When my doctor once found a lesion on my skin, he didn’t accompany me as a “member of the melanoma community” — he just rebuked and healed me...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Years ago, the dermatologist removed a small but dangerous growth on my fair skin and placed me on an inspection schedule. He thought I had neglected his previous directives and needed his stricter attention.

The doctor did not praise me as a “member of the Melanoma Community.” He did not offer to “accompany me on my journey.” He rebuked me and insisted I get back on schedule, and I’m still around after several additional minor excisions. Good doctors teach us about our responsibilities as our “brother’s keeper.”

We warn—and need corrections—in justice and charity. Superiors, peers, and prophets approach the art of rebuking according to their state in life and the circumstances of their relationships. Righteous rebukes save souls.

Rebukes by Jesus

After Peter’s witness of faith, Jesus built His Church on the rock of Peter—with papal authority carrying the keys of the Kingdom. Immediately following the conferral, Peter attempts to dissuade Jesus from going up to Jerusalem to “suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised.” Peter dares to rebuke the Person he recently identified as the Divine Messiah: “God forbid, Lord! This shall never happen to you.” The rebuke of Jesus is harsh: “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me; for you are not on the side of God, but of men” (cf. Mt. 16:13-23).

We can’t blame Peter for fearing the Cross. Jesus also dreaded His upcoming Passion in the Garden of Gethsemane. But Peter places himself in charge of God’s will. Peter—and every successor who claims authority apart from Revelation—needs a firm rebuke to restore him on the road to heaven.

Rebukes by superiors in everyday life

Continued below.