What's wrong with me?!??!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2004
Mississippi
✟117.00
Faith
Christian
I love God and attend church regularly and pray daily, I don't really read the Word every day as I should... though I watch Jesse Duplantis every Tuesday....I still have to make myself read the Word....I thought I should "feel" like reading....but, It is really hard to dicipline myself to do so.....what is wrong with me?:confused:

bamagirl

Feb 22, 2004
Alabama
✟7,874.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you like to read other books? Have you thought about listening to the Bible on CD in case you don't like to read or don't have the time, you could just pop in the cd and listen to it? I don't think theres something wrong with you ...sometimes I just don't have the time or take the time to read as much as I should....Don't beat yourself up over this though....pray that Jesus will reveal Himslef to you in HIs Word...come up with a daily schedule to help you read it...I will be praying for you too :)

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There was a man who lived in a very poor part of town in a tiny, one room shack. He ate what he could beg for and foriage. His clothes were ragged and his feet were bare. His only possession was a bag full of dust. His grandfather had given him and each of his brothers a bag on his deathbed.
One day while begging his long lost brother happened upon him with a surprized look on his face. His brother was well dressed with fine leather shoes on and a well rounded paunch that said he was missing no meals. The brother rushed to him and said, "My brother, what happed to you? Did someone rob you of your gold dust?"
You see the poor man did not know what he had.
The reason people do not read and study the Bible is because they do not know what they have. They have in their hands the answer to every mystery, the solution to every problem, the secrets of the creation unveiled. In this book are the instructions on how to make peace with God, how to live forever, and how to recieved all the goodness and blessings of live for youself and your family.
No bag of gold, not even a mountain of gold can replace the riches contained in the scripture.

But you have to have a key. They key is the spirit of Truth.

Begin to pray this prayer every day.

Ephesians 1:16-18
16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

It will open your spiritual eyes and help you see what it is that you have. Soon reading the Bible will become an adventure.

Upvote 0

Johnny Be Good

If you have not love...
Jun 17, 2004
Waynesville, Missouri
Visit site
✟1,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
WOW--those were all good responses!

I used to have the same problem. I found it difficult to read the Word because it took so much brain energy--I'd have to re-read each verse 4 or 5 times just to get grasp its meaning! NO KIDDING! It was a chore and I resprted to the Word on tape, TV, radio and church twice a week. Then I discovered through a set of circumstances that I had adult ADD! I wound up going to the Stratera web site and low and behold, when I read the symptoms, it was like looking in the mirror! I'm not saying you've got ADD, but you never know--I only bring it up because If I had known this 20 or 30 years ago my E N T I R E life would be different today. The Word has become graspable ( :) ) the first time I read a verse! PRAISE GOD!

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2004
Mississippi
✟117.00
Faith
Christian
Wow! Thanks for the quick responses....you all had very good thoughts to share.....but , I love to read books and thats the problem....I know all my answers are in the Bible yet, I still don't "feel" like reading ....I just want God to just go ahead and give me the revelation I need.....I just really have a dicpline problem.....you know the Word says seek you first the kingdom of God and ALL these things shall be added unto you....sounds like thats my answer.....I just need to do like some of ya'll suggested and MAKE time for reading the Word....cause I've started to feel guilty for reading Christian books instead of the Bible.:wave:

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
my redeemer lives said:
I love God and attend church regularly and pray daily, I don't really read the Word every day as I should... though I watch Jesse Duplantis every Tuesday....I still have to make myself read the Word....I thought I should "feel" like reading....but, It is really hard to dicipline myself to do so.....what is wrong with me?:confused:
I have a similar experience. I've been an avid reader since I was a child but I typically read novels and other works of fiction. I have developed the habit of skimming until something interesting happens. That has become so ingrained into me that I have great difficulty reading the Bible because every few words catch myself skimming. It takes great discipline to read and get anything from the Bible. As I'm sure some others have said, set aside some time every day and if you can only read a chapter, then keep it up and soon you will have read quite a bit. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

riverpastor

Take the Red Pill.
Mar 23, 2004
Ft. Worth
✟20,727.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Really have enjoyed Eldredge's books myself.

Gene Edwards may be some good reading for you as well. His publishing site is http://www.seedsowers.com/

His books are scripturally perceptive. When I start reading, it brings the scripture and its Truth to light. Not a substitute for the Word, but it can possibly stir a greater desire in you for the Word.

Upvote 0

ajuran

Aug 3, 2004
Visit site
✟376.00
Faith
Non-Denom
first of all: you are not alone. i although have and had a lot of problems to read my bible regularly. my life is always changing, in the moment i don´t even have my own room - so it´s quit hard to set an special time. and lately, since i have my own pc, i don´t even read other books.

sometimes i wished we would have the bible not only in the normal written type. i mean we are always watching something, novels are written much more in our language - and even the newer translations, like new living, are written like an typical bible. do you know what i mean? although, in english you have much more tools to use, than we over here.

what i do when i feel guilty - i just talk to god over it. he knows every single bit of me. he understands why i´m not abble to do it, and that i really want to please him. and than i start again. over and over again. but over the time, i read more parts of the bible.

ok, that´s my last post for today. it´s almost 12 pm - and i still have to read my bible. good night... :)

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
my redeemer lives said:
There may not be anything wrong with you . The Spirit may not be leading you to do that and you are thinking that you "should" because of law and not Spirit . Have you thought of merely using the time to discuss things with Him instead of bible study when you aren't in the mood to study ?

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
enoch son said:
What edition or translation of the Bible do you read? If I had to read King James only I would have shot myself a long time ago. There are two simple prays to help in this matter. Eph. 1-16,17,18,19 "open the eyes of my heart" and James 1-5 "wisdom". You will not get anything out of the book if it becomes a work.
LOL!! I would find it more satisfying to shoot the book a few times instead of myself . ;)

I completely agree with that last sentence of yours .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IloveJesusMyFather3:16

waiting for Jesus, my beautiful Savior, to return
Jun 14, 2004
Tennessee
✟16,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah really! If I only had the KJV to read I would go insane. I switch bibles every now and then. That helps me. I love The Book and New Living version! Maybe you should go to used book stores and get other versions of bibles to keep it different. I have trouble reading the bible too. Jesus said, "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak". That makes me not feel so bad when I can't read the bible. Sometimes I just spend an hour talking to Jesus instead of reading the bible.
:bow: :clap: :wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.