Who is a true Christian?

MemeBuster

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2005
✟2,698.00
Faith
Other Religion
Are liberal Christians who don't read the Bible literally true Christians or are the fundamentalists true Christians?

Can one accept ordination of women and still be true to the Christian doctrine?

Can one be for embryonic stem cell research or IVF and still be a Christian?

Does people who don't believe in historicity of genesis, Noah's flood, and exodus are true Christians?

Who decides these things? It seems to me that since the Bible is open to so many interpretations, there are no final authority to settle these things.

MB.

L.A.W.

Feb 28, 2005
✟7,866.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Let the scriptures interpret the scriptures. If you abide in the teaching of Yahushua then you really are a disciple of Yahushua. Abide in his teaching, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. You cannot serve two masters. You will love one and hate the other one. You must choose in whom you are serving. Where your heart is, there your treasures will be.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
To the original question: The answer to your question(s) will always elude you.

A lot of posts may follow, with this or that answer, inspired or not - it doesn't matter, except it may be a waste of time, right?

Jesus said "Unless you're born again, you cannot [even] see the
Kingdom of G_d."

and again "The worldly man can understand nothing. Only the spiritual (spiritually alive) can, no one else. "

So, what is really important - what do you really need to know?

Upvote 0
Apr 8, 2004
Schwandorf, Germany
✟9,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
MemeBuster said:
...Who decides these things? It seems to me that since the Bible is open to so many interpretations, there are no final authority to settle these things...

Thank you for this post. You are correct, there is certainly no earthly authority. (And LOTS of 'liberal' Christians read the Bible ;) , it's the care and feeding manual for our souls.)

God bless.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
MemeBuster said:
Are liberal Christians who don't read the Bible literally true Christians or are the fundamentalists true Christians?

Does people who don't believe in historicity of genesis, Noah's flood, and exodus are true Christians?

Who decides these things? It seems to me that since the Bible is open to so many interpretations, there are no final authority to settle these things.

MB.

The Holy Spirit decides these things. The Holy Spirit is our Helper and Authority. Let people follow what they deem to be the correct Way If they are meek and embrace the love of the truth the Authority will guide then into all understanding. If they are proud they will lead themselves astray and they will be lead into deception.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Upvote 0

Exist

Human
Mar 14, 2004
Here
✟7,908.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Well, according Mark 16:16-18...

"Whoever believes and is baptised will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

So, according to Jesus, if you aren't immune to poison, you're not doing it right.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
MemeBuster said:
Being a Christian isn't about how you read the bible, it's about how you follow Christ. So yes, both can be Christians.

It's not doctrine that makes one a Christian, but one's response to Christ. So yes.

See previous response.

See previous response.

The final authority is God. The bible is means for us to communicate with God, not an end in itself. Christianity is about walking a path with God, not a heap of facts about him with a fancy name.

Upvote 0

Dive

Apr 23, 2004
England
Visit site
✟388.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Maybe I'm simplifying this, but I don't think so:

If you have dedicated your life to Jesus Christ believing him to be the Son of God, asked for forgiveness and the Holy Spirit, asked him into your life to protect you, help you and love you and said that you fall way short of heaven without him then you are a Christian. Done and dusted.

God doesn't care about denominations. He cares about us.

Reactions: paulnoel
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟577,764.44
Faith
Messianic
God is our judge and He will sent the Hoy Spirit to convict you that which is true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MemeBuster said:

MB.

The scriptures tell us who the true Christians are:

The Resurrection of Christ

1Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.
3For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, [1Cor.15:1-4]

Out of this saving faith will flow the works that identify the true Christians:

'What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? [James 2:14]

"....I will show thee my faith by my works." [james 2:18]

Upvote 0

Exist

Human
Mar 14, 2004
Here
✟7,908.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
God is our judge and He will sent the Hoy Spirit to convict you that which is true.

Then how do we tell the Holy Spirit from our emotions? I'm sure Hitler thought the Holy Spirit was telling him what to do when he killed all the Jews. And if the Holy Spirit is telling all the Christians what's true, why do they differ so much on beliefs?

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Then how do we tell the Holy Spirit from our emotions? I'm sure Hitler thought the Holy Spirit was telling him what to do when he killed all the Jews. And if the Holy Spirit is telling all the Christians what's true, why do they differ so much on beliefs?

Too many people DO rely on emotions and think it's really the Holy Spirit. Everything SHOULD BE TESTED according to scriptures! If it contradicts scriptures, it's false! That is so important to know.

Upvote 0

Exist

Human
Mar 14, 2004
Here
✟7,908.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
If it contradicts scriptures, it's false!

Yes, but so many important things aren't talked about in the Bible, or else it's up to interpretation. It was said that the Holy Spirit will tell us, and I'm wanting to know how Christians know it's the Holy Spirit and not emotions/feelings.

Upvote 0
Apr 8, 2004
Schwandorf, Germany
✟9,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Remember, you are speaking with a bunch of Christians, here; there are many things which we simply assume. One of those things is the power of the Holy Spirit to guide us. That is probably why it's hard for you to get the 'straight answer' you are looking for. So many of us simply take it for granted because it is God's unconditional gift to us. I am a science-believing Christian, I understand what you are asking. As difficult as it is to explain, I will try. You probably believe in the physiological changes which take place within the human body in certain situations which give us'feelings'. But have you considered that God as the creator of all life may have given us this physiological capability for a reason?

OK, I sound like I'm preaching again:preach: ; but truth be told, I was as doubtful as you at one time. When I first invited the Spirit into my soul I couldn't tell the difference between Him and you-know-who, but quickly I came to realise that my internal dialogue and my unexplained 'feelings' could be split into three categories: inspiration (by the Spirit); intervention (by the evil one) and free-will (a gift from God ensuring our devotion to Him is genuine). Once you are truely in the Spirit, you can tell when the physiological changes in our bodies which we call emotions are 'forced' or 'inspired'. I know that doesn't really explain it all to you:sigh: , but hopefully I'm giving you a somewhat more tangible explanation than you are used to.

You sound so much like me before I found Christ that I feel an overwhelming drive to do everything I can to reach you. I hope I do not offend you in any way by saying that.

BTW, I have another book that you might really enjoy, Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis. Don't worry about buying it, I've got it on electrons and will be happy to share it with you. Just let me know if you're interested.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, but so many important things aren't talked about in the Bible, or else it's up to interpretation. It was said that the Holy Spirit will tell us, and I'm wanting to know how Christians know it's the Holy Spirit and not emotions/feelings.

Well if it is something that makes us look at ourselves with glee, then it's probably not the Spirit. If it turns us to God or do something that is loving to our neighbor and not going against God's Law, then it's most likely the Holy Spirit at work.

Upvote 0

prophecystudent

Oct 10, 2005
✟1,313.00
Faith
Christian
I posted here, this morning, to see if the bugs had been worked out of the new software. It seems they have, so I will try to provide my answers to the original questions.

Well, I posted a longer answer to the questions, and got an error message that the message was too short, it needed at least one character. As I had entered in a couple hundred characters, It seems there is still a bug or two in the system.

Fred

Upvote 0

prophecystudent

Oct 10, 2005
✟1,313.00
Faith
Christian
Will try another approach.

Salvation does not depend on reading the bible. It depends on believing in Christ and accepting Him as our personal savior.

Salvation (being a Christian) does not depend on anything except accepting Christ as our personal Savior. The new testament, as I recall, does say something about women remaining quiet in church. The Great Commission is given to all believers (male and female) and that means to spread the Good News to all the world. One could assume that this means to preach in church. Frankly, as long as the preacher remains true to the Word, I have no problem with that preacher being a woman.

Once again, salvation does not depend on one's opinion of these two subjects. Personally, I believe that embryonic stem cell research is murder of the most helpless among us. And I consider it to be evil. Adult stem cell research MIGHT be different. IVF raises questions in my mind as to the morality of it. Having never had to face the problem, it is difficult for me to render a judgement. Remember, however, that belief, or unbelief, in these things does not determine whether one is a Christian, or not.

One is saved (becomes a Christian) when one accepts Christ as personal savior. Christians tend to believe the bible is the inspired Word of God, and that it is inerrant (without error). Accepting this does not determine one's standing with Christ. Far too many people read the bible and have questions based on a lack of biblical knowledge. What I mean is that people read a portion of the bible and contrast it to another portion and then because there is a question, they condemn the whole bible. Scholars spend decades going back to the original texts to develop their knowledge and understanding. For someone to spend 10 minutes and then declare the bible is false is more than a little presumptuous.

Christ decides who is, and who is not, saved (a Christian). No one else, and the determining factor is our belief in Christ.

The devil causes doubt among mankind regarding the accuracy of the bible, and whether one man's death, resurrection and ascension is adequate to cover the sins of all mankind. God made that decision long ago, not the devil of today. If Satan can get believers (especially new believers) to doubt their salvation and repudiate it, then he has won.

The real answers to these questions depend on a simple procedure. Compare scripture with scripture.

Assume that God intended the LITERAL MEAING OF THE WORDS, unless there is a clear reason to believe the language is "figurative" or symbolic.

Fred

Upvote 0

collegekid4christ

Jan 16, 2006
✟15,199.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
ebia said:
Being a Christian isn't about how you read the bible, it's about how you follow Christ. So yes, both can be Christians.

It's not doctrine that makes one a Christian, but one's response to Christ. So yes.

See previous response.

See previous response.

The final authority is God. The bible is means for us to communicate with God, not an end in itself. Christianity is about walking a path with God, not a heap of facts about him with a fancy name.

i totally agree :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Davis

Veteran
Jul 23, 2005
Gowanda, NY
✟10,033.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Exist said:
Well, according Mark 16:16-18...

"Whoever believes and is baptised will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

So, according to Jesus, if you aren't immune to poison, you're not doing it right.
A christian has nothing to do with political views or worldy things.

A Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ. We follow His commands and His ways. There are no good christians or bad christians. If you don't follow Christs commands and repent of your sins than you are not a Christian.
Its is the following of Christ, not what political grouping you are a part of..

As far as Jesus words go if we have faith in Him than we can expect what he has told us here. But He also tells us not to Test God.
In the Book of James he tells us that we should not expect anything from God if we truley are not confident in what we are asking for.

We need to truley believe in Him.

Upvote 0