white supremecist reception into Orthodox Church controversy

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Saddened to see this is even present within Orthodoxy or debated....anytime the KKK or White Supremacy is involved (and, of course - that's separate from being thankful of an Anglo-Saxon/Caucasian heritage), it's a pity. And truthfully, a bit uncomfortable (as a Black Hispanic myself) to see anyone defend the actions of the man or what he did as if it wasn't hateful or hurtful. My grandmother, grandfather (who was lynched) and others who went through so much pertaining to that - seeing those things celebrated that caused them harm is always something which is heavy to consider since I know the Church doesn't support that and yet people speaking in the name of the Church still give those actions a lot of prominence...

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, allowing your gf to sleep around with others- as long as it doesn't get out into the public still goes against Orthodoxy. Now only if I can figure out why the NBA won't allow him to buy a ticket and go to a game as a spectator, I guess 1st ammendment rights isn't popular with those lads.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like many people here have opinions based on the opinions of others...based on what Matthew has said publicly about his views, I think he is being demonized a bit. He was definitely wrong to take a cross to a counter-demonstration, but I think this is more youthful indiscretion than neo-nazi racism. In fact this whole incident had absolutely nothing to do with race - it was about countering the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]walk ideology that women should be free to be a promiscuous as they want without being judged thinly veiled as a solution to sexual assault on campus. It's incredible to me that any self-respecting woman would participate in such a walk. Promotion of the Christian virtues of purity, chastity and virginity was the noble intent of Matthew and his cohorts - but however noble, it was obviously misguided and ended in embarrassment.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The incident was not racial, but it brought a spotlight on the views of the group he started and has espoused in the past and how he was promoting it as in some way Orthodox. Yes, the popular discourse on the internet turns into a witch hunt a little, and that is bad, but I don't think that's what driving the situation on the ground in Indiana.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I said previously that the incident in question was not racial, but, then, if you look at their commentary on the incident - on facebook and on their blogs - they constantly refer to the people opposed to their demonstration as "anti-white". The caption on that one picture - "Good night, anti-White". Wait, but the people opposed to their demonstration are white, they're participating in an event about sexual violence and victim-blaming, so where does race come into this? How are those people anti-White? One thing the photos don't capture is what they are saying, sure. And they put a Wolfsangel on a cross as their logo, along with an adapted image from Dugin's fascist group. The former is neo-Nazi imagery, the latter is just fascist. But I find the whole discussion they are having very disturbing. Oh, they also had a protestor who, for whatever reason, had a sign saying, "Kinsey paid men to rape infant children." That's... not relevant to any point I'm making, it's just pointing out how "off" these people are.

Of course, their entire project is heavily race-focused. When they discuss their discipline by the Church, they say they hope the Church is not "anti-White". I hope this helps them overcome their singular focus on race.

Upvote 0

Evangelos

Dec 18, 2011
✟15,282.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I hate to get into a thread so late (forgive me for not knowing about this, but I wish I hadn't seen this). I am completely blown away by this. I nearly spit my drink out on the screen. Sad fact but true, that this is an example of a person even Hitler would have probably gotten rid of. The Nazi demographic isn't exactly what I would call the most intelligent.

My two cents:

I tend to think this is really no different than the Golden Dawn rhetoric, rife with racism from Nikolaos Michaloliakos. Xenophobia is pretty common in some GO parishes. If you replaced the word "hellenic" with "Anglo" or "White" you would probably be setting off all kinds of alarms with the ADL, ACLU etc. I'm pretty positive I am not allowed to marry anyone's daughter at church because of my ethnicity, so sorry, it does exist, we just don't want to call it racism unless a white guy is the one doing it.

That said, I dislike this guy, I think he's a complete troll.

This kind of garbage sets Orthodox evangelism on American soil back decades, race relations back centenaries and ruins people's chance for communion with one another in the broad sense. If you want a strong national Orthodox Church in the Americas with all the ethnicity worshiping together without infighting this is definitely the kind of stuff that needs to be met with excommunication in my humble opinion.

CORRECTION :
Whoa I didn't realize he was THIS bad. ARE YOU SERIOUS!!?!! Google youtube and Matthew Heimbach

Last edited:
Upvote 0