• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Wheres my devil?

ryanafshar

Nov 6, 2023
Charlotte
✟2,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello my name is Ryan and I have schizoaffective disorder. In my 20's I frequented strip clubs and watched inappropriate content I was essentially lost. During those times I was hallucinating and delusional, the wages of sin I guess. Things are much better now for me because I'm born again, but I've been having a crisis of faith. I'm pretty good with Jesus but I've lost my evil training. The wages of sin are what got me, but I seem to have lost the devil and demons etc. I have seen a demon when I was young and in the mirror one time when I was in High School. I feel very uncomfortable, because I am having a hard time recognizing those things as evil. I'm feeling sick about it, twisted, hoodwinked. Is there a compassionate group of people here on this site that would work with me on understanding the good vs evil thing? I don't wanna believe God sent those demons after me. Thx!

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not 100% clear on your struggles but praise God you came to know Jesus. I will try and take a shot here. James 1:13 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;" Satan is God of this world, and you still have a sin nature waiting until Jesus returns or you die and go to heaven. Your spirit is saved and even sealed, so the part left is your mind. The bible says you need to renew it or basically get the word of God in it and hold it there through repetition, confessing the word, and using what God has given you to drive the devil out as much as possible. Demons can be left over, they can be just an illusion, or they can target a Christian for harassment and temptation. A lack of knowledge and/or sin can create issues for anyone. I would study on ways to discern the devil and ways to thwart his activities in your life. Given your mental state, you likely have some unique issues but for every situation God offers a way out, he is not going to save you to just leave you for demons. God is good and does good is a verse in Ps 119. Our minds try and trick us into not believing this. Try to resist, ask for help as you did here today and keep hope that God is going to work His will in you for a positive future and abundant life. Satan steals, kills and destroys but God gives life abundantly. This abundance is resisted though and in a sense we all have some struggles between good and evil. between flesh and spirit. As to a crisis of faith, I find that two things produce this almost universally. First, that people do not understand God's goodness and secondly that they are trying to win approval or salvation through works. If i could preach to you it would be that you salvation is far more secure than you realize. Quit focusing so much on your failures and rest in the Lord, renewing your mind and getting more assurance of God's love. Paul for example prayed in Ephesians for us to know God's love. (Eph 3:14).

Hope this helps, God bless

Upvote 0

ryanafshar

Nov 6, 2023
Charlotte
✟2,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not 100% clear on your struggles but praise God you came to know Jesus. I will try and take a shot here. James 1:13 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;" Satan is God of this world, and you still have a sin nature waiting until Jesus returns or you die and go to heaven. Your spirit is saved and even sealed, so the part left is your mind. The bible says you need to renew it or basically get the word of God in it and hold it there through repetition, confessing the word, and using what God has given you to drive the devil out as much as possible. Demons can be left over, they can be just an illusion, or they can target a Christian for harassment and temptation. A lack of knowledge and/or sin can create issues for anyone. I would study on ways to discern the devil and ways to thwart his activities in your life. Given your mental state, you likely have some unique issues but for every situation God offers a way out, he is not going to save you to just leave you for demons. God is good and does good is a verse in Ps 119. Our minds try and trick us into not believing this. Try to resist, ask for help as you did here today and keep hope that God is going to work His will in you for a positive future and abundant life. Satan steals, kills and destroys but God gives life abundantly. This abundance is resisted though and in a sense we all have some struggles between good and evil. between flesh and spirit. As to a crisis of faith, I find that two things produce this almost universally. First, that people do not understand God's goodness and secondly that they are trying to win approval or salvation through works. If i could preach to you it would be that you salvation is far more secure than you realize. Quit focusing so much on your failures and rest in the Lord, renewing your mind and getting more assurance of God's love. Paul for example prayed in Ephesians for us to know God's love. (Eph 3:14).

It does help and thank you very much for your reply!

Upvote 0

ryanafshar

Nov 6, 2023
Charlotte
✟2,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Richard I really appreciate the time you took to write this for me. It was nice of you and is helping to ease my mind. I'm gonna keep hope alive and try and resist the devil. I have to get back these evil forces through repetition and discernment. Thanks again

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Richard I really appreciate the time you took to write this for me. It was nice of you and is helping to ease my mind. I'm gonna keep hope alive and try and resist the devil. I have to get back these evil forces through repetition and discernment. Thanks again
Thanks for the notes. Yes, just keep on trying the best you can. Get help as you can find it in person, through books and through the Holy Spirit teaching you. Don't condemn yourself either. Your still a child of God with all the privileges and love of God. Jesus is a friend and he is only trying to help too. I pray too that you can turn the corner and see significant progress toward healing and restoration of your emotional and mental state. God bless!

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't wanna believe God sent those demons after me. Thx!
God offers a way out, he is not going to save you to just leave you for demons. God is good and does good is a verse in Ps 119. Our minds try and trick us into not believing this. Try to resist, ask for help as you did here today and keep hope that God is going to work His will in you for a positive future and abundant life.

Agreed - if I am mugged walking down a dark alleyway, it does not mean that God sent muggers after me; I stepped into their territory (knowingly or not, but more often than not, knowingly). Keep to the heavenly territories, physically, mentally (as much as you can, this too is a struggle for me), emotionally and spiritually. They are not only safer, they are where the healing can begin. Sometimes "Shepherd, take my hand" is the only prayer I can offer when I realize I've become lost in some dark thought. But He often does and leads me out of it, and for that I am grateful.

Reactions: Richard T
Upvote 0

ryanafshar

Nov 6, 2023
Charlotte
✟2,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed - if I am mugged walking down a dark alleyway, it does not mean that God sent muggers after me; I stepped into their territory (knowingly or not, but more often than not, knowingly). Keep to the heavenly territories, physically, mentally (as much as you can, this too is a struggle for me), emotionally and spiritually. They are not only safer, they are where the healing can begin. Sometimes "Shepherd, take my hand" is the only prayer I can offer when I realize I've become lost in some dark thought. But He often does and leads me out of it, and for that I am grateful.
Thx for this. I feel like I want to love God more. I hate the thought that He would hurt me or judge me. Thank You for sharing that you have had dark thoughts too.

Upvote 0

ryanafshar

Nov 6, 2023
Charlotte
✟2,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Petros! I used "Sheperd take my hand" all day today and felt refreshed. Its nice to know I'm not the only one who has had a dark thought. They are scary.

• Friendly
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I take dark thoughts captive as in 2Cor 10:3-5 . Keeps them flowing so one doesn’t ‘haunt’ you. Puts them in jail where they can do no harm. And then just carry on. Pray about it if you want it and let the Holy Spirit help you.

Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0