Which ethical issue do you break the rules on?

desi

Aug 20, 2003
La Vista
✟4,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everybody has an ethical or moral issue where they break the rules compared to other people. What is yours and how do you rationalize it?

One that comes to mind for me is I don't merge in construction zones until the last minute. Then somebody usually lets me in and I smile and wave at them. They think they helped someone out so they feel good about themselves and I avoid some traffic. Your turn.

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
Everybody has an ethical or moral issue where they break the rules compared to other people. What is yours and how do you rationalize it?

One that comes to mind for me is I don't merge in construction zones until the last minute. Then somebody usually lets me in and I smile and wave at them. They think they helped someone out so they feel good about themselves and I avoid some traffic. Your turn.

If I have an ethical issue that I am flimsy on, it is on getting too much road rage and making unsafe driving conditions for people who don't merge in a construction zone until the last minute. ;)

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Which ethical system am I supposed to refer to here? My own? The laws of my country? The 10CC?

Well, over here you are supposed to drive up to the construction zone and to not merge in until the last moment.

Anyway: I like your question. Mainly because I have always felt that the actual ethical issues we are struggeling with are minor ones (like traffic law transgressions) - while the discussion in E&M primarily is about murder, rape, genocide etc.
I´m sure this thread will confirm this notion.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I've done a number of things that aren't strictly in conformity with the rules. Mostly penny-ante stuff. Some examples:

Downloading music for free. (Like, who hasn't?)

Using my work computer for personal business.

Commingling some personal expenses with reimbursable business travel expenses (not in the last few years, though.)

But in terms of an ethical conflict, one of my biggest is that I've invested (and profited) in companies whose products or business practices I dislike. I've had stock in companies with major tobacco holdings. I'm currently invested in several drug firms, some of who's pricing policies may be iffy. I've also got shares in a major for-profit health insuror--which I think is not the model for health insurance reform in the future.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I do a lot of illegal downloading.

I feel a bit bad about some of this.

I also have told lies about my qualifications for a position before. I feel bad about that.

I have also done work under the table before, to avoid taxation, etc.

Upvote 0