Who do you think is the best blues guitarist?

gav1nzdad

Somewhere in the middle
Jun 13, 2012
US
✟7,940.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
wow, somebody loves keith.

IMO joe bonamassa is the best blues player alive today
Ooops, just posted that I hadn't seen Joe's name on here. Missed this post. JB is pretty awesome, isn't he? The Last Matador of Bayonne is one of my favorites!

Upvote 0

ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟12,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

gav1nzdad

Somewhere in the middle
Jun 13, 2012
US
✟7,940.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Amber Bird

We have enough gun control.We need idiot control!
Jul 8, 2012
✟1,243.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well there is only one person I can think of that truely is the best blues guitarist and that is Stevie Ray Vaughan?
514649_356x237.jpg

Who do you think is the best blues guitarist? LOL^

Thanks alot and God Bless.
:thumbsup: Whole heartedly agree.
Rest in peace Stevie. Thank God your music lives forever.

Upvote 0

weathered

Jul 22, 2012
✟17,377.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes I understand what you was trying to say. Another point is
What is a "Western Instrument"? As Share Croppers they couldn't afford good instruments and a piano was just a dream.
Harmonicas were less expensive so that what was played a lot.
Yet, they used it to play music in their own culture style. Even the slide guitar is to mimic the voice. Yeah and they made their own One-String guitars. Another music you don't hear much of is the African-American Drum and fife bands.

As far as making due I have even heard BB King talk about when he was young tying a broken string to a broom wire so they could keep playing.

As far as the African link to the music, I have spent months in West Africa and I can the connection. The music from Mali is maybe the closest to the blues.

Taj Mahal, is a great guitarist that explores some of the roots and even some jazz influence.

Michael

That's where slide guitar came from i hear. They couldn't afford instruments and so they would take a wire and string in onto a board and use something to slide up and down the string to get different notes. Cool.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rev Wayne

Simplicity + Sincerity = Serenity
Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As someone already stated, it's pretty hard to pick a "best" blues guitarist, with all the different blues styles and sounds out there. I think Eric Clapton will be in anybody's book of "best" players. Clapton has been around too, I think he's played with EVERYbody. I had the privilege of seeing him on stage in Charlotte in '75, with Santana as the opener. Clapton had some guy in his band, I never found out his name, who was lick-for-lick right on track with him on stage that night, swapping licks like he BELONGED on the same stage with him. Then they had the encore, and Carlos Santana came out to finish with them, and it was funny watching him, because he did more watching those two than he did playing, with a look on his face like "How in the world do you DO that?"

I saw B.B. King live during the year he turned 80, and man, that guy never lost a step anywhere along the way, those guys were pouring it on.

My all-time favorite, though, and of course this is not saying anything to the question of best, just my personal fav, is Duane Allman. I think he's probably the smoothest blues guitarist ever. In second place I'd have to put Roy Buchanan, a wizard who influenced a lot of people. Johnny Winter is likely the fastest, or perhaps I should say was when he was in his prime. Stevie Ray played with the most soul. My favorite of the old acoustic players will always be Lightnin' Hopkins.

Some others I can't help mentioning:

Gary Moore
Lonnie Mack
Albert Collins
Buddy Guy
Clarence Gatemouth Brown
Dave Hole
Elvin Bishop
Jeff Beck
Joe Bonamassa
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Luther Allison
Bonnie Raitt

Upvote 0

epistemaniac

Mar 4, 2006
north central Indiana
✟1,528.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
so many great players!!

I too have been listening to Derek Trucks A LOT lately... unbelievable... other worldly... I especially like him with his wife Susan Tedeschi, in their "Tedeschi and Trucks Band"... here are a couple of my favorites, for any who care to give them a listen...

Upvote 0