Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Someone who accepts the role of Jesus Christ as the "Son of God",
and that there's only one God.

Anything more specific than that, such as obediance to the Pope, or
certain lifestyle choices, gets you into the subsets of Christianity.

Anything in addition to that, and you're dealing with polytheism
or pluralism.

Upvote 0

Fuzzy

One by Four by Nine
Aug 12, 2004
✟17,214.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
greedy_goddess said:
Well I've always been told that if you believe in Christ it makes you a Christian. Am I wrong?
Wrong? No, but it could be further refined.

Intellectually, someone could believe in the existence of a historical
figure named Jesus, but not believe in his divine nature, or that he
had an above-average connection to the divine. That belief in
Jesus as something MORE than the average is what makes it religion.

Upvote 0

forever_standing

Aug 6, 2004
California
✟202.00
Faith
Pentecostal
greedy_goddess said:
Well I've always been told that if you believe in Christ it makes you a Christian. Am I wrong?
I'd have to disagree with Fuzzy and say yes, you are wrong. Even the demons themselves believe in God and Christ, doesn't make them Christians.

Being Christian is being "Christ-like" in a sense (or at least attempting to be like Him/ following Him). It's believing in God and in His Son Jesus Christ; that He sent Jesus as a sacrifice for our sins, died on a cross and rose again in 3 days. With that our Saviour lives and we can have relationship with God. Anyone who confesses with his mouth that Jesus is Lord and believes in His heart that Christ rose shall be saved. (Romans 10 for actual verses, not my paraphrase)

Upvote 0

coyoteBR

greetings
Jan 18, 2004
✟2,288.00
Faith
Fuzzy said:
Wrong? No, but it could be further refined.

Intellectually, someone could believe in the existence of a historical
figure named Jesus, but not believe in his divine nature, or that he
had an above-average connection to the divine. That belief in
Jesus as something MORE than the average is what makes it religion.

I like your definition, Fuzzy, but I would add

Someone who believe in the existence of Jesus, His Divine Nature and/or that He Had an above-average conection to The Divine and tries to follow His teachings and examples

getting closer?

Upvote 0

Fuzzy

One by Four by Nine
Aug 12, 2004
✟17,214.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, coyoteBR, you and forever_standing have good points with the "following his
example" part. And forever_standing rightly points out that demons of Christian
theology do have a recognition of Christ, yet are in nature opposed, and thus not
"Christian." I still view greedy_goddess' statement "belief in Christ=Christian" to
be valid, since "Christ" carries a certain...societal? cultural?...weight that brings
what the Christ/Messiah is expected to do with it. But I do see your points.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Feral,
Believing that God exists and Christ is his son and the one way to Heaven seems to be enough. I don't think your actions, history or attitude necessarily applies. But then again, I'm not...so I could be wrong.

I think Jesus made it clear when he said you would know them by their fruits, and also that many false prophets would come in his name, saying he was the Christ and they would deceive many.
So not everyone who says they're a Christian, or who says they believe in God and Jesus resurrection is actually a true follower or worshipper of Christ.
Also, just belonging to a Christian church and going through the motions of that religion don't make someone a Christian. It goes back to the fruits, which are the actions.
If people truly believe from their heart, they will be on a path with heart. Most of what I see in so called Christian churches is very far removed from what Jesus Christ taught, how he lived, and how he interacted with people.

Upvote 0

greedy_goddess

Sep 13, 2004
Farmington,NewMexico
✟7,736.00
Faith
Mormon
forever_standing said:
I'd have to disagree with Fuzzy and say yes, you are wrong. Even the demons themselves believe in God and Christ, doesn't make them Christians.

Being Christian is being "Christ-like" in a sense (or at least attempting to be like Him/ following Him). It's believing in God and in His Son Jesus Christ; that He sent Jesus as a sacrifice for our sins, died on a cross and rose again in 3 days. With that our Saviour lives and we can have relationship with God. Anyone who confesses with his mouth that Jesus is Lord and believes in His heart that Christ rose shall be saved. (Romans 10 for actual verses, not my paraphrase)
Okay so then that would make Mormons Christians would it not? That's what they believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

forever_standing

Aug 6, 2004
California
✟202.00
Faith
Pentecostal
greedy_goddess said:
Okay so then that would make Mormons Christians would it not? That's what they believe.
Mormonism and Christianity are definitely two different things. Mormonism follows a belief more of what Smith set down for them (their religion's originator, per se). They believe in things such as God having a wife, a council of gods, there being different planets you go to after death, etc. They have a completely different Bible as Christianity as well. I can't go into the complete doctrine of LDS but it is significantly different.

Upvote 0

firefromheaven

Aug 31, 2004
✟156.00
Faith
Christian
greedy_goddess said:

It's someone who is a doer of the word and not a hearer only.

So if someone says that they are and don't live according to the word they are not a christian.Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Mat 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs

of thistles?

Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt

tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt

tree bring forth good fruit.

Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast

into the fire.

Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the

kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied

in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful

works?

Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me,

ye that work iniquity.

Upvote 0