Visit site
✟84,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Paraclete indwelling operation was released for the first time only after Jesus had died on the cross, John 16:
7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate [Paraclete] will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.
When does a believer receive the Paraclete?
1 John 4:
13 By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit.
I.e., the Paraclete
14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
John 14:
23 If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
I understand the "we" above refers to the Paraclete. However, there is not exactly one consistent precise moment for all believers when the Paraclete will dwell in them. On the day of the Pentecost, Acts2:
38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
i.e., the Paraclete
39 This promise belongs to you and your children and to all who are far off—to all whom the Lord our God will call to Himself.”
Elsewhere in Galatians 3:
1O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified. 2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?
I interpret the Spirit here as the Paraclete. Here, Paul didn't mention baptism.
Ephesians 1:
13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is the guaranteed of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.
What happens afterward?
Sanctification, Galatians 3:
3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? 4 Did you suffer so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain? 5 Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith
The indwelling Paraclete is connected to our human spirit. This is our vital connection as we grow in the Spirit. Our spirit cannot grow without this connection.
From my personal experience, I list the following sequence of events:
  1. I heard the gospel for many years here and there but never believed it.
  2. One day, I heard it again and finally believed that Jesus is the Son of God. Presumably, the Paraclete took up residence in me at this time, but I was unaware of it.
  3. Some days later, a Christian friend led me into the prayer.
  4. A few months later, I could perceive the Paraclete speaking into my conscience now and then.
  5. A couple of years later, I was baptized.
  6. I started to read the Bible and pray daily.
  7. A couple of years later, I could perceive the Paraclete in me and sense peace every time at any time.
This is the role of the Paraclete in initial salvation plus daily sanctification.
When do we receive the Paraclete?
It is up to God. On our part, believe, repent, get baptized, and love and obey God.
Once the Paraclete has taken up residence in your spirit, you can sense him in your conscience/spirit. Every time you do, you will have peace. I have never once doubted God or my salvation since, not even for a brief moment, not even when I experienced the most terrible things in my life.
See also How to get closer to God and grow in faith.

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
The Paraclete indwelling operation was released for the first time only after Jesus had died on the cross, John 16:

1 John 4:

I.e., the Paraclete

John 14:

I understand the "we" above refers to the Paraclete. However, there is not exactly one consistent precise moment for all believers when the Paraclete will dwell in them. On the day of the Pentecost, Acts2:

i.e., the Paraclete

I interpret the Spirit here as the Paraclete. Here, Paul didn't mention baptism.
Ephesians 1:

What happens afterward?

The indwelling Paraclete is connected to our human spirit. This is our vital connection as we grow in the Spirit. Our spirit cannot grow without this connection.
  2. One day, I heard it again and finally believed that Jesus is the Son of God. Presumably, the Paraclete took up residence in me at this time, but I was unaware of it.
  4. A few months later, I could perceive the Paraclete speaking into my conscience now and then.
  7. A couple of years later, I could perceive the Paraclete in me and sense peace every time at any time.
This is the role of the Paraclete in initial salvation plus daily sanctification.
It is up to God. On our part, believe, repent, get baptized, and love and obey God.
Once the Paraclete has taken up residence in your spirit, you can sense him in your conscience/spirit. Every time you do, you will have peace. I have never once doubted God or my salvation since, not even for a brief moment, not even when I experienced the most terrible things in my life.
I don't presume that you assume otherwise, but for possible readers, what one experiences "epistemically" is not a good judge of what nor when the Spirit of God does whatever it does.

And, I say that, assuming that you, like I, take "The Paraclete" to be the Spirit of God. For those who are confused on that point, it would be useful to look "paraclete" up a dictionary, or better, a Bible dictionary, and to read John 14:16, preferably in context.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

1 John 4:

I.e., the Paraclete

John 14:

i.e., the Paraclete

Ephesians 1:

What happens afterward?

I also assume you mean to get at the point, that when the Spirit of God is mentioned as happening here or there, doing this or that, it is not always the same as the Spirit of God indwelling a person.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And, I say that, assuming that you, like I, take "The Paraclete" to be the Spirit of God.
More specifically, the Paraclete is our tentacular connection to the Holy Spirit. It is the connection itself.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also assume you mean to get at the point, that when the Spirit of God is mentioned as happening here or there, doing this or that, it is not always the same as the Spirit of God indwelling a person.
Right.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

1 John 4:

I.e., the Paraclete

John 14:

i.e., the Paraclete

Ephesians 1:

What happens afterward?

Not so ....

The Paraclete is the Holy Spirit of God

It's often termed in the OT as the spirit of God.

The Holy indwells as he sees fit and has been doing so since creation. Can indwell or withdraw.

Heres a couple of examples.

Joseph was filled with the Spirit of God (Genesis 41:38). The craftsmen who built the tabernacle were filled with the Spirit of God (Exodus 31:3).

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
More specifically, the Paraclete is our tentacular connection to the Holy Spirit. It is the connection itself.
In the same way that I say that the Gospel is Jesus, I say that he is the message, the messenger, the subject of the message, and the reason for the message.

The connection to the Holy Spirit is the Holy Spirit, who is the advocate, paraclete, counselor, even comforter. God in us. I don't know how you come up with something to separate the connection from the connected in this context. Curious what you mean by that, our how you come by it.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know how you come up with something to separate the connection from the connected in this context.
I am not. The Paraclete is not separated from the Holy Spirit. It is a particular part or operation of Him.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I am not. The Paraclete is not separated from the Holy Spirit. It is a particular part or operation of Him.
Oh, ok. I think I understand what you mean now.

• Optimistic
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Holy Spirit has been working in the lives of humans since the fall of mankind.

What happened at Pentecost was they were empowered by the Holy Spirit to help bring forth the gospel in a magnificent and powerful way.

Jesus describes three primary functions (not exclusively) of the Holy Spirit: to convict the world concerning sin, righteousness, and judgment. The conviction of the Holy Spirit is not used to invoke continuous guilt ... rather ... to make us aware of our sin and our need of a Savior. When that happens then help is provided (through the Holy Spirit) to help us change our thinking and doing if we are open to it.

This has been going on since the fall of mankind and will continue until the return of Jesus.

He was giving them reassurance that although He would be crucified (not physically on earth) that He would not abandon them ... that He would send the Holy Spirit to help them and in a very powerful ways. It was reassurance so they would not lose faith with His earthly physical absence that was to come.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
John 14

15If you love Me, you will keepe My commandments. 16And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot receive Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you do know Him, for He abides with you and will be in you.

Presense of the Holy Spirit already there

Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟8,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate [Paraclete] will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.
1 John 4:
13 By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit.
I.e., the Paraclete
14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
It is indeed after atonement, which is why we are instructed to turn to God, Believe in the Son for remission of sins and you will receive the gift of the Spirit.

Nonetheless, as previously addressed, the one sacrifice is sufficient for all time. Hebrews 10:12
John 14
15If you love Me, you will keepe My commandments. 16And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot receive Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you do know Him, for He abides with you
When Job declared, "Even now my Advocate is on high," Job 16:19
When David declared, "I know that the Lord saves His anointed," Psalm 20:5-6
When Isaiah declared, "I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lifted up," Isaiah 6:1
They were giving the testimony of the Messiah, Jesus Christ.
Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you; so that you do not miss the mark, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ; 1 Corinthians 1:6-7 Kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed. 1 Peter 1:5
and will be in you.

Presense of the Holy Spirit already there
Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you, searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow. 1 Peter 1:10-11

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums