Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
After a lot of digging we found the most ancient way (pun intended) to find when was Jesus born.

Of course, I do not dogmatize - if someone else has other proofs / sources feel free to share.
29th of September, 4 BC. Give or take. My sources? An educated guess.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi john,

For me, I don't believe the Scriptures give us any clear understanding as to exactly when Jesus was born. I'm not particularly influenced that it makes any difference, although it's a topic that certainly can be discussed. The enjoyment and celebration of the day that is honored as Christmas has only to do with the heart of the person sharing it. For me, I give thanks to God that He has allowed us this day to truly reflect on the final consummation of His great plan of our salvation.

Just as we celebrate and remember the death of Jesus on a day that likely wasn't the exact day of the year every year, it does allow believers a day in which they can give heartfelt thanks to God and His Son and Spirit for the working out of God's finished plan, as Jesus said.

So for me, I try not to get too involved in whether or not we celebrate either of these special days on the exact same day of the year that it might have happened in days past. I don't think that's what God asks of us. Paul wrote that we should not consider one day better than another, and while I enjoy the celebration and time of reflecting that these days allow, Christmas and Easter are just two other days of the year. But, they are days that are special to a born again believer in a different way than they are to the rest of the world. So I don't condemn the honoring of the days, so long as they are celebrated for the proper purpose in the believer's heart.

That's my 2¢ worth.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟435,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
January 7th. Unless you're Armenian, then January 6th. Unless you're Western, then December 25th. To quote my Palestinian friend Fred (when I was still RC) "Your Jesus is just a little older than ours." :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
After a lot of digging we found the most ancient way (pun intended) to find when was Jesus born.

Of course, I do not dogmatize - if someone else has other proofs / sources feel free to share.
Always good to go back to very early sources. Thank you for the info.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟139,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
January 7th. Unless you're Armenian, then January 6th. Unless you're Western, then December 25th. To quote my Palestinian friend Fred (when I was still RC) "Your Jesus is just a little older than ours." :)
Or if you're Armenian in Jerusalem, it's either January 16th or 17th ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Theres that little group of Appalachian snake handlers who celebrate it on Jan 5.

Upvote 0