hostile towards germany?

PatrickT

Jun 7, 2015
Rostock
✟2,413.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't know if that is a general thing or oversensitivity in our media here in germany but it appears that american politicians react pretty aggressive towards us. Be it the crisis in greece, our role in europe and the world, our economic politics or the NSA scandal.

We hear nonstop that we are fruel, coldhearted with greece. That we became the hegemon of europe. We get critisized that we kicked out the CIA leader from germany and that we release material from the NSA that proved spying activity.

Worst of all was McCain who insulted our chancellor, because chancellor Merkel made an agreement with president Putin to solve the ukraine crisis.

I would like zo hear from americans, whats your opinion about all of that? Is it a general thing, that americans dislike us or the usual power struggles between two powers overblown by local media?

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I'm a greatly admire Germany in the present day. From what I understand a university education is almost free and foreign students are even subsidized to a great degree. I'd love to talk my grand daughter into studying there in a few years. What I have a problem with are the policies of the banks, and it's not just German banks, with regards to Greece.

I was in Germany in the 70's, both east and west, loved the people, culture and history. It's on my bucket list to return some day.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatrickT
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would like zo hear from americans, whats your opinion about all of that? Is it a general thing, that americans dislike us or the usual power struggles between two powers overblown by local media?
I don't dislike Germans and don't hear anyone I know talking about disliking Germans either. Personally, I tend to have a positive view of Germany. I always blame the media because overblowing things is what the media does.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I don't know if that is a general thing or oversensitivity in our media here in germany but it appears that american politicians react pretty aggressive towards us. Be it the crisis in greece, our role in europe and the world, our economic politics or the NSA scandal.

We hear nonstop that we are fruel, coldhearted with greece. That we became the hegemon of europe. We get critisized that we kicked out the CIA leader from germany and that we release material from the NSA that proved spying activity.

Worst of all was McCain who insulted our chancellor, because chancellor Merkel made an agreement with president Putin to solve the ukraine crisis.

I'm British, and while I like Germany in general, I do think Germany is being harsh and unfair towards Greece. Also, I think austerity policies are breaking Europe and holding back growth.

Considering that Germany didn't have to pay back it's World War debts, I don't think it can take the moral high ground.

But again, I don't want to dislike Germany, it seems like a great country. But as Jürgen Habermas has said, Germany is making itself look bad by being so harsh on Greece.

:)

Reactions: abdAlSalam
Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Most of the people I know have a good view of present day Germany and the German people.

I don't know anyone personally who dislikes Germans in general.

I'm 70 now and I don't believe I've heard a bad comment about Germany since my youth - with the exception of comments about Hitler and the Kaiser and the destruction and pain they caused. etc. German arrogance has been mentioned at times. But not too much.

I think that any current negativity in the media or among politicians is because there seems to be a lack of gratitude shown toward us by many Europeans sometimes including Germany.

The U.S. paid dearly during the world wars because of German aggression. After the defeat of Germany, America protected and nurtured Germany like a mother for her child until she became the great economic power she now is. I don't think it too much to say that we bankrupted our nation fighting communism while protecting others so they could grow and flourish for half a century after the war.

It is a bit exasperating to have Germany not back our play in every way possible against Russia and the radical Muslims now at this time because it is financially profitable for Germany to not do so because of oil and natural gas supply etc.

Love you though. I hope to visit again soon.

P.S.
I don't have much trouble with the treatment of Greece. Greece is like a greedy selfish little child. Sometimes a trip to the wood shed is all such a child understands.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I'm honestly not aware of any tension between the two countries, partly because so many of us in the United States identify with our German ancestry. German Americans are still the #1 ethnic group on the US Census.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I'm not sure which media you're referring to. I don't think the euro was a great idea, but it's Greece that's really being unreasonable. An excellent example of why it wasn't a good idea really.

McCain is a pathological Russophobe. Nothing more to be said about that.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
My family was assigned to Grafenwoehr during the early 80s and I have nothing but fond memories of (West) Germany and the (West) German people. While I know the country has changed since 1989, I know it hasn't changed to the point where 1983 me wouldn't recognize it.

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
✟1,657.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status

Well, if the primary source is John McCain, then you have nothing to be concerned about; he's an idiot.

Our politicians are probably feeling uneasy because you have a national leader and we don't. They're jealous.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
If I want a chainsaw that runs in all weather and conditions, it’s German.

If I want kitchen knives that will last a lifetime, they are German.

If I want a car built like a tank and will run forever, it’s German.

I guess American politicians don’t use this stuff. Germany is one of the strongest economies in the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: stamperben
Upvote 0

JasonClark

May 24, 2015
✟840.00
Faith
Atheist
The US could learn a great deal from Germany, but she won't.

Pick any area of life be it work, play or health care and I will wager the Germans have it better than the Americans.

They work less and get paid more, they have more vacation time and they travel more and further, they are better educated and they live longer and pay half what Americans do for their health care, they drive better cars and wear better clothes and make wonderful beer, on top of all that they can drive to the UK, the south of France or Spain any time they want, tell me what could be better than that?

Upvote 0

PatrickT

Jun 7, 2015
Rostock
✟2,413.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
You all make valid points and i would like to show our / my side of that.

First regarding greece, austerity worked in all countries we pushed it on. The baltics, ireland, spain, portugal. All those made hatsh cuts and are on the road of recovery. The only country that is unable to reform is greece. Greece has a middleeasteen mentality. The country is corrupted to the core. You can only spend the amount of money that you own, yet greeks voted a communist government into power that promised them a luxury life paid from european, mostly german tax money.

Of course thats impossible and would break the union. Most germans want that our governments treats greece even harder than it does now. Merkel has no other option.

Telling us about 1953 debt cuts for germany doesn't pull for many reasons.

1. it was not done for gratitude but out of fear that our people would start a rebellion.

2. I'm young and most germans have nothing to do with those times. Why should we throw our money away? Greece has always the option to leave the EU. They dont like austerity? fine. We can show them the door.

Now for american - german relations. I'm born in Rostock, thats in eastern Germany. I was born after the reunion but reality is, that most people from eastern germany see america critical, not the people but the nation and government. Anti americanism has rised in entire germany. The NSA scandal, iraq war and so on didn't help either.

I think germany as a whole nation simply is not shy anymore and stands for its own interests in the world. We have developed into the 4th worldpower and we stand for our own positions and interests. My guess is that the world must get used to this. That should not mean hostility at all.

I think our nations can be partners but must not stand on one side in 100% of the issues.

One member here said we should support USA and be against russia. That would be absolutely against german interests. There can't be a european security policy against russia and i think the wellbeing of our people is the most important task for our government.

That said we support certain sanctions against russia but will never allow import of heavy arms into ukraine. McCain was pretty upset about that but it is not in our interest to put even more fuel into that conflict.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just what exactly would Germany import from us? Cheaply made Chinese goods?

The point is that their 'robust' economy, as compared to ours, is owed largely to their protective trade barriers.

Upvote 0

OhioJB

Jul 19, 2015
✟15,151.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Patrick, I served three of my years in the U.S. military stationed in southern Germany about halfway between Munich and the Austrian border, at a little base named Bad Aibling Station. The German and Austrian people that I came into contact with were absolutely amazing, and I believe probably have a different point of view than someone who was born in eastern Germany, even if it was after the fall of the Berlin Wall. So your slant to being a more pro-Russia than pro-USA shouldn't come as a shock, I guess. You were raised by a generation that had lived as part of the eastern block of communist countries.

After the disintegration of the Soviet Union I thought the U.S. should push for an end to NATO. Too much of our money is going to countries in the name of supporting NATO, not to mention the U.S. is required to defend any of those nations if they are attacked. Some of those same countries did very little to next to nothing to help the U.S. in Afghanistan after 9/11. Iraq I can understand as I don't believe we should have invaded that country, but Afghanistan was an entirely different matter. So it's a one sided partnership, and many NATO countries are becoming more and more only concerned with their interests, not the interest of the alliance in general. Considering anti-American sentiment in Europe after the beginning of the Iraq war, and to some extent even Afghanistan, I believe I was proven correct that NATO should have been dissolved, not expanded. We know which countries will be by our side, and which wont, so why continue in the alliance? Especially after the European Union came into being to compete with larger countries like the United States, China, and India. Europe is proving more and more as the years go by that their interests are not in line with ours. I say end NATO and let European countries deal with Russia, it's in their neighborhood.

As far as spying goes, the German government not only spies on the U.S., but also spied for the U.S. against it's EU partners.

I wouldn't worry about what Senator John McCain said, he's a hothead that is often wrong anyway.

To be honest, my impression of Angela Merkel is that she's got a little anti-Americanism in her blood. I do try to give her the benefit of the doubt though as I don't know enough about her, at least half of my ancestors came from Germany, and I loved my time in southern Germany. If I had met a girl there, who knows, I may still be living there speaking Deutsch!

One last thing, if you think the U.S. and other countries they pressed to forgive and/or restructure German debt wasn't charitable and only to prevent some sort of rebellion, I believe you are wrong. No one would have wanted to see an uprising, but they could have been just as hardline as Germany has been with Greece. Greece has serious problems with corruption and the rich not paying their taxes, but now there has been some violence after the recent agreement. I'm not going to say Germany doesn't care about that, but if fear of a rebellion scared the U.S. in '53 as you say, it would have done the same to Germany now, and it hasn't. It was charitable and that should be acknowledged.

Hopefully, the EU never dissolves with countries having bitter feuds that lead to war(s). That was my fear when the EU was created. Hard to take so many countries that are so different and have EU officials making rulings that some countries don't like. It's going to lead to some nasty bitterness. Unfortunately, the U.S. is doing a little of that with the Trans-Pacific Partnership with other nations. That could be a disaster as well, although in a different way.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
The point is that their 'robust' economy, as compared to ours, is owed largely to their protective trade barriers.

All they had to do was look at us with our “free trade for everyone” policy to see that it is economic suicide.

Reactions: stamperben
Upvote 0