Apr 30, 2013
✟8,576.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How exactly do you cope with this feeling? Expecially when everyone around you seems better in anything and everything than you.

I have a tendency to let things like this get to me and really ruin a good day. I know we're supposed to cast all our troubles on God, but I feel immature when I bring this to him; like I'm whining or something like that.

Anyone else been here?

opengate07

Oct 9, 2011
✟8,411.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We couldn't draw a breath if it wasn't for Him. We are not even promised tomorrow, so if we should thank Him for our health so than why is it wrong to turn to Him in times of distress. You are not alone I have been there more than once and when I get that low there is only ONE place to turn and that is to the one who loves us unconditionally.

Upvote 0

manitouscott

Oct 20, 2012
Colorado
✟8,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I do, and I think everyone gets to that place. It is one of the enemy's favorite ways to get our focus off of God and others, by placing our focus squarely on ourselves. For some people this manifests as egotism, for others, insecurity and self loathing.

IMHO The cure; pray for God to free you from self, then go do something completely out of self, even if it means walking into the corner store and paying for someone's coffee, or smiling at someone who doesn't expect it, or talking to someone who is lonely, or asking a stranger if you can pray for them, whatever. Get out of self.

Upvote 0

SoapnWater

Mar 24, 2013
✟15,182.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Well Slenderman, sounds depressing. Revelations 4:11 "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." Things arent always about discovery and advancement. We have an omnipotent God. Get good pay, enjoy the fruit of your labor, and be happy. Thats what God is calling us to do. Its a trick. Take Pleasure in everything you do. Go rub a rub a dub in the tub. We are supposed to enjoy every second of this planet. You're eyes are just darkened by satan, its an ecstatic World.

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We all have different spiritual gifts. Pray that the Lord may reveal his special purpose in you. Spiritual gifts are always geared towards spreading the gospel but they're always different in us all. How do you most successfully spread the gospel? Your gift will speak to you in the Holy Spirit

What you find attractive about other people God may not.

God choose David over the others everyone else, with our human minds thought more worthy. The people you may look up to or think is better than you. God may not.

God loves the humble.

Luke 14:1, 7-14
1 One sabbath when he went to dine at the house of a ruler who belonged to the Pharisees, they were watching him. 7 Now he told a parable to those who were invited, when he marked how they chose the places of honor, saying to them, 8 "When you are invited by any one to a marriage feast, do not sit down in a place of honor, lest a more eminent man than you be invited by him; 9 and he who invited you both will come and say to you, `Give place to this man,' and then you will begin with shame to take the lowest place. 10 But when you are invited, go and sit in the lowest place, so that when your host comes he may say to you, `Friend, go up higher'; then you will be honored in the presence of all who sit at table with you. 11 For every one who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." 12 He said also to the man who had invited him, "When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your kinsmen or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return, and you be repaid. 13 But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, 14 and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just."

Upvote 0
F

fuji

How exactly do you cope with this feeling? Expecially when everyone around you seems better in anything and everything than you.

I have a tendency to let things like this get to me and really ruin a good day. I know we're supposed to cast all our troubles on God, but I feel immature when I bring this to him; like I'm whining or something like that.

Anyone else been here?

I have comfort in knowing most people feel like you do, I still think like this sometimes too.

[youtube]zztV7Pc1ss4[/youtube]

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
First things first...

You quit talking about it.
If you say you believe in God for something, then you dont say things contrary to what you believe. Dont be afraid to go to God with anything. He is the only One who can NEVER judge you for that. Always gonna be safe with Him

Hey you can ask God to give you an idea where to park at the shopping mall. Thats how close He wants to be with us. He wants to be involved with the smallest details of our lives
Anyone who says contrary is deceiving you.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Society values strengths with different levels. People get paid a vastly different amount for one skill, vs. another. Then they use that standard to compete and berate.

One person is a doctor, another a lawyer... but some are great listeners, insightful, imaginative and have no channel that justifies and deems it valuable. Marketable.

Are you kicking yourself because your strengths are in this undefined, low-reward zone?

Maybe it would be worth spending some time researching how your strengths could be used more tangibly, profitably, respectably.

Look at the field of art therapy, for example. It takes a person with patience, quiet, concern for people, knack for communication, some skill in representational drawing. Each of those tendencies might be deemed low when it comes to worldly values. But all of them together can add up to a viable career, where agencies support how it treats people with real needs.

The traits in you become valuable in this world, when channeled into an area that someone will pay money for them. Your ability or value does not change, but the respect you are given by others does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Get people on your turf. If you are watching people run marathons and throw javelins, hang gliding and free-skiing, but you are better at poetry, then take them to something you're good at -- a songwriting workshop, a jam session, a public art "happening," an urban exploring venture.

You might like to stay humble, or private with what you're good at. But throw them a couple treats once in a while to let them know who you are, and what you're good at. Then they will know enough. Everyone's good at something.

I tend to keep quiet about my activities bc I don't like people intruding. I was telling someone I've known for years about something I was involved in, and they asked, "How did you get to do that?" as though they were skeptical I was capable. They really had no idea what I've been doing all along -- they assumed instead of asking. People like to own a block of information and pigeonhole what they think their friends are.

Similarly to dressing for success, it turns out valuable to feed people a little information every once in a while, so they can be proud of you -- or proud of knowing you. You don't need to be an annoying braggart to let people in on your world.

Blog. Create a world that's yours.

Upvote 0