White 'survivalist' gunman shoots black Oklahoma police chief 4 times — and walks fre

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
White 'survivalist' gunman shoots black Oklahoma police chief 4 times — and walks free
A Sentinel, Oklahoma man who shot the town’s police chief four times on Thursday morning was allowed to walk free after questioning.

According to NewsOK.com, Police Chief Louis Ross was shot in the chest three times and once in the arm while responding to a bomb threat at a private residence. He survived with only minor injuries thanks to a borrowed bulletproof vest that he had put on only moments before.

The incident began with a 911 call around 4 a.m. on Thursday, said Sentinel Mayor Sam Dlugonski. A caller reported that a bomb had been planted in Sentinel Community Action Center, home of the local Head Start program.

... ... ...​

Chief Ross and deputies from the Washita County sheriff’s office traced the call to Horton’s residence on State Route 4. Officers entered the residence by breaking down the door.

Encountering no one in the first room they searched, Ross proceeded into a second bedroom, where Horton shot him four times.
The color of justice... :sigh:

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
His release seemed to be because he claimed that the officers failed to identify themselves. If that's true, then I'd say that the dept did the right thing by letting him go.

Questions remain after Sentinel police chief is shot, detained man is released | NewsOK.com

This is what is bound to happen when the police break down doors to peoples' homes and invade with assault weapons. What is a homeowner to think? Are we supposed to fear for our lives and take defensive action when our homes are being broken into, or are we to automatically assume that when our homes are being violently broken into that way, it must be the police (our public servants)?

Do the police hesitate to defend themselves when they "fear for their lives"? Are their actions excused on that basis almost every time when they kill someone who turned out to not be a threat? If the police are our servants, why do they get away with this, but citizens in their own homes are expected to submit to being attacked?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Funny how some people get all bent out of shape when clothing is used to identify a person as a gangster thug, but have no problem being able to tell a survivalist by his clothing choices.
A thug is defined by his actions, not his clothes. Thug has also become a code word for race, hence very few whit people being labeled as thug based on their clothes unless they are considered "dressed as black."

In addition, the man was not labeled a survivalist because of his clothing, it was because of what he did and said. Th only description given is that he wore a lot of black clothing.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
From the article in post #1.

Officers entered the residence by breaking down the door. Encountering no one in the first room they searched, Ross proceeded into a second bedroom, where Horton shot him four times.

Hmm... I'm surprised Horton didn't get shot several times. Ross must have entered the second room by himself. I'm hoping he was not entering with a cop behind him who froze and did not enter once hearing the gun shots.

It's dangerous being the first person to enter through a door or the first one to enter a room you're clearing.

You can't really tell what transpired from the article though. If I'm the second man through the door (ideally at least two people should clear a room) I'm shooting the man or woman firing on the cop that entered immediately before me.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps it would wise to first find out all the facts of this case before jumping to conclusions and making a false judgment call. Just a suggestion.

If we did that we couldn't get all righteously outraged!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Maybe the cop should have used the door bell first.

What? And not use their battering ram on the door and make a "dynamic entry" with fancy assault rifles? If they just used the doorbell, they wouldn't be able to justify spending all those tax dollars on fancy tactical gear for "officer safety" (or "public safety", depending on who they want to impress).

But it's true that simple methods like ringing the doorbell and waiting for the guy to answer it in order to grab him would be much cheaper and safer for everyone than acting like a violent home invader, which only begets a violent response.

Also, this guy was assumed to be the one who had made a bomb-threat call. It has now been determined that he didn't do it: http://gawker.com/white-man-shoots-black-police-chief-four-times-and-walk-1680254831

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Was this like a swatting? How did the call come from the residence that was raided?

This is pretty scary! People are able to "spoof" phone calls (I believe that's what they call it when you're able to call someone and have the person's caller ID show some other number). It actually happened to me one time. I was at home minding my own business when I got a call from the police department asking me why I called 911 and hung up. I told them I didn't call them at all. After they argued with me for awhile, they ended the call. Then a few minutes later, they called me again accusing me of doing it a second time. I just kept telling them that I didn't do it. I didn't know what else I could say about it. After that call ended, maybe 5 minutes went by and then the cops were at my door demanding entry into the home and then they went around the house to see if anyone else was there and if anything was out of order. Nothing and nobody was found. After further accusing me of calling 911 and hanging up, they told me not to do it anymore and then left.

This all happened about 17 years ago, when the internet and computers weren't nearly as advanced as they are now, so I can imagine it's even easier for someone to "spoof" 911, making it look like someone else is making the call. Telemarketing scammers also can spoof, making them appear to be the IRS or your bank in order to trick you into thinking it's a legit call. I just hope SWAT teams and the police in general will start taking this into consideration before unnecessarily victimizing someone, possibly even taking lives in the process. If they would actually start considering people to be innocent until proven guilty, it would be a good starting point.

Last edited:
Reactions: nightflight
Upvote 0