Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have prepared a little folder of Lenten menus.
I have found my book on Lenten meditations.
I have committed to attend every Lenten service.
I've said a temporary farewell to a blog of people I enjoy arguing with.

But where it counts, I am not ready at all.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm about where Anhelyna is. I had A TON of trouble fasting during the Nativity Fast. A few moments of greatness dwarfed by MANY moments of complete weakness and failure wrapped up in spiritual mediocrity on steroids! :p

I must confess that I'm not really ready. But seeing as how that is many weeks away, I'm not even going to THINK about it!!! :sorry::sorry::sorry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you going to ride me, too! LOL I've been picked on like a sunuvagun last couple days in TAW. I keep asking why on Earth do I keep coming back? Masochistic?

According to our calendar on the parish bulletin Cheesefare/Forgiveness Sunday is on the 22nd of February. It's the 4th today. Ok, instead of many, I'll re-phrase: "It is more than two weeks away."

MANY WEEKS ??

in 18 days for us folk on the True Calendar it's Cheesefare !!!!!!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Your post gives me some idea of the answer to my question, Xenia, but I am wondering what all one does in order to prepare?

Last year I was thinking of asking Father if I should still refrain from reading The Ladder, but honestly, I don't know that I'm "ready" now if I wasn't then. I don't even feel inclined to ask.

Spiritually I'm trying to do better. I was slipping, but even worse, I wasn't especially bothered by it. At least I'm bothered now.

Otherwise ... I don't quite know how to "prepare" ... Especially since I can't keep the fast strictly (though I'm working on getting closer, and making progress). So the food part is less a new focus and more just something I'm continuing to work on.

I'm wondering how I can really set Great Lent apart from my normal routine ...

I have prepared a little folder of Lenten menus.
I have found my book on Lenten meditations.
I have committed to attend every Lenten service.
I've said a temporary farewell to a blog of people I enjoy arguing with.

But where it counts, I am not ready at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Don't read The Ladder unless instructed to.

Thanks. Not planning to though. :)

I had just started it last year because I ran across it, and the next day we had a class, and Father said not to read it. So ... I was only a few pages in, and I stopped.

I know a lot of people seemed to mention reading it during Great Lent. That's the reason I mentioned it. But like I said, I don't even feel inclined to even ask right now.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Coming from the Catholic tradition, we were given the minimum to strive for. In Orthodoxy, THE MAXIMUM is strived for! Your chances of failure and mushroom cloud-level screw ups abound. It's not easy because it's such a sweet, candy, dessertish time of year with coming off of Valentine's Day into St. Patrick's Day and the Easter basket candy season. So many goodies at work, and I find Orthodox fasting hard enough without all that!

I hate our fasting. I truly do. I hope I get to a point where I see the opportunity for growth in it rather than the chance to whine, which I always do! :sorry:

Upvote 0