Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
the study of words and the words around those words that gave these words their meaning ...

That is a dangerous place to be. Bible translators are a highly specialized group that often don't agree, since the difference between the ancient languages and modern languages is vast. I rely primarily on translators' notes; I prefer the NET Bible, v. 2.1, that has over 60,000(!) translators' notes.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
For you and some others maybe.

For me, just reading it it began to reveal itself to me. I am just not a studier, just ask my school teachers. They'll tell you...lol.

I get more out of just reading than trying to study things. Studying things causes a jumble of things in my mind. I have found that just reading it allows me to retain things much easier and understand it much easier.

I am an avid reader and being an avid reader allows you to learn many words and their meanings just because of reading them.

Remember, everyone learns differently.

And remember that the people that received God's word in the time the Bible books were written were almost entirely illiterate. They heard the message once, orally. They didn't sit down the way we do and individually study the Bible on their own.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello;

Bibles can be purchased at any well-stocked book store like Barnes & Noble.

Christian supply stores are another source and can be found listed in the Yellow Pages along with regular types of book stores.

Thrift stores like Good Will and Salvation Army usually have some inexpensive, second hand Bibles on their shelves.

Please do yourself a favor by using one that reads very close to our own modern way of speaking. Rickety old antiques like the Douay-Rheims, the Confraternity, the American Standard Version, and the King James version are no longer practical because their language and grammar are obsolete.

Select a contemporary version in common use like the New International (NIV), New American Bible (NAB), Revised Standard (RSV), the New American Standard (NAS), the English Standard (ESV) and/or the New Living (NLT).

I should give you a heads-up that no matter which version of the Bible you read, somebody is going to come along and criticize your choice; so be ready for that.

The Bible can be a tedious bore for people new to it; so I highly recommend testing the waters by beginning with the books of Ruth and Esther. The stories are pretty good, relatively short, and don't require a seminary degree to understand.

If those two books fail to discourage you, then I suggest moving on to Genesis for your third. Lots of really good stuff is in there: the origin of the cosmos-- all life, matter, and energy --Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Noah and the Flood, the Tower of Babel, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Rebecca, Jacob, Rachel, and Joseph's reunion with his brothers.

When my son first started reading Genesis, he became very discouraged. When I asked him what the matter was, he told me couldn’t figure out the hidden messages. So I told him: Son, forget about hidden messages. Just read the Bible like a novel or an encyclopedia and you’ll get a lot more out of it that way; and he did.

NOTE: I didn't start this thread to advise students. The information in this post is intended for the mildly curious rather than the deadly serious.

Buen Camino
(Pleasant Journey)
As the Old Testament can be more tedious and confusing in places, I recommend just starting with the NT first, at least the gospels and Acts. Some people say that Mark is the easiest to begin with. Otherwise the first couple of chapters of Genesis for some kind of background; the rest can come later.

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unortunately that usually leads to the reader getting bogged down somewhere in Levitcus, deciding that it's all pretty much impenetrable, and laying it aside. And just when a few months more slogging through the OT they might have reached the part upon which our faith is based - the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Or they could start with the part where God Himself intervenes directly in human history.

Depends on the book. You don't start reading with the first volume of A History of the English Speaking Peoples if you need to find out how the US elects a president. You go to a history of the US.

New Christians or those simply interested in the Christan Faith should begin with the Gospels and then the rest of the New Testament. The OT is of no real value to them until they understand what Christians believe. Once they're checked out on the New Testament, then, and only then, should they begin reading the OT.

I think ithis really depends on the person. When I became a Christian I dived straight into the Gospel of John, Genesis...and Revelation. Revelation terrified me lol. But I also read in particular, Isaiah. A lot of people say to start off with Mark, but I found for myself that John 'spoke' to me more. Other people would probably feel happier beginning with other parts of the Bible. I would say, whatever grabs their best attention is good.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is a dangerous place to be. Bible translators are a highly specialized group that often don't agree, since the difference between the ancient languages and modern languages is vast. I rely primarily on translators' notes; I prefer the NET Bible, v. 2.1, that has over 60,000(!) translators' notes.

as i said and i quote " its not until i began to study it by word that it began to reveal itself to me"

now i can see the whole book in one word .....

Upvote 0

David Hunter

Be passionate about pursuing your purpose in life.
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟336,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So true what you said about the Bible translation you read someone will criticize. I also recommend for someone new to test the waters by some verses/chapters in different translations and see what fits. Also, the best Bible translation is the one you're going to read!! Because if you're not going to read it then it doesn't matter what translation you have.

Also, John always seems to be a good book for newbies to get started in. :)

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like that analogy. I've also heard it described as a hologram (link below), having designed resistence to hostile jamming and other countermeasures - tear a page out, and you don't lose the message (maybe less sharp but still there in other places). I am no expert on holograms, but if true, the most intriguing part: "When one examines a hologram in natural (uncollimated, noncoherent) light, it has no apparent form nor attractiveness. However, when one examines it with the laser with which it was formulated, a three-dimensional image appears. When one examines the Bible in unaided, natural light, it 'has no form nor comeliness that we should desire it.' But when we examine it illuminated by the Light that created it, the Spirit of God that put it all together in the first place, we see an image: the image of the One that every detail in it illuminates, the promised Messiah Himself."

Our Holographic Bible: System Design of the Scriptures?: – Chuck Missler – Koinonia House

the 66 books are a narrative about our souls journey ... a casting out ... point of reference (cross) ... and a gathering back in .... or you could also say it is a narrative of two sons that become one son ...

once you start to see the pattern it just keeps growing ... truth forever expanding whilst remaining the same ... the books are written in a spiritual language ... a language without measure ... the only measure to it is the measure we bring to it ...

• Informative
Reactions: venksta
Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the only measure to it is the measure we bring to it ...

That may be true. Peter speaks of a dual approach to scripture when he says to the one, he is a stone of stumbling and rock of offense but to the other the chief cornerstone, elect and precious (1 Peter 2). Then within the believing community, so many ways of reading it (or into it). I suppose in that way, it's truly a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12) - the "measure we bring to it".

Upvote 0

Micaiah-Imla

Aug 11, 2020
North East
✟21,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 19
7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. 8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.

Jeremiah 6
16 Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

Matthew 4:4
It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Ephesians 6
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God

Start anywhere in the scripture: but start, and keep reading until the end.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Rickety old antiques like the Douay-Rheims, the Confraternity, the American Standard Version, and the King James version are no longer practical because their language and grammar are obsolete
Speak for yourself. There are many people who are well-read enough to find them perfectly understandable and of a more refined voice. I find that a number of modern are clunky and awkward.

Where to start? I usually suggest the first couple of chapters of Romans.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hello;

Christian supply stores are another source and can be found listed in the Yellow Pages along with regular types of book stores.

Thrift stores like Good Will and Salvation Army usually have some inexpensive, second hand Bibles on their shelves.

Please do yourself a favor by using one that reads very close to our own modern way of speaking. Rickety old antiques like the Douay-Rheims, the Confraternity, the American Standard Version, and the King James version are no longer practical because their language and grammar are obsolete.

Select a contemporary version in common use like the New International (NIV), New American Bible (NAB), Revised Standard (RSV), the New American Standard (NAS), the English Standard (ESV) and/or the New Living (NLT).

I should give you a heads-up that no matter which version of the Bible you read, somebody is going to come along and criticize your choice; so be ready for that.

The Bible can be a tedious bore for people new to it; so I highly recommend testing the waters by beginning with the books of Ruth and Esther. The stories are pretty good, relatively short, and don't require a seminary degree to understand.

If those two books fail to discourage you, then I suggest moving on to Genesis for your third. Lots of really good stuff is in there: the origin of the cosmos-- all life, matter, and energy --Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Noah and the Flood, the Tower of Babel, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Rebecca, Jacob, Rachel, and Joseph's reunion with his brothers.

When my son first started reading Genesis, he became very discouraged. When I asked him what the matter was, he told me couldn’t figure out the hidden messages. So I told him: Son, forget about hidden messages. Just read the Bible like a novel or an encyclopedia and you’ll get a lot more out of it that way; and he did.

NOTE: I didn't start this thread to advise students. The information in this post is intended for the mildly curious rather than the deadly serious.

Buen Camino
(Pleasant Journey)

Thanks, this post made me want to read the Bible!

Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have always been a big fan of the book of Acts. It works well as a story and if you get a Bible that has study notes or like to look stuff up online you can branch out from there. The most important advice I give people is when you read a passage try to figure why the person did what they did. The people in that book bet their life on what they experienced of Jesus.

Reactions: Arbuthnott
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Speak for yourself. There are many people who are well-read enough to find them perfectly understandable and of a more refined voice. I find that a number of modern are clunky and awkward.

Where to start? I usually suggest the first couple of chapters of Romans.

I DO NOT recommend the King James Version as your first Bible. Nobody will find it as understandable -- which is what God intends -- as the English that we speak, hear, and understand every day of our lives. Pick up a Bible, start reading, and see if it is clear and understandable to you. If it is, buy it. If not, pick up another translation.

At biblegateway.com you can read the Bible text in many different versions -- no cost or obligation!

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello;

Buen Camino
(Pleasant Journey)

Reminds me of that series of sermons by Andy Stanley. The opening jingle is particularly memorable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello;

Buen Camino
(Pleasant Journey)
I recommend to get an audio bible if you're new to reading it.

Getting a sense of all of the stories and sayings in context of one another is way easier since more ground is covered quicker in audio format. Also originally, the word was meant to be heard.

In terms of a good starting point, I'd recommend to read the first three gospels first, a lot of the core Christian teachings are left out of the Gospel of John (a common recommended starting point) as it is assumed you already know the content of the first three gospels before reading the fourth.

Upvote 0

Arbuthnott

Oct 4, 2020
Kentucky
✟15,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
  • Pick a comfortable place to read your Bible.
  • Hold your Bible in your hand, tracing some of the words and verses with your finger.
  • Place the palm of your hand on your Bible.
  • Carry the Bible as you go here and there.
  • Let your friends and relatives see you reading the Bible.
  • When asked why you are reading your Bible -- have a ready answer available -- such as "get close to God" or "feel God at work in my life."
  • Stick with it -- return to it -- follow it -- apply the Bible to your life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0