United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sites Let Consumers Find Out Who Searches For Them

BOSTON -- Fifty million times a day, someone Googles someone else's name, Boston television station WCVB reported. A new technology can help people figure out who is searching for them.

http://www.wsmv.com/technology/15341939/detail.html

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whoever "finds" me will be disappointed
6.gif

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow. Unless privacy laws are changed, within a few years it may be that everything you do on the net will be able to be tracked by other citizens. Not liking that thought.
Everything you do on the net already can be tracked.

Upvote 0

billwald

Contributor
Oct 18, 2003
washington state
✟6,386.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Try googling your own name. <G>

Jesus/God taught that privacy breeds evil. Honest deeds are done in the open. For example, we will never have an honest national election as long as the secret ballot exists. Voting should be done on the web in a gigantic data file.

Upvote 0

Mr.Pious

Senior Veteran
Dec 23, 2003
✟17,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others

Jesus/God taught that privacy breeds evil. Honest deeds are done in the open. For example, we will never have an honest national election as long as the secret ballot exists. Voting should be done on the web in a gigantic data file.

That is a horrible idea for quite a few reasons...

Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

And just where did Jesus/God teach that privacy breeds evil? :scratch: :confused:

You say that honest deeds are done in the open, does that mean that now whenever someone wants to have sex with someone else, they have to do it in public or else they're not being "honest" with other people? :scratch: :confused:

Finally a way that people can find out who's been cyber-stalking them!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Can you please (after all you don't want to keep anything in the dark do ya ;) ) Send me your SSN, Full name, Bank Account Numbers, Credit Card Numbers, PIN Numbers, Full Mailing Address, Mothers Maden Name, Fathers Full Name.

Reactions: Ave Maria
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's cool to me,But I'm concern about them being able to see information that should be very private things.But I wouldn't mind if someone seen that I google them.Hopefully they wouldn't mind.
Can you please (after all you don't want to keep anything in the dark do ya ;) ) Send me your SSN, Full name, Bank Account Numbers, Credit Card Numbers, PIN Numbers, Full Mailing Address, Mothers Maden Name, Fathers Full Name.
If someone could get this kind of information.I would be very concern of course.

Upvote 0

Adivi

Feb 21, 2008
✟15,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's cool to me,But I'm concern about them being able to see information that should be very private things.But I wouldn't mind if someone seen that I google them.Hopefully they wouldn't mind.

If someone could get this kind of information.I would be very concern of course.

That's their point; they're saying that there are some things that you want to keep private. Nowhere in the Bible, as far as I know, does it say that privacy is bad.

As for the article itself, I found it disappointingly light on technical details; I assume the site works by checking referrers to see whether it's from Google and then doing IP geolocation. If so, then it's trivially easy to bypass; just strip referrers and use a proxy. Plus you'd have to have an account on one of those sites, and you'd have to assume that the person searching for you would view that account.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's their point; they're saying that there are some things that you want to keep private. Nowhere in the Bible, as far as I know, does it say that privacy is bad.

As for the article itself, I found it disappointingly light on technical details; I assume the site works by checking referrers to see whether it's from Google and then doing IP geolocation. If so, then it's trivially easy to bypass; just strip referrers and use a proxy. Plus you'd have to have an account on one of those sites, and you'd have to assume that the person searching for you would view that account.
Or you can use a firewall that prevents your IP address from being visible to people online who shouldn't be allowed to have it. Unfortunately that doesn't always work. However, I went a website that uses IP Geolocation and asked them to locate my IP, I was rather surprised that even though the site knew my correct IP, it was not able to locate me. The location it pinpointed was over 500 miles away from where I'm at (much to my delight I may add). However, I have a dynamic IP address (for those of you non-computer geeks that means an IP address that changes when your direct connection to the Internet change i.e. when you have dial-up and you disconnect from the Internet and later reconnect or similar situations) so I suspect that perhaps the location of the IP address I am using is actually the location of my regional access point server.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was thinking they may be able track you address so I'm a little creeped out about too.

Upvote 0

Adivi

Feb 21, 2008
✟15,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I was thinking they may be able track you address so I'm a little creeped out about too.

Nah, address isn't generally obtainable over the internet. The most someone could do would be to find out roughly where you live from your IP address, but even that isn't that reliable.

Upvote 0