Why Adventists are attacked so bitterly...

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟428,007.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...especially when it comes to Prophecy. It seems Adventists are attacked so bitterly to shake them from the truth, and the testimony of Jesus given to us. The testimony has always been given by Gods Prophets, and Prophets, chosen by God, have been used by God since the fall.

...God hath spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began. Acts 3:21

Satan knows what is being given, and uses his minions to try to wipe it out and deflect the prophecies that God has unveiled to Adventism, especially the 3 Angels message

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
...especially when it comes to Prophecy. It seems Adventists are attacked so bitterly to shake them from the truth, and the testimony of Jesus given to us. The testimony has always been given by Gods Prophets, and Prophets, chosen by God, have been used by God since the fall.

...God hath spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began. Acts 3:21

Satan knows what is being given, and uses his minions to try to wipe it out and deflect the prophecies that God has unveiled to Adventism, especially the 3 Angels message
Why do you give satan so much credit here? He is nothing compared to Jesus; and His care for the Church. And I might add that it wouldnt be hard to dig up current examples of where Catholics are being attacked and killed for their faith; and most Adventists do not really have to worry about that right now. So to make it look like we are "attacked so bitterly" is perhaps not the best way to look at it.

Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, EPH 3:21

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I once had a devout Christian, who was not necessarily very familiar with Adventists, say he was wary of any denomination who had or needed someone to interpret the Bible for them. This may be the prevailing attitude of others towards the Prophetess.

Upvote 0

Leuko Petra

Following The Lamb
Apr 8, 2013
Almost Home
✟831.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
I once had a devout Christian, who was not necessarily very familiar with Adventists, say he was wary of any denomination who had or needed someone to interpret the Bible for them. This may be the prevailing attitude of others towards the Prophetess.
Yet, that is a misunderstanding upon their part about what a messenger of the Lord or Prophet's function is.

They are the lesser light to point unto Christ Jesus, even as the Bible is also the lesser light to point unto Christ Jesus, and the Word is the final authority and bottom line, the foundation [even for the Holy Spirit, for He speaketh what he hears and not of himself].

Cases in point:

Jesus is the True Light, which lighteth every candle:

[That] was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. John 1:9

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. John 8:12

etc...

The Messenger/Prophet of the Lord [like John the Baptist, or us] is always the lesser light, testifying to the Greater [Jesus]:

There was a man sent from God, whose name [was] John. John 1:6

The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all [men] through him might believe. John 1:7

He was not that Light, but [was sent] to bear witness of that Light. JOhn 1:8

John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me. John 1:15

He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light. John 5:35

Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Mathew 5:14

etc...

The Bible itself [OT and NT, the Law and the Prophets] is also the lesser light to point unto Jesus:

NUN. Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. John 5:39

And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. Luke 24:27

All prophets/messengers must be tested by what is written in Scripture:

And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 1 Corinthians 14:32

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. John 16:13

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, [it is] because [there is] no light in them. Isaiah 8:20

Upvote 0

Leuko Petra

Following The Lamb
Apr 8, 2013
Almost Home
✟831.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
Adventists are attacked because they are heretics.
Hello brother,

That is an interesting statement to make, and I wonder if experiencially, personally and intelligbly made, though it it still readily expected even if not so, though unfortunately unwarranted. Paul was also called a ring-leader of the 'sect' [Acts 28:32]

But we desire to hear of thee what thou thinkest: for as concerning this sect, we know that every where it is spoken against. Acts 28:32

But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets: Acts 24:14

...and therefore I personally take no real offense, but rather find the term endearing, as it was done unto Christ and them which followed him, so therefore unto us which teach and proclaim His way, and so the more I love Him, because He told us it would be thus:

Blessed are ye, when [men] shall revile you, and persecute [you], and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Matthew 5:11

...and it will grow even more intense, in both Love towards those outward, but more intense hatred from those outward to us inward... until death [Revelation 20:4, conjunction with Daniel 11:44; Revelation 13:15, and also Revelation 6:11; Matthew 24:10, etc.]...

...I see you are Lutheran...did you know Luther taught 'soul sleep', as did Wycliffe?

I love Luther, a man powerfully used of God, raised up even... but he carried not all of the light that was to be be made known, as it was foretold...

Perhaps you may ask questions, feel free to do so in this thread, but ask honestly seeking to see why we believe as we do, and we will show it "sola scriptura".

Brother, now is your opportunity to see for yourself, and search the scriptures with us, whether these things be so, even as the more noble Bereans...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leuko Petra

Following The Lamb
Apr 8, 2013
Almost Home
✟831.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
We aren't required to keep the Sabbath. The New Testament clearly spells this out.

Romans 14:5
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Colossians 2:16-17
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Also, Ellen G. White was a false prophetess. God does not call women to preach to men.
Have you read Peter about Paul?

As also in all [his] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 2 Peter 3:16

Is it then important to look more carefully at what Paul wrote?

God has called many women to be messengers and prophetesses.

Miriam, Aaron and Moses' sister [Exodus 15:20].
Huldah [2 Chronicles 34:22]
Deborah [Judges 4:4]
Isaiah's wife [Isaiah 8:3]
Anna [Luke 2:36] [she was even "in the temple"]
Phillips 4 daughters [Acts 21:9]

...etc.

There is a difference, however between that function and "ordained pastorship", the office.

A woman may indeed preach and teach [see Aquila and his wife, Priscilla, which it is written, "...Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto [them], and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly." [Acts 18:26]] the word of God, but again notice the distinction already made, between this and sacred office of Apostle, or "Pastor".

Many simply do not understand what Paul was saying in his epistles about "I do not suffer a woman to usurp authority... teach...etc." as He was dealing with an "authority" issue and paganism, even of the language of shorn heads [which pagan priestesses would do, like the priestesses of cybelle, etc].

As for the 2 "commonly" cited passages [Colossians 2:16-17; Romans 14:5], have you considered the context of those verses, and what is said in them, as well as looking at the language itself? if you have not, I would like to invite you to do so with me, and also consider what Paul wrote elsewhere, for the scripture cannot be broken, and Paul does not argue with himself about these things. Do you know what Paul is dealing with in Romans 14? in order to fully understand it, we must begin at Romans 1. What of Colossians 2, have you considered the previous verses and that the language in Colossians 2 speaks of multiple sabbaths, listed after the meat and drink offerings [daily], the new moons [monthly], feasts [seasonal] and sabbaths [yearly, and 7th year and 50th years]. Paul knows the difference between the eternal Holy, Just and Good and even Spiritual Law of the Ten Commandments, which includes the 4th [the 7th Day Sabbath of the Lord, singular, even called "my Holy Day" in Isaiah], from the very shadows and types given after it...

I offer you the chance to actually read the texts with me and study. Let us see if those two texts reveal an abolition of one of the Ten Commandments [4th].

The 7th Day Adventist movement is identified in Prophecy by specific markers.

As for Ellen G. White, I will ask plainly have you fully read the Great Controversy, or Desire of Ages? Have you fully read any of the material put forth, and if not why not? Thank you.

Luther also clearly wrote that the Roman Catholic Papacy was the AntiChrist... do you agree with that, or his stance upon the state of the dead and soul sleep? Did you know that Luther did not reject the Ten Commandments either?

Upvote 0

David Conklin

Aug 6, 2009
✟8,098.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
EGW does NOT interpret Scripture for us. This is a misnomer.

Upvote 0

Gibs

Aug 12, 2013
✟8,846.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am almost now an 82 yr. old man and my grandfather was with the Millerite movement. That destroyed the many around him that had come to believe.

He headed up a small Sabbath keeping little church but finally dwindles out as the people passed away and young folks were turned against it.

Then came EGW and yes any could see if they read the early works that for a 3'rd grade education here was one who was either of God or Satan. That is a decision that must not be pushed on any. That is the office of the Holy Spirit.

No one pushed her on me, an Adventist lady was talking about a book she had just read and I asked if I could see it. She handed it to me and I scanned a bit and then asked if she'd let me have it a few days.

She laughed and said, that is too strong for you to start with. I told her to let me be the judge of that and so she reluctantly allowed me the book. It was Early Writings.

I saw very soon to my satisfaction that here was one sent of God and as I learned latter, one of a lesser light to lead to the greater light. Jesus Christ and His Word.

Too many SDA's push and give the impression they know more and are superior to other Christians. God is not a respecter of persons!

Ac 10:34 ¶ Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

"Peter related the plain interpretation of these words, which was given him almost immediately in his summons to go to the centurion and instruct him in the faith of Christ. This message showed that God was no respecter of persons, but accepted and acknowledged all who feared Him. Peter told of his astonishment when, in speaking the words of truth to those assembled at the home of Cornelius, he witnessed the Holy Spirit taking possession of his hearers, Gentiles as well as Jews. The same light and glory that was reflected upon the circumcised Jews shone also upon the faces of the uncircumcised Gentiles. This was God's warning that Peter was not to regard one as inferior to the other, for the blood of Christ could cleanse from all uncleanness." {AA 193.1}

Part of this is of our own fault. We must always be very meek and humble to unbelievers. Never give the impression that we are superior in any way but fellow learners at Jesus's feet.

We must learn the lesson too of condescending as Jesus Christ our example did.

He came and was meek and lowly, He is our example!

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gibs

Aug 12, 2013
✟8,846.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We must always be to outsiders meek and lowly and careful not to hurt as was Jesus. We must remember, that he who has greater light will be held responsible for more.

Jesus was to ALL the epitome of love to ALL and we want to be as He.

Not like one who struts but tactful meek, gentle loving teachers.

To show love will beget love..

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Upvote 0

JohnMarsten

Jul 18, 2011
✟9,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
>Too many SDA's push and give the impression they know more and are superior to other Christians.

I've only met one guy who gave the impression that he thought that he was better than everyone else. The critics of the church on the other hand ...

I guess you havent seen too much in your life. so far... you are probably adventist by birth, right?

Upvote 0

Gibs

Aug 12, 2013
✟8,846.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope, wasn't an Adventist at birth, became one because it was instilled in me by my Pappy that I must have the truth, that the world was full of lies and get to the bottom of things. My grandfather was in the Millerite movement and had a little Sabbath keeping Church. My Pappy and one daughter of his became Adventist later but I didn't know this until I came home from being farmed out to a sisters house of my Pappy that I came home and told him they got mad at me for questioning Sunday.

Then He told me He had been an Adventist until he gave up on God and that I had one Aunt that was, and I went and visited her and she was the kind of Adventist I wish all were.

I am now a critic of the church because of the apostasy that has come in. And most of the proud Adventists will defend it angrily. I find most around here are proud and haughty people. Now the church is a corporation of the world, I don't like that.

So now there is several around me here we are home church SDA's. NLP, Lab 1,2, and 3 came in, Trinity came in, Theology that we can be saved in sin as no one can overcome, then came in Emerging Church and all that has come in with that.

We don't hold to any of that.

Haven't seen much in my life you say, well my Bro. I'm right at 82 and I've seen way too much of this world and am ready for one that my LORD will be the King of. There is not many with a broad of life experiences I've had and I've stayed a learner, we are always learners!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
I am now a critic of the church because of the apostasy that has come in. And most of the proud Adventists will defend it angrily.

I'm right at 82 and I've seen way too much of this world and am ready for one that my LORD will be the King of. There is not many with a broad of life experiences I've had and I've stayed a learner, we are always learners!

There is nothing wrong, with "defending the church", in and of itself, just as there is nothing wrong with someone such as you being "a critic of the church," in and of itself. It depends on how you do it.

I do agree with you...nothing wrong with wanting a world that OUR Lord will be King of, but conversely, I always think of Him as my King even now. :)

So you are 82 years young, eh? Well, don't let that slow you down brother. My Granny took the bus and planes all over the place all by herself till she was 95. You still got a few miles to go bro!

Upvote 0

Gibs

Aug 12, 2013
✟8,846.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Castaway57 Jesus Christ is my King now also and He is ruling supremely now until He has ALL things under His feet. His Father being the Head King of course.

Here are some verses of profound meaning and understanding. They really need no interpretation but if you or any have questions I would offer my see.

1Co 15:24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
1Co 15:25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
1Co 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
1Co 15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith, all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
1Co 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Upvote 0

JohnMarsten

Jul 18, 2011
✟9,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nope, wasn't an Adventist at birth, became one because it was instilled in me by my Pappy that I must have the truth, that the world was full of lies and get to the bottom of things. My grandfather was in the Millerite movement and had a little Sabbath keeping Church. My Pappy and one daughter of his became Adventist later but I didn't know this until I came home from being farmed out to a sisters house of my Pappy that I came home and told him they got mad at me for questioning Sunday.

Then He told me He had been an Adventist until he gave up on God and that I had one Aunt that was, and I went and visited her and she was the kind of Adventist I wish all were.

I am now a critic of the church because of the apostasy that has come in. And most of the proud Adventists will defend it angrily. I find most around here are proud and haughty people. Now the church is a corporation of the world, I don't like that.

So now there is several around me here we are home church SDA's. NLP, Lab 1,2, and 3 came in, Trinity came in, Theology that we can be saved in sin as no one can overcome, then came in Emerging Church and all that has come in with that.

We don't hold to any of that.

Haven't seen much in my life you say, well my Bro. I'm right at 82 and I've seen way too much of this world and am ready for one that my LORD will be the King of. There is not many with a broad of life experiences I've had and I've stayed a learner, we are always learners!

Just in case you were referring to my post above (adventist by birth, havent seen much in life), it wasnt actually adressed to you... how come you felt as if it was?

Upvote 0

Gibs

Aug 12, 2013
✟8,846.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John, hadn't looked close enough, I see your comment was to,

Originally Posted by David Conklin
>Too many SDA's push and give the impression they know more and are superior to other Christians.

I've only met one guy who gave the impression that he thought that he was better than everyone else. The critics of the church on the other hand ...

Then you told him,
I guess you havent seen too much in your life. so far... you are probably adventist by birth, right?

So John, looks as though he has different people surrounding him. Which I wish was true every where.

However the young SDA's here don't witness or try to, more like all the other denominations,

More interest in the cyber world and can't carry a conversation even with out playing with the thing in their hands. You name the things.

Plus the radiation from them is not good either.

Upvote 0

Kira Light

Shinigami love apples
Oct 16, 2009
✟15,777.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've never met anyone who thought like that.

That surprises me. I was one of them. So was everyone I knew... The Sabbath to me either mattered, or it didn't. At least for a long time.

On another note, imagine you are one of the billion or so Catholics out there. A little tiny church has been calling your leader, the pope, the anti-christ for some 160 years and counting. How might you imagine you would feel towards them? Or do you not know any Adventists that believe that, either?

Upvote 0