Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Which is simply doubling down on your logical fallacy, that since a source is overall faulty then any information it documents is to be dismissed, which is absurd. Even if the National Inquirer was the only source that best documents an issue it could be cited, and in this case i was only aware of Conservapedia best providing valid concise documentation on the homosexual agenda, corresponding to After the Ball.
I couldn't care less what some conservative blogger writing for Conservapedia thinks about the "homosexual agenda." Conservapedia is no authority on LGBT rights activism, or atheism, or any of the topics you've cited it for thus far.
And you could indeed cite Stormfront if it provided some of the best sound documentation on Trump being a white supremacists, if that was your argument. There opinion seems to have credibility in your eyes anyway when it serves your purpose.
Would you accept Stormfront as an authority on Jewish history? Why or why not?
"Vacuous?" Hardly, for while you must reject our basis for saying so they are far from empty slogans, as if evangelicals saw no substance for them. Do i really need to provide documentation when your argument is against legal definitions of abortion, so that one who supports the killing of infant is not pro-death, and who supports other moral aspects that NT Christians would reject? Want to argue that?
The killing of an infant, or infanticide? For the last time, we are not talking about infancy, which usually refers to the period from birth up until the first or second year of life. We are talking about much earlier stages of development — zygote, embryo, foetus. If you can't discuss this issue honestly, instead opting to misrepresent those you disagree with as supporting "the killing of infants," then there really is no point in continuing this part of our exchange.
What relevance? When you state "infants do not die in abortion," then is it not relevant that i show that they do, and are called a child, and in recourse to the personhood argument on the basis of rights, is it not relevant when i show that they are given human rights, though murder is not always a charge for killing them, even if based on location (inside or outside the womb?
See above.
You can debate that with the governments that at the least make the killing of such to be homicide- the killing of a person, but as far as logic is concerned if it can be murder to kill such outside the womb so it can be while inside, which according to out standard it is.
I will simply reiterate: "... the next step would be for you to draw some principled criteria for personhood and to show that a zygote, embryo, foetus satisfies those criteria. So far, the only criterion you seem to have is that it is a "member of the species homo sapiens." But apart from possessing human DNA, which is true of all "members of the species homo sapiens," it is unclear why merely belonging to a particular species should be considered sufficient for personhood."
Misrepresenting? The context was personhood as relates to the Unborn Victims of Violence Act and you were countering my argument that location (legally) made the killing of a newborn to be murder, (since killing the same inside can be homicide of a newborn), and you denied that it was a single determinative factor. But which means that in such a case other factors are needed for personhood, and thus even an infant that is born may not be a person if lacking such factors though while inside the womb it would be homicide. If in this context for you location itself does not mean such is a person then it is a slippery slope.
A slippery slope fallacy, from you perhaps? I notice that you avoided nominating any additional criteria for personhood apart from being "a member of the species homo sapiens." Notably, you never bothered to justify why this alone should be considered sufficient for personhood.
What?! What nonsense. Scripture is indeed the professed supreme standard for me and typically for evangelicals.
Professed, yes. You profess many things. But you establish very little.
Again, my argument was based on the unborn being a crime victim under the Unborn Victims of Violence Act and "in the US an unborn child is recognized as a legal victim, if s/he is injured or killed during the commission of any of over 60 listed federal crimes of violence.", and that while one can be charged with homicide according to its criteria, and once outside the killing of the same can result in the charge of murder, then location is a single determinative factor.

I can understand why you want to resort to perhaps whether a second old zygote is a person, but the context her is Hillary being a murderer, which is true simply because since she supports the killing of viable infants while in the womb. For this charge there is no need to get into personhood of the most immature stage of life, but that if we are going to deal with legal definition, then logically if killing of an unborn child can be homocide while it is in the womb, and the killing of the same would be murder once it is outside the womb, then i was arguing that from a legal standpoint that those who support such being killing while in the womb should be held as guilty of the same crime as killing the same child outside the womb.
Dr Jen Gunter does an excellent job touching on this issue, emphasising that abortions after 20 weeks are rare and happen because of a combination of maternal health factors and foetal abnormalities incompatible with life.

This is partly why I raised the issue of personhood earlier on. If the foetus exhibits a devastating abnormality resulting in the absence of a brain or other vital organs, meaning that it will die prior to or shortly after delivery and will never have sentience, then does it satisfy our criteria for being considered a person entitled to all the rights and protections that personhood entails? By your single criterion, it does, since it possesses the DNA of homo sapiens. But as I pointed out above, you never bothered to justify why that alone is sufficient.
I would then doubt that you were ever truly converted according to what Scripture teaches on the subject.
See my discussion with anonymous person for my response to this.
This is not a "no true Scotsman" argument for its appeal is to an objective source and standard on the matter.
If you had met me many years ago, I'm almost certain that you would have concluded the exact opposite using the same "objective standard."
It is not a criterion but it is evidential testimony which relates to the "rationality
issue. That a country will benefit by basically honoring parents, authority, the aged, being married or celibate if not, rewarding honest labor with benefits and penalizing the willfully indolent, and yet showing mercy to victims (rather than the idea that not having what others earned means you necessarily are a victim, and have a right to the benefits of those who worked, by the hand of self-exalted saviors), and with capital crimes receiving the death penalty via eyewitness testimony, or possible equivalent (with false witnesses receiving the penalty their lying incurred), etc., versus what we see increasingly fostered today in society an increasingly hostile to Christian faith and morals.
I'm sure you are aware that there are various ways of arguing for each of those points that are not contingent on appeals to Scripture. The broader issue I was pointing to, however, was that Scripture alone clearly isn't enough, not even for you. That is why you strive to show that abiding by Scriptural dictates actually confers benefits to society; that it is good that we obey what we read in the Bible. Even if that were true, however, it would not be good because it is expressed in the Bible. "Love thy neighbour" is good, but its goodness doesn't depend on any scriptural origin. Loving thy neighbour would be good even if the instruction came from the Quran or was inscribed anonymously on the Great Wall.
Certainly, and separation of powers is a NT teaching (regardless of abertions such as the Inquisitions), but the 1st amendment was not understood as the hyper separatists tend to construe it.
You are again referring here to your interpretation of NT teaching, which is hardly universal, even among your fellow evangelicals, some of whom aspire to end the separation in various ways.
That is absurd, for proper interpretation is not done in isolation, but requires understanding such things as the historical context (such as what precipitated the 1st amendment: Baptists protesting having to support a state church) and the writers own thoughts on the matter and their application.
Of course the historical context is important. I never said otherwise. The point I objected to was allowing the founders' religious opinions to overshadow what they clearly established legally and politically. Likewise with any of their opinions on other matters.
And in which we see do not see them as understanding the 1st amendment as hostile to religion,
I don't interpret it in a manner hostile to religion either. More precisely, I don't interpret it in a manner hostile to religious freedom, but certainly in a way that is inimical to religious privilege. Unfortunately, the two seem to be conflated by many on the religious right who erroneously perceive others as being free (to marry, for instance) as a threat to their freedom.
and as if they meant to establish purely secular thought and morality, to the exclusion of all religious reference,
Religious reference is less of an issue, IMO, than legislation that is specifically (perhaps even exclusively) religiously motivated. That is the problem.
that those in government could not publicly pray as such, and even exhort the nation to do so, and affirm and advocate for religion in general,
Obviously that isn't an issue, with many politicians happily wearing their religion on their sleeves in an effort to please their voting base.
and read the Bible and pray in public schools,
You can pray in public schools. You cannot use public schools as a platform to advocate for prayer, however. Again, note the distinction between religious freedom and religious privilege.
Actually they deny rights to their citizens on the basis of unproven secular morality, a faith belief in form of social engineering,
But it's not "social engineering" when done by the religious right, amirite? ;)
and as if the Founders would approve,
What relevance does this have? Would the founders have all approved of the abolition of slavery? Again, appreciating the historical context in which they lived does not mean that we are obligated to share their religious opinions.
That is absurd! These men simply did not evidence that they were given to invoke the name of God casually, as a mere superfluous convention, but as seen so many other places it gave solemn weight to formal documents. The Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation as well as as several state constitutions had clearly and prominently invoked God in their opening or closing.
I was referring here to your allusion to "the Year of our Lord" reference. As someone who emphasises historical context, I thought you'd appreciate just how common this reference would have been at that time, but clearly I needed to make that point more explicit.
Yes, as much as an anathema that it is to atheists, its called not prohibiting the free exercise of religion, in this case by the state forcing churches to act contrary to their faith. And either way, the state is imposing a belief upon others.
How is the state forcing churches to act contrary to their faith? In the case of SSM, the fact that others are now legally able to marry members of the same sex in no way forces your church "to act contrary to its faith." Unless by "its faith," you mean forcing everyone else to abide by your church's rules.
Sure. After what we have seen in the past few years i expect even worse. Under the supreme secular moral sense of the current administration a boy who thinks he is a girl would even be allowed in a girls’ shower room.
As I noted at the very beginning of this thread, those who feigned concern for women's safety in the shower room voted overwhelmingly for a guy who bragged about grabbing women by the genitals. Your concerns are severely misplaced.
There is no need to cherry pick. Do your own research on the incidence of STIs etc. and associated costs.
I have, and I will continue to. You should consider how programs like absistence-only sex education contribute — such programs being almost universally religiously motivated.
A Christian sign-maker need not be the case, but any sign-maker that did not object. And in your example while it would not be analogous to any of the cases i know of, instead of targeting business for a non-necessity then at best the owner that refused should simply have to pay the total cost to have another business do it, or accommodate the customer. No massive fines should be levied for issues of conscience.
That's an issue of what the appropriate penalty or course of action should be.
So that's the best you can do when faced with a clear "I disavow" of a fringe group? But the Obama/ranting Rev. Wright mutual admiration society was blithely excused by liberals.
As I pointed out in another thread:
I remember the outrage from the right when Obama gave Van Jones a position in his administration, with then-Representative Mike Pence saying "[Jones'] extremist views and coarse rhetoric have no place in this administration or the public debate." In a move praised by David Duke and neo-Nazis, Trump appoints a white nationalist known for his extremist views and coarse rhetoric as chief strategist and senior counsellor, and instead of discussing whether his apology will come today or tomorrow, we're talking about unity? Unity!
Look, its increasingly apparent that these "love trumps hate" type are so moved by unconditional hatred for Trump (and "Bible Christians" however different) that they cannot allow themselves objective analysis. And you sound too much like them. I do not think i should continue spending hours (it does) refuting such.
Being the scurrilous demagogue that he is, he has certainly earned the criticism he is receiving.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Unworthy servant for the Worthy Lord + Savior
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I couldn't care less what some conservative blogger writing for Conservapedia thinks about the "homosexual agenda." Conservapedia is no authority on LGBT rights activism, or atheism, or any of the topics you've cited it for thus far.
Meaning you simply have no argument and instead continually resort to the same genetic fallacy rather than actually deal with the damming documentation. My use of Conservapedia was not as an authority on anything, but as a source of documented characteristics of a group.
Would you accept Stormfront as an authority on Jewish history? Why or why not?
No, nor would i accept Conservapedia on the whole subject, but i could as as a source of a concise documented article on an issue i could, if that was better than others i found.
The killing of an infant, or infanticide? For the last time, we are not talking about infancy, which usually refers to the period from birth up until the first or second year of life. We are talking about much earlier stages of development — zygote, embryo, foetus. If you can't discuss this issue honestly, instead opting to misrepresent those you disagree with as supporting "the killing of infants," then there really is no point in continuing this part of our exchange.
What? Misrepresenting? I am the one who began with the killing of infants, and shows such as defined as being children. You are the one who wanted to get into legal definitions and perhaps one second old zygotes.
I will simply reiterate: "... the next step would be for you to draw some principled criteria for personhood and to show that a zygote, embryo, foetus satisfies those criteria. So far, the only criterion you seem to have is that it is a "member of the species homo sapiens." But apart from possessing human DNA, which is true of all "members of the species homo sapiens," it is unclear why merely belonging to a particular species should be considered sufficient for personhood."
If you want legal definitions, if a killing a fetus can render one guilty of homicide, then i would argue it is recognizing such as a child.
A slippery slope fallacy, from you perhaps? I notice that you avoided nominating any additional criteria for personhood apart from being "a member of the species homo sapiens." Notably, you never bothered to justify why this alone should be considered sufficient for personhood.
Because if what i think is going to matter than the best i can see is that personhood from conception, but since you seem to want legal definitions then i showed the killing the unborn can result in the charge of homicide (or murder in some places), which infers personhood, and killing such outside the womb could result in the charge of murder.
Professed, yes. You profess many things. But you establish very little.
What?! If i establish things from the Bible then you dismiss the source, and then claim i have no standard and then say i establish very little. While actually you are the one without any supreme standard to establish any moral stand by.
Dr Jen Gunter does an excellent job touching on this issue, emphasising that abortions after 20 weeks are rare and happen because of a combination of maternal health factors and foetal abnormalities incompatible with life.

Nice try by this prochoice MD, but first, i was not necessarily to late term abortions in citing homicide under the Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2004. Which defines "child in utero" as "a member of the species Homo sapiens, at any stage of development..

The Unborn Victims of Violence Act was strongly opposed by most pro-choice organizations, on grounds that the U.S. Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision said that the human fetus is not a "person" under the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution, and that if the fetus were a Fourteenth Amendment "person," then they would have a constitutional right to life.

However, the laws of 38 states also recognize the human fetus as the legal victim of homicide (and often, other violent crimes) during the entire period of pre-natal development (27 states) or during part of the pre-natal period (nine states).[8]

Legal challenges to these laws, arguing that they violate Roe v. Wade or other U.S. Supreme Court precedents, have been uniformly rejected by both the federal and the state courts, including the supreme courts of California, Pennsylvania, and Minnesota.[9] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unborn_Victims_of_Violence_Act

In addition, for what its worth, this source states regarding late term abortion,

A study published at the pro-choice Guttmacher Institute’s Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health found that women seeking both first-trimester and late-term abortions provided the same reasons for delaying their abortions.

Dr. Elizabeth Johnson, writing at the pro-life Charlotte Lozier Institute (CLI), observed that, in the study, women seeking both first-trimester and late-term abortions reported “not knowing about the pregnancy,” “trouble deciding about the abortion,” and “disagreeing about the abortion with the man involved,” with similar frequency.

“Among women in the late-term abortion group, the most commonly cited reason for delaying the procedure was ‘raising money for the procedure and related costs,’” Johnson said.

This is partly why I raised the issue of personhood earlier on. If the foetus exhibits a devastating abnormality resulting in the absence of a brain or other vital organs, meaning that it will die prior to or shortly after delivery and will never have sentience, then does it satisfy our criteria for being considered a person entitled to all the rights and protections that personhood entails? By your single criterion, it does, since it possesses the DNA of homo sapiens. But as I pointed out above, you never bothered to justify why that alone is sufficient.
I did not need to. But if being able to survive outside the womb will do it for you, Hillary supports the murder of those who could survive outside the womb before the third trimester, and not simply because of rape or life of the mother reasons.
See my discussion with anonymous person for my response to this.
Later.
If you had met me many years ago, I'm almost certain that you would have concluded the exact opposite using the same "objective standard."
I'm not.
I'm sure you are aware that there are various ways of arguing for each of those points that are not contingent on appeals to Scripture. The broader issue I was pointing to, however, was that Scripture alone clearly isn't enough, not even for you.
Which again i never claimed as regards providing justification for a position to those without.
"Love thy neighbour" is good, but its goodness doesn't depend on any scriptural origin. Loving thy neighbour would be good even if the instruction came from the Quran or was inscribed anonymously on the Great Wall.
Yet love thy neighbor requires foundational morality so that what you would chose for yourself would be best for others.
You are again referring here to your interpretation of NT teaching, which is hardly universal, even among your fellow evangelicals, some of whom aspire to end the separation in various ways.
Nor is the Constitution without variant interpretations, but which does not invalidate its authority.
Of course the historical context is important. I never said otherwise. The point I objected to was allowing the founders' religious opinions to overshadow what they clearly established legally and politically. Likewise with any of their opinions on other matters.
Not overshadow, nor are simply their religious opinions the case, but that their other writings and application of the 1st Amendment enable proper understanding of what they meant.
I don't interpret it in a manner hostile to religion either. More precisely, I don't interpret it in a manner hostile to religious freedom, but certainly in a way that is inimical to religious privilege. Unfortunately, the two seem to be conflated by many on the religious right who erroneously perceive others as being free (to marry, for instance) as a threat to their freedom.
The problem is that what is religious freedom in the Constitution is seen as religious privilege to hyperseperatists.
Religious reference is less of an issue, IMO, than legislation that is specifically (perhaps even exclusively) religiously motivated. That is the problem.
Which too often is in the eyes of the beholder.
Obviously that isn't an issue, with many politicians happily wearing their religion on their sleeves in an effort to please their voting base.
Oh yes, examples of, and affirmation and advocation for religion in general must be blithely dismissed as merely an effort to please their voting base. Why eve argue with such?
You can pray in public schools. You cannot use public schools as a platform to advocate for prayer, however. Again, note the distinction between religious freedom and religious privilege.
Again, the freedom of those in government to express general religious faith, as the very men who affirmed the Constitution did, must be disallowed due to its construance as religious privilege.
But it's not "social engineering" when done by the religious right, amirite? ;)
No, as there is nothing radically engineered contrary to basic traditional morality, unlike liberalism.
What relevance does this have? Would the founders have all approved of the abolition of slavery?
Many or most, but commitment must match desire.

the Founders, with the exception of those from South Carolina and Georgia, exhibited considerable aversion to slavery during the era of the Articles of Confederation (1781–89)
but they did not go far enough:
Although they eventually enacted a federal ban on the importation of foreign slaves in 1808, the enslaved population continued to expand through natural reproduction, while the growing internal domestic slave trade led to an increase in the tragic breakup of enslaved families. - https://www.britannica.com/topic/The-Founding-Fathers-and-Slavery-1269536
Again, appreciating the historical context in which they lived does not mean that we are obligated to share their religious opinions.
Again, appreciating the historical context in which they lived and their manifest understanding of the 1st Amendment enables us to rightly understand it.
I was referring here to your allusion to "the Year of our Lord" reference. As someone who emphasises historical context, I thought you'd appreciate just how common this reference would have been at that time, but clearly I needed to make that point more explicit.
The point is that commonality simply does not mean mere custom/meaningless superfluity.
How is the state forcing churches to act contrary to their faith? In the case of SSM, the fact that others are now legally able to marry members of the same sex in no way forces your church "to act contrary to its faith." Unless by "its faith," you mean forcing everyone else to abide by your church's rules.
It means this is the trajectory, as explained. e
As I noted at the very beginning of this thread, those who feigned concern for women's safety in the shower room voted overwhelmingly for a guy who bragged about grabbing women by the genitals. Your concerns are severely misplaced.
Pretty weak. As if this was recent and characteristic, while as explained (sigh), this simply does not mean approval for the negative, any more than it means approval of Trump being what CNN headlines as one of the most "pro-LGBT" Republican presidential nominees ever.

Trump actually could have killed evangelicals in the past and still gotten their vote now. They had not viable alternative, and doing the best you can with what you have is entirely reasoanble and justified, and he does have good qualities as well as bad.
You should consider how programs like absistence-only sex education contribute — such programs being almost universally religiously motivated.
And by common sense. Sure it is difficult to succeed but the benefits outweigh it, and separate schools for boys and girls needs to go along with it.
That's an issue of what the appropriate penalty or course of action should be.
Correct.
As I pointed out in another thread: I remember the outrage from the right when Obama gave Van Jones a position in his administration,... Trump appoints a white nationalist known for his extremist views and coarse rhetoric
Van Jones versus Steve Bannon? Are you serious? Former Communist and "Rowdy Black Nationalist" Jones is such a deluded ranting neurotic that he makes "darkness is good" Steve Bannon look reasonable.
Being the scurrilous demagogue that he is, he has certainly earned the criticism he is receiving.
You mean neurotic (sees racism in every closest) race-baiting hatemonger Van Jones? His unhinged rants and attacks on people based on the color of their skin ends up promoting racism, and racial strife, which liberal whites (CNN etc.) as well as black power brokers use to obtain an audience and power. Its culture, not the color skin that is the problem, and the inculcated hatred of a class of people based on the color of their skin, even while they chant of love, promotes racism, which is see on both side, but it politically correct when done by such as Jones.

And with that, i have decided to end this patient attempt at meaningful debate, which your prolonged unreasonable hateful bigotry frustrates.

Time for me to focus on other threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Meaning you simply have no argument and instead continually resort to the same genetic fallacy rather than actually deal with the damming documentation. My use of Conservapedia was not as an authority on anything, but as a source of documented characteristics of a group.
There's nothing to deal with. You presented a right-wing blog masquerading as an encyclopaedia in a discussion on LGBT rights activism. I had a good laugh, but beyond that there is nothing meriting a response.
So you understand then why I would dismiss your source without hesitation.
What? Misrepresenting? I am the one who began with the killing of infants, and shows such as defined as being children. You are the one who wanted to get into legal definitions and perhaps one second old zygotes.
Why shouldn't we discuss one-second-old zygotes? According to the only criterion you presented, they are persons.
If you want legal definitions, if a killing a fetus can render one guilty of homicide, then i would argue it is recognizing such as a child.
I actually never asked for legal definitions. What I asked for instead was some criteria for determining personhood. The law doesn't precede those criteria; it follows from them.
Because if what i think is going to matter than the best i can see is that personhood from conception,
Okay, and why should that be the sole criterion?
What?! If i establish things from the Bible then you dismiss the source, and then claim i have no standard and then say i establish very little. While actually you are the one without any supreme standard to establish any moral stand by.
What's ironic is that you seem to be relying less on your ostensibly "supreme standard" and more on the standard that you accuse me of lacking. For instance, you seem to be arguing that we should abide by Scripture's moral teachings because such teachings have been proven to be good, as demonstrated in various metrics of health and wellbeing — which is different from saying "It is good because the Bible says so, because God commands it."
Nice try by this prochoice MD, but first, i was not necessarily to late term abortions in citing homicide under the Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2004. Which defines "child in utero" as "a member of the species Homo sapiens, at any stage of development..

However, the laws of 38 states also recognize the human fetus as the legal victim of homicide (and often, other violent crimes) during the entire period of pre-natal development (27 states) or during part of the pre-natal period (nine states).[8]
Okay, but you have yet to present a case for why this criterion alone should be considered sufficient for personhood. You seem to be assuming that the fact that an implicit assumption built into existing legislation means that your case is already made. As I noted above, the laws don't precede the relevant criteria; they follow from them. The relevant question then is whether legislation should be crafted around your chosen criterion ("member of the species homo sapiens") at all.
“Among women in the late-term abortion group, the most commonly cited reason for delaying the procedure was ‘raising money for the procedure and related costs,’” Johnson said.
If reducing the frequency of late-term abortions was the goal of the pro-life movement, wouldn't this mean supporting measures that reduce barriers to accessing reproductive health services earlier?
Which again i never claimed as regards providing justification for a position to those without.
For the record, "those without" also includes those who, like you, claim to have a "supreme standard" in Scripture, but who interpret its moral teachings differently.
Not overshadow, nor are simply their religious opinions the case, but that their other writings and application of the 1st Amendment enable proper understanding of what they meant.
Which is severely limiting because there are certain situations that they could not have foreseen. At the time the Constitution was written, what was the most powerful weapon on the planet? What about today? What did "arms" mean at that time? What does it mean today? The founders were men of the enlightenment — I don't think they would have wanted us to apply 18th century solutions to 21st century problems.
Oh yes, examples of, and affirmation and advocation for religion in general must be blithely dismissed as merely an effort to please their voting base. Why eve argue with such?
It certainly doesn't achieve much else apart from galvanising the religious and encouraging them to vote for "godly" candidates.
Again, the freedom of those in government to express general religious faith, as the very men who affirmed the Constitution did, must be disallowed due to its construance as religious privilege.
Those in government can express religious faith. And they often do! (Did you watch any of the GOP primary debates?) What isn't allowed, however, is using government to promote faith or to elevate a particular faith above others. A government official cannot endorse religion in an official capacity.
No, as there is nothing radically engineered contrary to basic traditional morality, unlike liberalism.
Adding the word "traditional" somehow alleviates it of the counter-accusation of social engineering? How so?
Again, appreciating the historical context in which they lived and their manifest understanding of the 1st Amendment enables us to rightly understand it.
More accurately, it enables us to understand it in their context. But we don't live in that context. We live in the 21st century, not the 18th.
The point is that commonality simply does not mean mere custom/meaningless superfluity.
Nor does it imply that special theological significance is being conveyed every time a common saying is uttered (Thursday, for example).
It means this is the trajectory, as explained.
Yes, and? Your complaint here seems to be that now you are likely to be criticised for your church's position on this or that issue. But that was always the case: it was always possible that you would receive criticism. The Constitution never immunised you from it. I suspect, however, that your deeper concern is that such criticism may actually be warranted, and that as more of your church members recognise this they will likely be inclined to leave.
Pretty weak. As if this was recent and characteristic, while as explained (sigh), this simply does not mean approval for the negative, any more than it means approval of Trump being what CNN headlines as one of the most "pro-LGBT" Republican presidential nominees ever.

Trump actually could have killed evangelicals in the past and still gotten their vote now. They had not viable alternative, and doing the best you can with what you have is entirely reasoanble and justified, and he does have good qualities as well as bad.
When someone shouts loudly about women's safety in bathrooms, but then votes for a man who proudly brags about groping women by the genitals, I think one could be forgiven for thinking that women's safety was not at all the priority they made it appear to be.
Van Jones versus Steve Bannon? Are you serious? Former Communist and "Rowdy Black Nationalist" Jones is such a deluded ranting neurotic that he makes "darkness is good" Steve Bannon look reasonable.
Yes, Jones, who apologised for his comments and resigned following a smear campaign against him, versus the unrepentant Bannon, who runs a far-right publication notorious for rousing sexism, anti-semitism, and white nationalist sentiment. There is really no comparison here.
You mean neurotic (sees racism in every closest) race-baiting hatemonger Van Jones? His unhinged rants and attacks on people based on the color of their skin ends up promoting racism, and racial strife, which liberal whites (CNN etc.) as well as black power brokers use to obtain an audience and power. Its culture, not the color skin that is the problem, and the inculcated hatred of a class of people based on the color of their skin, even while they chant of love, promotes racism, which is see on both side, but it politically correct when done by such as Jones.
Calling out racism is strangely considered "racist" by some.
And with that, i have decided to end this patient attempt at meaningful debate, which your prolonged unreasonable hateful bigotry frustrates. Time to get to other threads.
What "hateful bigotry" have I demonstrated throughout this exchange?

Upvote 0

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
When someone shouts loudly about women's safety in bathrooms, but then votes for a man who proudly brags about groping women by the genitals, I think one could be forgiven for thinking that women's safety was not at all the priority they made it appear to be.

Not to mention participated in excusing and normalizing the said bragging as a "normal guys locker room talk"**, which serves to excuse sexual violence and promote a culture of tolerance towards sexual violence.

** I have personally spent quite some time in locker rooms of various sports with guys who aren't exactly saints, and I can't recall one single occasion when someone would have been bragging about groping women without consent. Quite contrary, the more likely thing to hear in the locker rooms I have been in, is a guy bragging about physically assaulting men who do that to women.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟494,235.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You might not have, but Donald Trump did: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...uz-says-donald-trump-wrote-10-checks-hillary/

Given that Trump has already said that same-sex marriage is "settled" law, it doesn't currently look like he will go after prosecuting Hillary, and that when pressed on abortion, Trump said Planned Parenthood potentially did a lot of good things (and he previously mentioned being pro-choice), I think many Christians just got swindled.
You'd think after 30+ years of this sort of thing they'd start to catch on. But no, they keep voting against their economic best interests for anyone who pretends to care about abortion.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You'd think after 30+ years of this sort of thing they'd start to catch on. But no, they keep voting against their economic best interests for anyone who pretends to care about abortion.

Here is the deal though. Unemployment may have gotten a lot better over the last several years, but there are many people in the middle, that are earning less money today, than they were 10 years ago. To them, it was time for a change, based on their economic interests.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟494,235.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Here is the deal though. Unemployment may have gotten a lot better over the last several years, but there are many people in the middle, that are earning less money today, than they were 10 years ago. To them, it was time for a change, based on their economic interests.

Which part of Trump's proposed economic policy would help? Raising taxes for middle class workers? Allow big businesses to pollute at will? Starting trade wars with our major economic partners?

I'm not seeing Trump supporters explain exactly how his plan is going to help. I did see a lot of "Hillary murders babies", though.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Which part of Trump's proposed economic policy would help? Raising taxes for middle class workers? Allow big businesses to pollute at will? Starting trade wars with our major economic partners?

I'm not seeing Trump supporters explain exactly how his plan is going to help. I did see a lot of "Hillary murders babies", though.

I understand, but it comes down to this; people want change, when things have not gone as well as they would have liked. The last thing they want, when they are not satisfied, is another establishment elitist politician to take the reigns. This is also the reason Sanders got much more support than anyone anticipated he would, because he was the change candidate. Obama beat Clinton when he wasn't supposed to in 08, because he presented himself as the change candidate. Trump is the ultimate change candidate, because he isn't part of any establishment politics.

The number one concern in exit polls, was people wanted the candidate that could bring change. There is a reason for this and I believe the democrats were out of touch with the mainstream and completely missed how compelling this need for change was to people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I understand, but it comes down to this; people want change, when things have not gone as well as they would have liked. The last thing they want, when they are not satisfied, is another establishment elitist politician to take the reigns. This is also the reason Sanders got much more support than anyone anticipated he would, because he was the change candidate. Obama beat Clinton when he wasn't supposed to in 08, because he presented himself as the change candidate. Trump is the ultimate change candidate, because he isn't part of any establishment politics.

The number one concern in exit polls, was people wanted the candidate that could bring change. There is a reason for this and I believe the democrats were out of touch with the mainstream and completely missed how compelling this need for change was to people.
Obama also campaigned as a progressive. He didn't govern as one, IMO, but he campaigned as one. That too tells us something I think.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Obama also campaigned as a progressive. He didn't govern as one, IMO, but he campaigned as one. That too tells us something I think.

Yes, Obama was nowhere near the change guy he campaigned to be. With Trump, who knows. For most of his public life, he has had more views that have leaned left vs right.

Upvote 0

NorthernWarrior

Nov 29, 2016
Denmark
✟16,448.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The reason Evangelicals voted for Trump is pretty straightforward: Unlike Hillary, he isn't likely to continue Obama's policy of persecuting Christians.
And while Trump may not himself be a Christian, and Christians are called to endure persecution if it comes, they are also under no obligation to seek it out. The ECFs were actually quite adament about the opposite being the case: Do not seek out troubles, but stand fast if they do come.

Upvote 0

NorthernWarrior

Nov 29, 2016
Denmark
✟16,448.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Obama never persecuted Christians.

Yeah, sure. That's why his administration kept Arab Christians out of positions of influence, why his policies have consistently led to problems for Christians trying to go about their lives - going so far as to make them having to choose between their faith and their jobs/businesses.
Sure, he didn't. And the Moon is a giant lump of green cheese. Or, as in that episode of Dr. Who: A giant alien egg...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, sure. That's why his administration kept Arab Christians out of positions of influence, why his policies have consistently led to problems for Christians trying to go about their lives - going so far as to make them having to choose between their faith and their jobs/businesses.
Sure, he didn't. And the Moon is a giant lump of green cheese. Or, as in that episode of Dr. Who: A giant alien egg...
You may be confusing religious freedom for religious privilege.

Upvote 0

NorthernWarrior

Nov 29, 2016
Denmark
✟16,448.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
You may be confusing religious freedom for religious privilege.

Actually, no. Because religious freedom is also the freedom to...you know...PRACTISE YOUR RELIGION, and not just the "freedom" to think a few things to yourself. That kind of "freedom" also existed in the USSR.
Hey, apply this logic elsewhere, and you surely see the problem:

"Yeah, you totally have the freedom to be a homosexual...you just can't have relationships with people of the same sex, or show it in public".

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Actually, no. Because religious freedom is also the freedom to...you know...PRACTISE YOUR RELIGION, and not just the "freedom" to think a few things to yourself. That kind of "freedom" also existed in the USSR.
Hey, apply this logic elsewhere, and you surely see the problem:

"Yeah, you totally have the freedom to be a homosexual...you just can't have relationships with people of the same sex, or show it in public".
And you are free to practice your religion, within limits. You can't use your religion to deny other people their rights, for example.

Upvote 0

NorthernWarrior

Nov 29, 2016
Denmark
✟16,448.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
And you are free to practice your religion, within limits. You can't use your religion to deny other people their rights, for example.

Ah yes. A very convenient line of argument.
"You can think what you want inside your own head, but as soon as it has an impact on the way you live your live, then it's verboten, because the only ideology acceptable to follow is that of "social justice", capisce?"

Again: Religious freedom is also the freedom to say: "I will not sanction this act, as I consider it wrong."
No one should have a RIGHT to force others to violate their beliefs.

And yes, cue the inevitable "Muh Jim Crow. Muh blacks!"-examples that have been done to death and are no less silly for being repeated.

Reactions: Sif
Upvote 0