Penna.
✟8,547.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, I was thinking more along the words in Matt. 24 about the "Elect" I thought it meant us ans born again Christians, but then reading in Isiah I got a bit confudes....

Isa 42:1
Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

Mat 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

sincerely, Pony

Upvote 0

itoldyounoalready

Sep 21, 2005
✟8,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
tpony298 said:
Well, I was thinking more along the words in Matt. 24 about the "Elect" I thought it meant us ans born again Christians, but then reading in Isiah I got a bit confudes....

Isa 42:1
Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

Mat 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

sincerely, Pony

Yes, in this context we are talking about Believer's here.

Upvote 0

tpony298

Aug 27, 2005
Penna.
✟8,547.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So these are those chosen by God or Jesus? As I think Elect transulates chosen, (I read that somewhere) Is this the predestionation spoken of in Ephesians?

sincerely Pony
I thank you for your help here.. I am pretty much shut in and do a lot of studying on my own...

Upvote 0

The Virginian

Sep 15, 2004
✟16,393.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
tpony298 said:
So these are those chosen by God or Jesus? As I think Elect transulates chosen, (I read that somewhere) Is this the predestionation spoken of in Ephesians?

sincerely Pony
I thank you for your help here.. I am pretty much shut in and do a lot of studying on my own...

Pre-destination; to decide beforehand what will happen. CHristians are chosen in Christ, before the foundation of the world. The plan of redemption was set in place; i.e., in the mind of God The Paschal Lamb was already sacrificed, in the Garden of Eden. And those who chose to receive the gift of mercy and grace were then destined ot be found righteous in Christ.
Therefore; to say that the elect of God are Christians, is true! However to say that they are specifically chosen, and that free will has no play in the matter whatsoever is erroneous.
The Trinity chose to make man in their image, to enact the redemption of the human race, to accept those who were once enemies, as righteous who have now humbled themselves before them. What I'm saying here, is that the Trinity freely chose, without any compulsion to do all which they have done. And true to their nature, of imparting to their creation a share of their nature (2nd Peter 1:1-4; Gen. 1:28), man has the capacity of free will.

Reactions: Flynmonkie
Upvote 0

tpony298

Aug 27, 2005
Penna.
✟8,547.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is so helpfull. I was having nightmares of people being born and NOT chosen and condemed just because they were born... I know God is the almighty and I woulld never question His reasons or motives...this part just wasn't clear to me...woulf you be interested in discussing this further,,,like Jerimiah..Samson...Gidieon....etc?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GraceInHim

† Need a lifeguard? Mine walks on water †
Oct 25, 2005
MA
✟24,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
tpony298 said:
Thank you for helping me...I would still be interested in learning more about this subject..however, I have learned the word is "Elect" I think....POny

I often think that we are chosen once we turn to God and make him first - he is a good God and changed me without a doubt - but I would never place myself or anyone above another - I believe this will happen when he returns - and that is when we are elected to go with him - OT stories is kinda what I like to live by - how those who were chosen from God - Abraham was so humble... and Noah...

Upvote 0

Flynmonkie

The First Official FrankenMonkie ;)
Feb 23, 2004
Home of Harry Truman - Missouri
Visit site
✟20,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Great Post The Virginian! :thumbsup:

I belive we are all "chosen", before the foundation of the world! We all have the oppourtunity to be elect. His Gift is available to everyone. However, some as GraceInHim describes will turn away from Him. We have no idea whom those will be or are. So when you believe in God, His love, having the faith as in Hebrews 11:1, you are one of the elect that is discussed. God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked...

God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked. He wants them all to TURN from their sinful ways.
Ezekiel 18:23
Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?
Ezekiel 18:32
For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!
Ezekiel 33:11
Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, O house of Israel?'

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
tpony298 said:
Throughout the Bible, the apostles use the word Elete. even in conversations with His desiples, Jesus uses the word..are these people called especially by God, taught by God for a Holy purpose?
Love Pony

elete ... elite ....... and Elect are not the same ........ in fact the meaning of Elite is totally the opposite of the Elect in scripture!

Upvote 0

tpony298

Aug 27, 2005
Penna.
✟8,547.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with, after doing some more research.. maybe it would be better too define the three before we get mixed up

I think I am interested in the elect...spoken of in Isaiah and in the elect spoken of in Matt.

Are these the Jewish Nation?
Are they special people chosen from birth from the Jewish Nation to preform a selcted job for God, like Jerimiah, Samson, Moses, David, and in the New Testament, John the Baptist, Paul, Peter, John....etc?
Or are they all the Christian from all nations who lived then and today?

Sincerely Pony

Upvote 0

tpony298

Aug 27, 2005
Penna.
✟8,547.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I absolutely agree with the post written here.

I know God has chosen all of us...(Who so ever)
and I know He has chosen us from the foundation of the earth...This is our hope and future... we don't have to worry about being a "reject".

This makes the word elect a verb...

I truely am not trying to be difficult...And I would understand if God did chose a few to specially trained to be our leaders. Some one has to be out front. At least this is what I think the scriptures say.

But then scripture like
2Ti 2:10
Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. " confuse me as I thought the elect already had salvation.

sincerely Pony

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Flynmonkie

The First Official FrankenMonkie ;)
Feb 23, 2004
Home of Harry Truman - Missouri
Visit site
✟20,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
tpony298 said:
<snip>

This makes the word elect a verb...

I truely am not trying to be difficult...And I would understand if God did chose a few to specially trained to be our leaders. Some one has to be out front. At least this is what I think the scriptures say.

But then scripture like
2Ti 2:10
Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. " confuse me as I thought the elect already had salvation.

sincerely Pony
What is believed is that Paul was responding to Timothy whom was located in Ephesus. Directly addressing the “church’s” departure from the truth. In essence Gentiles and Jews learning to be Christians. Now in 2 Tim 2:10 I find this “phrasing” very interesting also. But we have been taught to work out our own salvation. So I do not take this as saying we need to work to obtain salvation, but to "work it out", meaning to learn to walk in Christ. IMHO

Philippians 2:12
Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

So I believe what Timothy is trying to say is that He is enduring these things to set example, for others that are “working out” their salvation also? But I will check further into this to make sure.

Very interesting, I don’t remember every studying this in this perspective.
Now for the Isaiah 42:1 verse,
Isaiah 42
1Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

Elect means Chosen one. I guess I am not sure what you are actually asking? Elect seems to be used generally on all occasions when I search the word out. You must always remember to read the verse in context with the passage and chapter. If you read further down in Isaiah v6 you will see that the object of the passage is a light for the Gentiles. So you know this cannot be the meaning (alienation of the Gentiles). These verses (1-4) I believe that these verses are speaking of Christ, not people. God speaking of His son.

Have I helped any or confused you more. Again, I am really not sure what you mean by elect a verb?

Upvote 0

tpony298

Aug 27, 2005
Penna.
✟8,547.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Flynmonkie said:
What is believed is that Paul was responding to Timothy whom was located in Ephesus. Directly addressing the “church’s” departure from the truth. In essence Gentiles and Jews learning to be Christians. Now in 2 Tim 2:10 I find this “phrasing” very interesting also. But we have been taught to work out our own salvation. So I do not take this as saying we need to work to obtain salvation, but to "work it out", meaning to learn to walk in Christ. IMHO

Philippians 2:12
Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

So I believe what Timothy is trying to say is that He is enduring these things to set example, for others that are “working out” their salvation also? But I will check further into this to make sure.

Very interesting, I don’t remember every studying this in this perspective.

Now for the Isaiah 42:1 verse,
Isaiah 42
1Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

Elect means Chosen one. I guess I am not sure what you are actually asking? Elect seems to be used generally on all occasions when I search the word out. You must always remember to read the verse in context with the passage and chapter. If you read further down in Isaiah v6 you will see that the object of the passage is a light for the Gentiles. So you know this cannot be the meaning (alienation of the Gentiles). These verses (1-4) I believe that these verses are speaking of Christ, not people. God speaking of His son.

Have I helped any or confused you more. Again, I am really not sure what you mean by elect a verb?

YES IT IS INTERESTING. WHAT YOU SAY MAKES PERFECT SENCE. NO YOU HAVE NOT CONFUSED ME JUST STIRRED UP MY COURSITY EVEN MORE

Upvote 0

tpony298

Aug 27, 2005
Penna.
✟8,547.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Caliban said:
Did it say that even the elect will be fooled? It's in revelation I think somewhere!

Actually the verse you mention is
Mat 24:24
For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.
That is the verse that started this whole question.
And sence then I have found some more confusing things.

It is part of direction to the elders of the church and one part says
1Ti 5:21 I charge thee in the sight of God, and Christ Jesus, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without prejudice, doing nothing by partiality.

1Ti 5:22 Lay hands hastily on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.

The elect Angels?

love Pony

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.