Where in the Bible does it talk about the importance of marriage?

Total Release

Senior Veteran
Nov 24, 2004
Heaven
✟12,399.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm starting to worry about a good friend of mine. Ever since I told him that my girlfriend and I were going to be getting married in April, all he does is try and convince me how a big of a mistake I'm making. This guy is actually a good Christian man other than one thing...he uses women like crazy. No matter how hard I try to convince him that marriage is a good thing and is what God wants for us, he still tells me that there is no need for marriage. He sleeps with a lot of women but he does not believe it is wrong at all. He is just so convinced that marriage is evil. It doesn't make sense to me because this guy grew up in a loving family with his mom and his dad and he's never even been married himself. He already has a 2yr old son with a woman that he now despises and he has another on the way with another one of his one night stands. I've been friends with this guy my whole life, went to church with him for years, and I'm really worried that he's going to end up just completely throwing his life away. I know there are many verses in the Bible that talk about marriage and also promiscuous sex, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find them. I'm sure somebody here knows some relevant ones??? Thank you and God Bless!
P.S. Please pray for him...his name is Rich

GirlieGirl

Jesus
Feb 1, 2004
✟16,452.00
Faith
Christian
Total Release said:
This guy is actually a good Christian man other than one thing...he uses women like crazy.

No, Rich is not a good Christian man. Knocking up women carelessly definitely puts him out of that category - not that anyone is good but this definitely is a far cry from it.

Genesis is a good place to look for how much God values marriage. The first human relationship that existed was a marriage. They weren't buddies or fellow laborers. They were a married couple. You might point out that God intended Rich to marry and make love to a single woman because as a single man, he's left to walk without a helpmate. Adam needed it and Rich doesn't look any different.

Yes, I will pray for Rich.

Upvote 0

2lplvr

Nov 21, 2004
NC
✟1,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Below are a few verses to get you started. Just do a search for adultery or fornication and you will find lots of references.

Genesis 2
But for Adam no suitable helper was found. 21 So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. 23 The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called woman, for she was taken out of man."

24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

Exodus 20:14

14 "You shall not commit adultery.

Proverbs 6:32

But a man who commits adultery lacks judgment; whoever does so destroys himself.

Ephesians 5:33However, each one of you also must love hiswife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Upvote 0

Emma!

Veteran
Nov 3, 2003
✟9,482.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
use this site to look up the verses....just put the word you are after in:
http://www.biblegateway.com/

To be honest i think that he would know that it is wrong or he is very deceieved....he is prob. just making excuses for his actions. All you can do is to pray for him.....i will too..... God will have to convict him of this.

Be careful you dont get hooked up into the same deceit that he has...marriage is such a blessing i wouldnt have it any other way.

Congrats by the way!! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

charligirl

Senior Veteran
Aug 26, 2003
London
✟17,471.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The whole bible speaks of marriage, from Adam and Eve in Genesis, to the Bridegroom coming for His bride, the church, in Revelation. You can't get away from it, God has interwoven it throughout scripture.

Marriage between a man and women should be a reflection of the intimacy and love the God has for His people.

I'm with Emma, this guy is either being very deceived, or he is trying to find excuses. Either way he cannot be called a good christian man and needs a huge revelation of God. I will pray.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Actually the scripture is quite clear about this. First Corinthians chapter five. Espeacially verses 9-13. You are to break off your relationship with Rich. Have nothing to do with him, period.

The distinction is that he is doing his sexual immorality in the name of Christ. make no mistake, this is not a sincere misunderstanding on his part. You are not to try to instruct him. You are to disfellowship him.

I hope you will follow this advice which I know is not easy. Because he will continue to mess with your head and not change because of any verses which you give him. He needs to know that he is not following Christ. He is playing a head game with you the same way he plays head games with women. It is up to you how long you allow that game to continue.

Upvote 0

charligirl

Senior Veteran
Aug 26, 2003
London
✟17,471.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yitzchak said:
Actually the scripture is quite clear about this. First Corinthians chapter five. Espeacially verses 9-13. You are to break off your relationship with Rich. Have nothing to do with him, period.

The distinction is that he is doing his sexual immorality in the name of Christ. make no mistake, this is not a sincere misunderstanding on his part. You are not to try to instruct him. You are to disfellowship him.

I hope you will follow this advice which I know is not easy. Because he will continue to mess with your head and not change because of any verses which you give him. He needs to know that he is not following Christ. He is playing a head game with you the same way he plays head games with women. It is up to you how long you allow that game to continue.
*nodding* explain it to him, show him scripture and do it with another person present. If he does not see the error of his ways then the bible is clear. You can still pray for him but not fellowship.

The bible seems harsh in this instance but if you really undertsand the importance of the body and of unity it makes sense. Allowing a gangrenous part of the body, even something as small as a toe, to keep leaking poison into the rest of a body would be foolish... a doctor would try medicine.. if that didn't work they cut it off.

This is instruction from the bible for the protection of us as individuals and body as a whole. It only applies when the person is a professing christian who is flagrantly sinning and refuses to repent even when confronted with scripture.

Very often it is this act of severing ties that eventually brings them to a place of repentance, I have seen it happen a number of times.

Upvote 0

Busybee

As For Me And My House We Will Serve The Lord
Aug 17, 2004
TN
Visit site
✟2,281.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm in complete agreement with Yitzchak and Charligirl's statements.

*nodding* explain it to him, show him scripture and do it with another person present. If he does not see the error of his ways then the bible is clear. You can still pray for him but not fellowship.
:amen: Also what will Rich do to your relationship once you do get married? Will he try to get you to do things that will cause divorce or hardship in your marriage. Certainly pray for him but please consider Matthew 18:15-17 for yourself since it sounds like your friend is trying to lead you astray.

Upvote 0

Total Release

Senior Veteran
Nov 24, 2004
Heaven
✟12,399.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First of all, thank you all for your comments and prayers for Rich. Don't worry, he could NEVER change my mind about marriage. I know what's good and right and that's why I try to help him see what's good and right. He could never lead me astray because I'm not that type of person. I'm not going to stop being friends with him, though. This is the time that he needs me the most. I'm not going to give up on him. I know you all say he couldn't possibly be a good person if he does this, but he IS a good person other than this weak point in him. He lives a good clean life other than this one thing, is constantly giving to the community and the church, loves his family with all his heart and although he is not with the mother of his son he provides for them and always spends quality time with Ryan (his son). None of us are perfect. I know Rich can change. All he needs is prayer for God to open his eyes and see the truth about his whole situation with women. Again, I appreciate the comments and prayers. Merry Christmas and God Bless.

Reactions: Yitzchak
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Here's some passages to really meditate on:

Eph 5:25-33:
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church– for we are members of his body. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” This is a profound mystery–but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Gen 2:24 - For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

This is how Christ wants us to understand marriage: As a sacrifice of oneself. It's self-giving love, just like Christ's sacrifice for his bride, the Church.

-Jason

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Total Release said:
First of all, thank you all for your comments and prayers for Rich. Don't worry, he could NEVER change my mind about marriage. I know what's good and right and that's why I try to help him see what's good and right. He could never lead me astray because I'm not that type of person. I'm not going to stop being friends with him, though. This is the time that he needs me the most. I'm not going to give up on him. I know you all say he couldn't possibly be a good person if he does this, but he IS a good person other than this weak point in him. He lives a good clean life other than this one thing, is constantly giving to the community and the church, loves his family with all his heart and although he is not with the mother of his son he provides for them and always spends quality time with Ryan (his son). None of us are perfect. I know Rich can change. All he needs is prayer for God to open his eyes and see the truth about his whole situation with women. Again, I appreciate the comments and prayers. Merry Christmas and God Bless.
You're welcome. I will continue praying for Rich and for your situation. I hope that you have a great Christmas also.

Upvote 0