Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Almost 19 months into this widowhood journey now. I wear his ring and mine still. I started wearing his ring when he lost so much weight from the cancer that he was afraid it would just slide off. I tried taking them off but I felt naked...so they're back on. I have no desire to date or find another partner, so my rings will stay on until we see each other again. I am still Mrs. RPD, and will be forever.

Wearing rings or not is a personal decision...each person has different feelings about it. All I can say is follow your heart on this one. If it makes your grieving easier to take them off, take them off. If you can't imagine taking them off, then don't take them off. This journey we're all on is the same but so different.

Upvote 0

Farmgal30

Jun 8, 2021
Cades
✟16,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm going on 2 months widowhood. We were married for 29 years. My husband was tragically killed in a tractor accident. We are farmers and only wore our rings on special occasions and when we'd go out. I was thinking about maybe having our rings made into some other piece of jewelry!

Reactions: raeeldri
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Someone stole my engagement and wedding ring. I bought a cheap ring to wear because an obnoxious person kept hitting on me when he saw me in Walmart. The cheap ring is looking ugly now; I should throw it out tonight.

My husband passed away from cancer ten years ago; I'm bored to death without him!

Upvote 0

HopefulMuse

Dec 28, 2022
Seattle
✟7,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It's only been a month since she's gone after 52 years together. I stare at my wedding ring and think 'what does this mean now?' I'm in no rush to remove it but I am curious about how others have dealt with/deal with this symbol of commitment.
JP, I faced the same conundrum when my husband passed. Wear it as long as it gives you a sweet memory or “the warm fuzzies”. You aren’t betraying her if you take it off. She’s in your heart forever. I removed mine then put it back on, then a month later I put it in my jewelry box. That was 3 months ago and it’s still there. I am so sorry you are hurting.

Upvote 0

By_the_Book

Life lived by the Bible is life worth living.
Jul 25, 2022
St. Augustine
Visit site
✟30,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
It's only been a month since she's gone after 52 years together. I stare at my wedding ring and think 'what does this mean now?' I'm in no rush to remove it but I am curious about how others have dealt with/deal with this symbol of commitment.
I lost my husband in April. I still wear my wedding ring it's very special to me obviously but for me my wedding ring doesn't actually look like a wedding ring. My husband opted to have a ring custom made for me and like they do in England it looks more like a large statement ring than it doesn't actual wedding ring but to me it will always be a wedding ring. It's a quantum cut 18.33 carat Swiss blue topaz set in gold with leaves on the side. So as you can tell from the description it's not the typical wedding ring. But I still wear it on that finger and honestly I can't imagine not wearing it. Does it send the message to people that I'm married? I don't really know but honestly I'm not sure I really care st this point. I don't know if any of that will be helpful to you but that's my response.

Upvote 0

DaveHTexas

Dec 23, 2016
League City, TX
✟39,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not sure if I answered this already or not. My background is a bit different as I come from an Amish family (a couple of generations back but...) and jewlery always bothered me. I kid you not I tried getting her to agree to me growing my beard instead... She never went for it, we were always together though and nobody needed to see a ring to know I was married to her. It was OBVIOUS... Anyway, the day she passed away, I freaked out since she wouldn't physically be with me and panic searched the house for my ring and put it on. Fast forward to 4 months later, God put it on my heart that I didn't need the ring then, and I don't need it now, so I took it off. And have not looked back since. I know I passed the till death do us part thing. But I also know I don't love her any less than I did when she was alive.

Upvote 0

By_the_Book

Life lived by the Bible is life worth living.
Jul 25, 2022
St. Augustine
Visit site
✟30,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I know I passed the till death do us part thing. But I also know I don't love her any less than I did when she was alive.
I so get that! And feel exactly the same way about my husband.

That's another thing, I still call him my husband when I talk about him. I actually stopped myself one day and said to someone, 'I don't know how to refer to him because it sounds like he's still here when I talk about him but I don't know how to refer to him.'

I think I'm going to post about that to get other widows and widowers input about how they handle it. If anyone has input please give it.

Upvote 0

raeeldri

Jun 10, 2023
Karak
Visit site
✟1,373.00
Country
Jordan
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
After my wife of 36 years, about after a month, I looked at my ring and I heard in my ears, till death do we part. Then I was ready. I am not saying that is what you should do, rather when it or if it is time then you will know. Do not let anyone tell you that you to move on, that is between you and God. Peace be unto you. And thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0