Wales
✟350,949.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I've been undertaking some research so I can do my own Medieval Fantasy story, and I've recently bought some books to read. One subject proved hard to find good quality books for, and that was the subject of Kiev Rūs, which is a period of Medieval Russian history, and... boy let me tell you, it is hard to find good quality and cheap books on that subject.
And in the process, I ended up going to a website called World of Books and buying a book titled "The Culture of Kiev Rūs" by Academician B.D. Grecov. Not had time to read it yet because of post-work stuff, but I have to say, it is lovely to look at:

63a8a614c1a5de5c655413d38ee4f6f6ac20e22e.jpg

4a5c5ff9ff0d80c9fadb257e9742d4905405d5cf.jpg

But I had no idea of WHEN this book was published until after I bought it.

It was published in 1947. Grekov didn't first publish the book until 1944, so this is likely one of THE first English editions of the book. Which makes it THE oldest book I own.

So I have to wonder... does anyone else own a really old book, or a first edition book?

W
williamoliver
It must be quite exciting to own something with such historical significance. I don't personally own any really old or first edition books. If you have any specific writing questions, please ask! There are excellent writers available to assist you bit.ly/3C9eMwX. Do you have any other unique or valuable books in your collection?
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have a collection of old commentaries of the New Testament published between 1850-1900, but most of them are falling apart. Some of them still have personally written notes in the opening blank pages by the original owners. One of them for example is a commentary on the Acts of the Apostles by Melancthon Jacobus, published during his lifetime, is not perfectly intact, but still readable.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,337.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have a couple of hymn- and prayer books from 1850-1920, but one of the oldest I think is this little book printed in 1840. It's Martin Luther's prefaces to the New Testament and the Psalms:

IMG_5110.JPG

Upvote 0

Canuckster

Nov 21, 2022
Calgary
✟29,071.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've been undertaking some research so I can do my own Medieval Fantasy story, and I've recently bought some books to read. One subject proved hard to find good quality books for, and that was the subject of Kiev Rūs, which is a period of Medieval Russian history, and... boy let me tell you, it is hard to find good quality and cheap books on that subject.
And in the process, I ended up going to a website called World of Books and buying a book titled "The Culture of Kiev Rūs" by Academician B.D. Grecov. Not had time to read it yet because of post-work stuff, but I have to say, it is lovely to look at:

63a8a614c1a5de5c655413d38ee4f6f6ac20e22e.jpg

4a5c5ff9ff0d80c9fadb257e9742d4905405d5cf.jpg

But I had no idea of WHEN this book was published until after I bought it.

It was published in 1947. Grekov didn't first publish the book until 1944, so this is likely one of THE first English editions of the book. Which makes it THE oldest book I own.

So I have to wonder... does anyone else own a really old book, or a first edition book?
My oldest book I own is The Murashu archive, 730 clay tablets (in digital format), found at Nippur, Babylon 1893, and published by Hermann Vollrat Hilprecht 1904. The archives are corporate records of the business dealings of the Jewish Babylonian Murashu clan who were the world’s first wealthy and powerful international banking family. The Murashu’s were landowners, agricultural managers and owners of the great Babylonian firm, Murashu Sons, between 464- 404 BC during the reigns of the Persian kings Artaxerxes I and Darius II. This was during the time of Ezra and Nehemiah. I believe it was this banking firm based in Babylon that was responsible for putting the Jews in Jerusalem into unplayable debt, recorded in Nehemiah 5, and had seized all their property: “their lands, their vineyards, their olive groves, and their houses…” Nehemiah rebuked them and they promised to restore their properties.

Today you can get old books for free cause the copyrights have expired and they’re now in the public domain. If my digital library was converted to print I would probably need to build a library building to store them.

The book you posted, “The Culture of Kiev Rus” by Academician B. D. Grecov, can be found here for free download: https://ia801707.us.archive.org/25/items/dli.ernet.14103/14103-The Culture Of Kiev Rus.pdf

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,949.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
The book you posted, “The Culture of Kiev Rus” by Academician B. D. Grecov, can be found here for free download:

I am aware that I could have gotten the PDF for it online. But you have to admit, there's something fun about actually owning the physical copy of an old book.

Reactions: Canuckster
Upvote 0