Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"The angel answered and said to her, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.'" -- (Luke 1:35).

"Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit." -- (Matthew 1:20)

If Jesus was conceived by the person called the Holy Spirit, then why is the Holy Spirit not His Father?

Last edited:
Reactions: BeStill&Know

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit." -- (Matthew 1:20)

If Jesus was conceived by the person called the Holy Spirit, then why is the Holy Spirit not his Father?

A person has been born, then must be born again with a spiritual father.
The Holy Spirit is part of God. I could illustrate with Snap, Crackle, and Pop
but it's not like that either. There is no suitable illustration.

Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If Jesus was conceived by the person called the Holy Spirit, then why is the Holy Spirit not his Father?

According to the Bible, God is also spirit:

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

And I think He is also Holy. That is why Matthew 1:20 could be about God the Father also.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God is a Spirit, God is holy... so yes. :)

Upvote 0

daleksteve

Jun 6, 2015
✟16,732.00
Faith
Salvation Army

Holy spirit and the father are the same. Bit hard to understand the trinity at times.

How can Jesus be called a son when he and god are one and the same person, never have got my head around that either.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,627.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary
and became truly human.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.​

This is from the text of the English Language Liturgical Consultation, and the notes that accompany the text provide some quite insightful understanding about how they have gone about the work. The PDF with all the text including the notes can be accessed here. http://englishtexts.org/Portals/11/Assets/praying.pdf which I believe will answer this question for you.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,105.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Jesus is the spoken Word made flesh. He is the spoken Word received and conceived in the womb of Mary the virgin.
John 1:
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.
(Gen. 1:3 And God said), Let there be light: and there was light.
He is the let there be light, He is what God spoke. The living word of God which cannot be separate from God.

To Mary the Word was spoken.
Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Once she heard the how it would happen she received it by faith for she replied in agreement with the spoken Word.

Luke 1:38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

At that point, she conceived.

So since God is Spirit.
John 4:
24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

And since We know God is Holy...He is therefore Holy Spirit. Not a separate entity. Lord Jesus calls Him Father.

Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus is the spoken Word made flesh. He is the spoken Word received and conceived in the womb of Mary the virgin.
John 1:
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.
(Gen. 1:3 And God said), Let there be light: and there was light.
He is the let there be light, He is what God spoke. The living word of God which cannot be separate from God.

To Mary the Word was spoken.
Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Once she heard the how it would happen she received it by faith for she replied in agreement with the spoken Word.

Luke 1:38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

At that point, she conceived.

So since God is Spirit.
John 4:
24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

And since We know God is Holy...He is therefore Holy Spirit. Not a separate entity. Lord Jesus calls Him Father.
I can't see the answer among these words can you show me please, was he the son of a carpenter?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Because He is called Son because He is begotten of the Father from before all ages; He is not the Son of God because He became man, He is the Son of God because He is God of God from all eternity.

Because the Holy Spirit did not sire Jesus. Jesus was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit. If the Holy Spirit had sired Jesus then Mary wouldn't be a virgin. So, no, Mary didn't have sex with God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Holy spirit and the father are the same. Bit hard to understand the trinity at times.

And being confused about the Trinity doesn't help either. No, the Holy Spirit and the Father are not the same. They are one in Being, that is, in Deity--what the Father is the Holy Spirit is also--but the Father is not the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father, eternally. The Holy Spirit is distinct from the Father, just as the Son is distinct from both the Father and the Holy Spirit.

How can Jesus be called a son when he and god are one and the same person

They're not. Jesus is not His own Father. Jesus is the Son because He is eternally begotten of the Father, He is not the Father, He is the Son. As the Son He is very God, because His Father is very God. The Son is consubstantial with the Father, of the same Being, the same God. But they are not the same "person".

never have got my head around that either.

If you've been misinformed that Jesus is His own Father (which is the heresy of Sabellianism by the way) then it's completely understandable why you'd be confused.

Unfortunately many Christians have not been properly taught basic Christian doctrine such as the Trinity, and I suspect a large reason for this is because there are a great many who call themselves pastors and teachers who think they are qualified simply because they've read Scripture and feel called by God. They themselves don't know, and so they perpetuate their own ignorance to their flock.

But if you want solid, historical teaching on these things, the best place to begin is the Creeds.

The Nicene Creed
The Quicumque Vult (also known as the Athanasian Creed)
And, for good measure even though it doesn't address the Trinity directly, the Definition of Chalcedon.

The Nicene Creed is the basic summary of orthodox Christian belief. It was quoted already in this thread. Its most important purpose is to expressly teach the relationship of the Son to the Father, though it also touches some on the Holy Spirit.

The Athanasian Creed, though so named, has nothing to do with the real St. Athanasius; it is a rather uniquely Western creed that goes into excruciating detail about how to properly understand the Trinity.

The Definition of Chalcedon is a formula put forward at the Council of Chalcedon in 451 AD, the purpose of the formula is to reject the heresies of Nestorianism and Eutychianism; and presenting an orthodox statement on the Incarnation, that is, the Hypostatic Union: Jesus Christ is both God and man, without any confusion of the natures and without any separation of His person. Jesus is one person in two natures, God and human. God because He has always been God, the very Son, eternal and uncreated; and He is human because He was conceived in the womb of the Virgin Mary, joining Himself with our humanity, becoming one of us for our salvation. He is, therefore, the God-Man. We can't confuse the two natures or separate them; He is both in all things, always and forever. God, begotten of the Father before ages. Man, conceived and born of Mary in time.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I thought I'd confuse you more'

John 20:22
When Yeshua had said these things, He breathed upon them and he said to them, “Receive The Spirit of Holiness.”:amen::bow::clap::ebil::wave:

Yes, Jesus and the Father send the Holy Spirit. We see this most clearly in the Acts of the Apostles.

But if you are trying to suggest Jesus is the Holy Spirit, that of course is false.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
God is a Spirit, God is holy... so yes. :)

Except the Father isn't the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is indeed God, because He from all eternity proceeds from the Father, and is therefore Lord, Giver of Life, and very and real God; but He is not the Father.

There are Three: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; and these Three are One. One, because there is only one God, the Father, and the Father communicates His eternal Deity to the Son and the Spirit. Thus the Son is God, because His eternal origin is the Father, the Son is begotten not made, of one being with the Father, there was never a time the Son was not. Thus the Holy Spirit is God, because He proceeds eternally from the Father, as true God, of the same being as the Father and the Son.

This is the doctrine of the Holy Trinity as it has been taught since the beginning.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, Jesus and the Father send the Holy Spirit. We see this most clearly in the Acts of the Apostles.

But if you are trying to suggest Jesus is the Holy Spirit, that of course is false.

-CryptoLutheran
No I am not, brother. I believe in the Trinity.
The verse stating He Breathed on them the Holy Spirit, I gather means since He had already ascended to the Father, and didn't need the Holy Spirit any longer here on earth, so He gave Him to us

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Except the Father isn't the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is indeed God, because He from all eternity proceeds from the Father, and is therefore Lord, Giver of Life, and very and real God; but He is not the Father.

There are Three: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; and these Three are One. One, because there is only one God, the Father, and the Father communicates His eternal Deity to the Son and the Spirit. Thus the Son is God, because His eternal origin is the Father, the Son is begotten not made, of one being with the Father, there was never a time the Son was not. Thus the Holy Spirit is God, because He proceeds eternally from the Father, as true God, of the same being as the Father and the Son.

This is the doctrine of the Holy Trinity as it has been taught since the beginning.

-CryptoLutheran
I don't have any problem with how anyone resolves the being of God. After all, we are in the flesh and He is both Spirit and well above our ability to comprehend save for what little He shares with us. With that said...

We have ROOMS FULL of books on the human brain and we are only scratching the surface in regards to our understanding of it. We can touch it, smell it, dissect it, explore it and we are not "experts" albeit we have certainly taken great leaps in the last 20-30 years. When it comes to GOD we have a book, the bible, it is only 2000 pages long and most of it is NOT dealing with the make-up of the one who created the brain. :) So we shouldn't expect anyone to have perfect understanding AND... if "the holy Trinity" has been taught since the beginning... you would think that the phrase itself, "holy Trinity," would have been used and preserved inside the book that was inspired by the one in question. I am not saying it is a poor term, but it is CLEARLY a term created by man to describe something he lacked words for.

God is a Spirit (John 4:24) and there is one Spirit (Ephesians 4:4) so if you see two Spirits in the Father and the Holy Spirit... that is fine. I don't... and I neither need you to convince me of your position nor do I need to push mine on you. :)

I will throw in a little something to think about.... while I agree with you that the "three" are one... (Three what? People? Persons? Or manifestations of God? I believe the latter...) I would ask you what Spirit is in you now? The answer should be "the Holy Spirit" but what do you do with these?

Matthew 10:20 for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.

Romans 8:9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Romans 8:10a And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless; I will come to you.
John 14:26a But the comforter, who is the Holy Spirit,

Honestly, I am not trying to build me up or pat me on the back... but I generally add about 10 more of these verses to this point when having this discussion. But generally folks don't address the verses and just attack me at this point so I figure I should stop here. :)

My point in sharing the verses... If the Holy Spirit is who is in us... and He is UNIQUE from the Father and Son... then how is it that the Spirit of the Father spoke in them? Why is it that in one verse, the "Spirit of Christ" and "Spirit of God" are used interchangeably? Why does Paul in the very next verse just turn and say, "Christ is in you" rather than the "Holy Spirit is in you?" And what about the Spirit of the one who raised Yeshua from the grave is who is in you? Didn't the FATHER raise the Son? (Acts 10:40, Galatians 1:1) Yeshua also states that he won't leave us comfortless or as orphans, that he HIMSELF will come to us. I don't see the "unique and separate" people or persons that has been taught as a unified doctrine since the Council of Nicea in 321AD. If you do, that's fine... but I don't...

Respectfully,
Ken

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because He is called Son because He is begotten of the Father from before all ages;
In the beginning was the Word, not the Son.

The Word then became the begotten Son in the flesh through His incarnation:

"In the beginning was the Word...And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father" -- (John 1:1-14).

There was the Word, and then there was the begotten Son.
He is not the Son of God because He became man
I agree.

He is the Son of God because He was conceived by God and born of God from the womb of a woman.
He is the Son of God because He is God of God from all eternity.
Jesus is the Word of God from all eternity, but He only became the Son of God "Today":

"As it is also written in the second Psalm: 'You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.'" -- (Acts 13:33)

Because the Holy Spirit did not sire Jesus. Jesus was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit. If the Holy Spirit had sired Jesus then Mary wouldn't be a virgin. So, no, Mary didn't have sex with God.
You don't need sex to be a father, you just need insemination.

Mary was inseminated by the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Holy spirit and the father are the same.
The same what?
Bit hard to understand the trinity at times.
Yeah, I know what you mean.

God is certainly a triune being, but not necessarily three persons.
How can Jesus be called a son when he and god are one and the same person, never have got my head around that either.
Like I said, "person" may not be the best term to use.

Upvote 0