Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pope Francis on Saturday named a new prefect for the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith, replacing Cardinal Luis Ladaria Ferrer with the Argentine theologian Archbishop Víctor Manuel Fernández.

While the pope’s decision to name Archbishop Fernández took many by surprise, the appointment itself was long overdue. Cardinal Ladaria turned 79 in April, and was closer to the mandatory age of exclusion for cardinals from a conclave (80) than to the nominal episcopal retirement age of 75.

The preference to leave serving cardinals and archbishops in key posts for years past the age at which they are expected to formally offer their resignations has become something of a new normal under Pope Francis.

But even the most dedicated bishops can’t remain in office forever, and age is beginning to catch up with many in senior positions. So, after Ladaria’s departure, which major positions is Francis likely to have to fill in the next year?

Continued below.

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,089.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Our own archbishop is nudging 75 if I heard him correctly at a recent event. I'm hoping the Pope leaves him there for a few more years as he's quite capable.

We'll see what happens. He's familiar with Rome and its workings as he lived there for a few years, becoming fluent in Italian in the process. Although by his own admission he "writes in schoolboy Italian" as "... I haven't had the training" (something he said years ago at another event).

Time moves on for all of us.

Upvote 0