Louisiana
✟7,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a NKJV bible and I don't know where a good place is to start reading. (I am looking for an easier to read bible...reply to my other post if you can assist me :)) I want to know about who Jesus was and what he did. Can you recommend me a good chapter to start with? Thank you.

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Definately start in the New Testament which represents God completed covenant with mankind. Personally, I would say start with the book of John, the fourth gospel, recording the life of Jesus as being deity - God come to mankind in the flesh.
There are several New Translations of the Bible that put it into modern terms, but some are not as accurate either. The NASB (New American Standard Bible) would be most accurate, but I've gotten quite fond of the NLT (New Living Translation). The King James Version is my favorite to memorize, as the Old English and poetic style just seems to stick with me, and it is sometimes very beautiful when read.
All can be viewed at the BlueletterBible.com web site.
God bless you richly as you seek Him and His Word....

http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/tools/printer-friendly.pl?book=Jhn&chapter=1&version=nltp&Go.x=20&Go.y=13

Upvote 0

tamtam92

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
✟9,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree that you should begin with the new testament, firstly the gospels -John is good, but Luke too...
Then you can read Genesis quite soon, because it helps to understand what's said in the new testament. In fact Old and New Testament are complementary.

You should also read Isaiah, especially chapter 53. It is a clear prophesy about Jesus. Read it after you've read at least one Gospel (or at the end of your reading one) for a better understanding.

Upvote 0

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
silk said:
I have a NKJV bible and I don't know where a good place is to start reading. (I am looking for an easier to read bible...reply to my other post if you can assist me :)) I want to know about who Jesus was and what he did. Can you recommend me a good chapter to start with? Thank you.

Definitely the red-lettered New American Standard.

Females attach to the gospel of John, so if you are a female I recommend to start there first. Then read Matthew,Mark, and Luke.

Upvote 0

St. Worm2

May 15, 2004
✟9,271.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Start by reading the Gospel of John. For easier reading, use the NIV (New International Version). A "Study Bible" can be helpful, like the NIV Study Bible for instance. Or in New King James, you can get the MacArthur Study Bible (which I have found to be the best of them all ... but it doesn't come in NIV, sadly).

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - the NASB (New American Standard Bible) is my principle translation, but NIV is best when you are just getting started.

Upvote 0

onajourney87

Contributor
Oct 28, 2003
✟13,963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm going to offer a slightly different suggestion than the others.

I suggest you start by reading the first three chapters of Genesis. The reason being the first three chapters of Genesis basically state how we got to where we are now(that is, from the Creation of a perfect world free of sin, to an imperfect world full of sin).
The first three chapters of Genesis will lay a nice, solid foundation for understanding Jesus' purpose for coming to earth.

Once you've done that, then I'd suggest you start on the New Testament Gospels. You have four to choose from. Mark(as previously mentioned) being the shortest. I perticularly suggest you start with John, as it was written to the Greeks specifically. Greek culture is much more similar to modern culture than the other cultures the other three Gospels were written to(Matthew was written to the Jews, Mark for the Romans, and Luke for the Greeks as well). On top of that, John's main goal in writing the Gospel of John is to establish Jesus Christ of Nazareth's diety; to establish than Jesus Christ is the God.

You may find this overview of the main differences between the Gospels useful:
http://www.christiancourier.com/archives/fourGospels.htm

osm

Upvote 0
A

adthrash

The gospel of John is a great place to start. If your bible has Jesus' teachings and words written in red that helps too. I think you will like the NKVJ. I have that one and The Amplified version. A lot of people don't like that bible because they think it's too "wordy", but if you're like me..I like the fact that it's kind of like a dictionary, or a thesaurus--it gives several different words or phrases that mean the same thing but help you understand the context of the scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read Mark out loud. Mark is the closest to the oral tradition. The pace is fast and furious, and the language is pretty rough--just like a bunch of stories told out loud. When I read Mark, I really get the feeling of people sitting around a campfire telling Jesus stories.

My current favorite translation for just reading is the New English Bible (not so new anymore!). It is a pretty good translation, but the best thing is that it has the verse numbers in the margins, not the text. It is not a particularly popular version in the US.

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
silk said:
depends .... are you born again ?
if no , first place to go is Romans 10.8-9 read aloud , give God your heart

are you spirit filled ? , if no go to Acts 19.5 ask for the gift of the father
the Holy Spirit that you might walk out what you confessed in Romans 10.8-9

do you have a home church , with a midweek service & or teaching classes ?
bible study , outreach - jail , shutins , food pantry ... might speak to
a older / wiser believer to assist , answer questions

then the gospel of John 3.16 sacrifice
Matthew 18.15-21 ... forgiveness
Ephesians 6.10-17 ... know the enemy
Mark 11.23-4 & 1 John 5.14-18 speak and believe
Genesis 50.20 ; Romans 8.28to 37 - hope

standard answer given a new believer is :
1 Gospel of John
then the other gospels gospels the milk of the word ... who Jesus is
epistles -- the meat of the word , our jobs , our commission
revelation -- the times a coming ....
then old testament -- back in the day , Jesus is coming

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The NKJV is a fine translation. It is accurate and reads very well. It stands in a wonderful, elegant tradition of the King James Version.

Where to start? This depends on your situation. I see by your icon that you are a Budhist. Therefore, I would suggest reading the entire book of Romans. You will not find a more thorough summation and description of Christian doctrine and the way of salvation that this book.

I notice that several people have suggested the gospel of John. This is also very good but I stand with my recommendation.

Read one then the other if you like. Post any questions you have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chris Green

Jun 26, 2003
Birmingham, England
Visit site
✟9,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
St. Worm2 said:
Start by reading the Gospel of John. For easier reading, use the NIV (New International Version). A "Study Bible" can be helpful, like the NIV Study Bible for instance. Or in New King James, you can get the MacArthur Study Bible (which I have found to be the best of them all ... but it doesn't come in NIV, sadly).

This is also where i started.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.