Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
and our leadership in the world and a return to loving our nation.

Three of the things Trump talked about. There are these perennial problems that have been around for decades now. Three of them were the US trade deficit with China, the general unfairness of NATO, and out of control Federal spending. People have for years looked at them and sort of said, "yeah but what are you gonna do?" and left them to linger and get worse. Then when Trump went about at least trying to fix them a whole world of hate was unleashed on him. And I still don't know why.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
and our leadership in the world and a return to loving our nation.

Given Trump's isolationist policies 'leadership in the world' makes no sense. If it did what does 'leadership' mean?

What does 'loving our nation' mean? (what would cause you to 'love' your nation?)

OB

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What does "the reality of our own time" look like?

For me, we're at the end of Pax Americana. We're not the only world's major power anymore. Yes we still dominate to a large extent, but like Pax Romana facing Germanic tribes and the Persian Empire, we're facing rising powers of China and India. We're facing a plague like the Antonine Plague, which decimated populations. We now see the first major European land war since WW2. Much like Rome in the latter days of the Empire, America is stretched thinly economically and militarily. We traded away our stable blue collar jobs in the 80s and 90s while company executives took their stock options.

I might add that the income disparity and economic mobility is reflected in what was happening in the latter days of the Roman Empire as well. While wealth and power are always going to accumulate, it is far worse today than in the 1950s. Economic mobility is stagnate or declining. Personally, one of my grandfathers was quite wealthy in the 1960s and the other had a union job at the local power company. So white and blue collar, but both had stable incomes. Despite a first rate education, I've struggled most of my career and got hit hard in economic downturns. My children are certainly going to have it worse.

When I've spoken to my father in law, he had a stable career with a chemical company and was able to re-engineer a new career in his mid-50s. He continues to live on a nice pension. Most likely, I will never see retirement and I fear for my wife as her family tends to live into their 90s. Even he has said that he cannot give me advice because the circumstances are so different.

The Crisis of the Middle Class and American Power

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In other words, a rewind back to the 1950's. Those were good days!

Not in all ways. And not for all Americans. But in several ways, it was a golden age for America in general.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
As a one time suit and tie wearer, I have always been fascinated with Trump's tie length. I reached the conclusion that it's a deliberate attempt to create the illusion of height and minimise the obvious pot belly.

OB
I think it's a phallic symbol :sorry:

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Back in the early 70s MAGA was summed up in this song:

And shattered by this kiss :)
maxresdefault.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Still kinda vague but, ok.

And how did the “MAGA” movement intend to return the country to this tradition?
One way was Trump made it easier to not feel guilt for holding to Christian beliefs.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Is playing with his Tonka truck.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟708,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think the best explanation is the one @GreekOrthodox offered. It is a longing for a return to a time when we had more social, economic, and diplomatic stability than we do now. It's a longing for leaders who while not Christian at least cared more for their country and their constituents than what we have now.

To be clear, there was never a good 'ole days. They never existed. The 1950s were not paradise any more than any other decade in the US. Recall we started the decade with the police action in Korea, stagflation, suburban flight, McCarthyism, Red Scare, the intellectual phonies and perverts of the Beatniks and the list goes on.

What are in fact seeing is the collapse of the Pax Americana and the pruning and extinction of cultural Christianity. Add to that the fact that our leaders regardless of party affiliation no longer respect our traditions or the people Lord over. MAGA is reaction rejecting the above.

• Agree
Reactions: GreekOrthodox
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
When they talk about those old days I feel like they are saying they are opining for segregation. You know back when people knew how to stay in their place, gays were in the closet, no race mixing, women stayed at home and dad would give you a wallop if you got out of line. WHen women were women and men wore hats.

One thing that would MAGA is if people got married and stayed married like they used to. I think single parenthood has hurt America. There is a reason why the word bastard became a derogatory term. I am one myself and it's tough to grow up without a dad. You make it through but with one parent, you can figure out what you can get away with. With two parents, one catches what the other one misses so you can't get away with much. Some still can but it's harder to get one over on two parents.

Upvote 0