When was hell created?

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I understand and thank you for your link. However, I wanted to find when and not why hell was created.
I think that site gave you the answer.... nobody but God knows when it was created.
It is possible that the war between Satan/Lucifer/the Devil and the fallen angels/demons took place outside of our time such that we can't relate it to our timeline but the timeline in heaven itself which may have existed prior to our universe.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟145,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Does anyone know when hell was created? Bible reference would be fantastic if you don't mind :) Tyvm!

"Darkness was upon the face of the deep." in the first verse of Genesis; seems to indicate that hell was created as part of the structure of the current universe. Death and hell are cast into the lake of fire at the end of time. Thus hell is a temporal location of holding for those who will eventually face God's wrath for their sin.

Genesis 1:1 states "In the beginning God.... (did something)" Which by implication of the structure of the verse means that before "the beginning" nothing existed but God. So according to Scripture, there is no "time line" outside of ours. Anything outside of our "time line" is in "eternity". The only thing that existed in eternity before there was a beginning was God. So thus by reason; we can say that hell did not predate anything else that was created.

Last edited:
Reactions: 66 Books
Upvote 0

66 Books

Oct 6, 2019
New castle
✟18,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that site gave you the answer.... nobody but God knows when it was created.
It is possible that the war between Satan/Lucifer/the Devil and the fallen angels/demons took place outside of our time such that we can't relate it to our timeline but the timeline in heaven itself which may have existed prior to our universe.
I do believe Heaven was created before us as it is also traditionally believed that Satan and his angels fell before Adam was created. And the Scriptures also say, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." I understand that we do not know precisely when the place hell was created from your perspective yes?

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
The only thing that existed in eternity before there was a beginning was God. So thus by reason; we can say that hell did not predate anything else that was created.
Or by reason we could say that God created another dimension in this universe that isn't subject to time but it related to where he always existed in eternity something halfway between that can be created but is also always there too. As we can only fathom time as having a start and finish we already know time in heaven is different than time on earth as the Bible equates 1000 days here as a day in heaven itself.
We try to relate things by the laws of our created universe and God may have created another universe that has a lot different laws that heaven and hell exist in.

Upvote 0

66 Books

Oct 6, 2019
New castle
✟18,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Darkness was upon the face of the deep." in the first verse of Genesis; seems to indicate that hell was created as part of the structure of the current universe. Death and hell are cast into the lake of fire at the end of time. Thus hell is a temporal location of holding for those who will eventually face God's wrath for their sin.

Genesis 1:1 states "In the beginning God.... (did something)" Which by implication of the structure of the verse means that before "the beginning" nothing existed but God. So according to Scripture, there is no "time line" outside of ours. Anything outside of our "time line" is in "eternity". The only thing that existed in eternity before there was a beginning was God. So thus by reason; we can say that hell did not predate anything else that was created.

The "darkness was upon the face of the deep" is questionable to me because God created light out of it. Or in its place." I agree with you that in the beginning God is and there was nothing before Him. And also agree with you that death and hell will be cast into the lake of fire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
Does anyone know when hell was created? Bible reference would be fantastic if you don't mind :) Tyvm!
I understand if you feel frustrated. You ask a simple question and no one gives you a simple answer. Life really ain’t that hard.

• Haha
Reactions: 66 Books
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟145,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Or by reason we could say that God created another dimension in this universe that isn't subject to time but it related to where he always existed in eternity something halfway between that can be created but is also always there too. As we can only fathom time as having a start and finish we already know time in heaven is different than time on earth as the Bible equates 1000 days here as a day in heaven itself.
We try to relate things by the laws of our created universe and God may have created another universe that has a lot different laws that heaven and hell exist in.

I would agree with you in "dimension where God exists", as having a differing time qualifier; but because "hell" is a space created for entities who do not bear any of the attributes of God, it would not have that same time qualifier.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟145,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The "darkness was upon the face of the deep" is questionable to me because God created light out of it. Or in its place." I agree with you that in the beginning God is and there was nothing before Him. And also agree with you that death and hell will be cast into the lake of fire.

God didn't create light out of the darkness; He commanded the darkness to stop oppressing the light. I believe "the light" was the physical manifestation of God's pure moral authority in His created world.

As soon as God "did" something "evil" (the opposite reaction of God's action of creating; yet not the "opposite" of God seeing how "evil" is not omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, immortal or existing outside of time) appeared.

"Evil" being a reaction to God's action; thus being limited to time and space.

The creative action is manifest by the appearance of the light. The "equal and opposite reaction" is darkness. This is why I think when the beginning of John speaks of light coming into the world (Christ); darkness does not "seek" to swallow it up (because "it's" God incarnate) and darkness can't.

God incarnate manifests all the attributes of God "the entity" and because darkness is a byproduct of the creative process of God; it is limited to the realm of the created order. This is how we know God alone is eternally existent.

Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

66 Books

Oct 6, 2019
New castle
✟18,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God didn't create light out of the darkness; He commanded the darkness to stop oppressing the light. I believe "the light" was the physical manifestation of God's pure moral authority in His created world.

As soon as God "did" something "evil" (the opposite reaction of God's action of creating; yet not the "opposite" of God seeing how "evil" is not omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, immortal or existing outside of time) appeared.

"Evil" being a reaction to God's action; thus being limited to time and space.

The creative action is manifest by the appearance of the light. The "equal and opposite reaction" is darkness. This is why I think when the beginning of John speaks of light coming into the world (Christ); darkness does not "seek" to swallow it up (because "it's" God incarnate) and darkness can't.

God incarnate manifests all the attributes of God "the entity" and because darkness is a byproduct of the creative process of God; it is limited to the realm of the created order. This is how we know God alone is eternally existent.

Does that make sense?

By the grace of God I believe I understand! Evil is whatever the opposite of who and what God is because He alone is Good as the Scripture states! Hallelujah! I still don't know where hell fits into all this. And second, does that mean that just because He does something necessarily mean that the reaction of it is bad? For example, He doesn't have to be patience or merciful at all to the children of Israel when they sin as in the book of Hosea for one. But is it evil to say that if He punished them after even their first offense that what He did was evil? Should He not even be praised if He decided to do that because He is God? But because of His forbearance, longsuffering and amazing love for His people He bears long, willing that none should perish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟145,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Because God is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, immortal and has no beginning and no end; obviously "time" in what ever dimension God occupies (Scripture calls it the 3rd heaven) is going to different than how we understand time now.

Currently, time had "a beginning" and in the future will have an end, once the new heavens and new earth are created. "Hell", I believe was created as a partition of this current universe. Is it a "3rd dimension" so to speak?
1. The domaine of God (obedient angels enter and exit from)
2. The domaine of the created realm (our current universe, including the attribute of existence that Satan and fallen angels occupy having been cast down "to earth" and unable to access heaven any longer, on account of Christ now reigns.)

subcategory of current universe "hell" = holding place for unregenerate deceased humans, Satan and disobedient angels. They have "sublet space" in this current universe based on the nature of what they are as "spirits".

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟145,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
By the grace of God I believe I understand! Evil is whatever the opposite of who and what God is because He alone is Good as the Scripture states!

"Evil" here as I define it as moral opposite is not omniscient, omnipotent..... (all those attributes that are God) And this is why I say it's limited to this created universe. We know this is the case because in the recreated world "evil" does not exist. There is no potential to fall, because that which is now corruptible is remade as incorruptible.

This recreated world (that will have no end) is now necessary because of the incarnation. Because God interjected His Own presence into the created world as a created entity (the Son); He redeems the universe by atoning for human sin. So thus when it's recreated it's possible to be recreated incorruptible because of the atonement.

But is it evil to say that if He punished them after even their first offense that what He did was evil?

Also, when looking at words translated into English as "evil"; keep in mind you are looking at multiple different Hebrew words. "Evil" as "God does evil"; means to bring calamity. And as you say; obviously on account of sin; God has every right to do that. His sovereignty is what demonstrates that He is God. (God is the 800 lb gorilla in the room; in the end He does what He wants. LOL Although created entities still have the ability to act independently of the wishes of other entities (God included). In that sense they don't really have "free will" because their wills are controlled by their sin. (But that's another theological discussion!)

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I would agree with you in "dimension where God exists", as having a differing time qualifier; but because "hell" is a space created for entities who do not bear any of the attributes of God, it would not have that same time qualifier.
One argument used by people who reject hell is that they should spend only a certain amount of time to pay for their sins it was unfair for a small minor sin to stay the same length of time (forever) as a more heinous sin. My argument is that if there is no concept of time in hell then one is there moment to moment and forever could be the same suffering as but a few minutes as how do you tell the difference if time doesn't pass as we can feel it.

Upvote 0