What's the motivation for Russia's Wikileaks?

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,765.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Has Trump been seduced by his obsession to do everything more "huge" than anyone else? I do have to say that involvement with Russia's wikileaks is way bigger than three Clinton emails that Comey said were marked classified on July 5--a statement he retracted on July 7.

The FBI suspects that Russian government hackers breached the networks of the Democratic National Committee and stole emails that were posted to the anti-secrecy site WikiLeaks on Friday. It’s an operation that several U.S. officials now suspect was a deliberate attempt to influence the presidential election in favor of Donald Trump, according to five individuals familiar with the investigation of the breach.

The theory that Moscow orchestrated the leaks to help Trump—who has repeatedly praised Russian President Vladimir Putin and practically called for the end of NATO—is fast gaining currency within the Obama administration because of the timing of the leaks and Trump’s own connections to the Russian government, the sources said on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing and developing quickly.

Officials also noted Trump’s own connections to the Russian government. Putin has publicly praised the nominee, who said he was “honored” by the compliment. Trump’s campaign manager, Paul Manafort, was a consultant for Viktor Yanukovych, the former president of Ukraine who was ousted for his pro-Moscow orientation (and now lives in Russia). One of Trump’s top national security advisers, retired Army Gen. Michael Flynn, sat with Putin at a dinner celebrating the 10th anniversary of Kremlin-backed media network RT and was paid to give a speech at the event; Flynn later retweeted an anti-Semitic message that called into question any Kremlin-Trump link. Another Trump adviser, Carter Page, recently denounced America’s “often-hypocritical focus on democratization” while in Moscow. And last week, Trump said that he might not come to the aid of U.S. NATO allies in the face of Russian aggression unless they paid what he thinks they owe for Europe’s common defense.

There's a huge difference between advocating nationalism and selling out to Russia, that's for sure.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ficials-say-it-was-to-elect-donald-trump.html

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It doesn''t matter.

We have a foriegn power attempting to illegally influence an American presidential election.

The scary thing is Trump is celebrating the "help" his Chinese and Russian friends are giving to him.

Explain to me like I'm 5 why this isn't treason ?

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Has Trump been seduced by his obsession to do everything more "huge" than anyone else? I do have to say that involvement with Russia's wikileaks is way bigger than three Clinton emails that Comey said were marked classified on July 5--a statement he retracted on July 7.

There's a huge difference between advocating nationalism and selling out to Russia, that's for sure.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ficials-say-it-was-to-elect-donald-trump.html

I don't think it's good if Russia is behind this and it is kind of scary, but that's really just avoiding the issue that's right in front:

If the emails didn't exist, there would have been nothing to leak.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,765.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think it's good if Russia is behind this and it is kind of scary, but that's really just avoiding the issue that's right in front:

Debbie Wasserman Schultz' determination to get Hillary nominated was no surprise to anyone. All the emails did was clarify what Sanders and every other Democrat already knew.

Both the Republican and Democrat nomination processes were marred this year--the Democrats' by super-delegates, and the Republicans' by a lack of super-delegates that allowed a narcissistic megalomaniac to win the nomination. I hope both parties can find a reasonable solution by 2020.

As far as the Taco Bowl email goes, Donald Trump, in an effort to show he liked Hispanic culture, decided to eat a taco bowl, not at an authentically ethnic mom and pop restaurant but at his own Anglicized and overpriced hotel. This is what the DNC wanted to exploit--it wasn't a slur at American Hispanics---it was an attempt to exploit Donald Trump's slur.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟67,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I thought all you librul types liked wikiwhatever.

Do you even understand

Can you even fathom.

A foreign power is attempting to influence the American Presidential election and Donald Trump thinks it a good idea.

It doesn't matter HOW they are do it, this is walking dangerously to an act of war on Russia's part and treason on Trumps part

and all you can think of to do is come up with some snarky comment about wikileaks ?

What is wrong with you ?

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Debbie Wasserman Schultz' determination to get Hillary nominated was no surprise to anyone. All the emails did was clarify what Sanders and every other Democrat already knew.

Both the Republican and Democrat nomination processes were marred this year--the Democrats' by super-delegates, and the Republicans' by a lack of super-delegates that allowed a narcissistic megalomaniac to win the nomination. I hope both parties can find a reasonable solution by 2020.

As far as the Taco Bowl email goes, Donald Trump, in an effort to show he liked Hispanic culture, decided to eat a taco bowl, not at an authentically ethnic mom and pop restaurant but at his own Anglicized and overpriced hotel. This is what the DNC wanted to exploit--it wasn't a slur at American Hispanics---it was an attempt to exploit Donald Trump's slur.

Yeah, the Taco Bowl thing was pretty obvious to me. Don't worry about that.

But why should I just be ok with it happening? Because it shouldn't be a surprise? That doesn't even really follow in my opinion.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Liberal types" don't condone theft.

And we certainly don't condone foreign interference in our elections.
But you're happy when the same organization threatens national security. Ok. Pick and choose. I get it.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
it is a shame that the Democratic party has so little respect for its own voters that it feels the sick need to manipulate the democratic process

between the party favoring one candidate and the power of the Super Delegates the name "Democratic" no longer has any baring to the character of that party

we do not know if Russia was behind the leak yet, I think the Democrats are just trying to shift the blame

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic

Emails will alway exist in politics. Don't think that the republicans don't have emails that would be embarrassing in public as well. I'd say there are hackers trying to look into that as we speak. It's the world we live in.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Emails will alway exist in politics. Don't think that the republicans don't have emails that would be embarrassing in public as well. I'd say there are hackers trying to look into that as we speak. It's the world we live in.

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that they were caught doing something they shouldn't be doing. "It happens everywhere" isn't much of an excuse. Other people speeding isn't really an excuse that tends to work when you get a ticket yourself, right?

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Anyone with even average intelligence should know better than to put anything in writing that you would ever be ashamed of, embarrassed by, or that would incriminate you.
That should be an indication of who's in charge these days. Mostly idiots.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Don't think that the republicans don't have emails that would be embarrassing in public as well.

prove it!!!!

:D

this is such a weak argument "well yeah.... but I mean.... I BET they are doin bad stuff too!"

the Dems got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, and the only come back is to try and shift blame

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
prove it!!!!

:D

this is such a weak argument "well yeah.... but I mean.... I BET they are doin bad stuff too!"

the Dems got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, and the only come back is to try and shift blame
I remember when Bill got caught with his pants down. The dems used the same argument: "You know he's not the first president to fool around. Plenty of republican presidents did it too."
To which I replied: Maybe, but Clinton was the first one stupid enough to get caught.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I remember when Bill got caught with his pants down. The dems used the same argument: "You know he's not the first president to fool around. Plenty of republican presidents did it too."
To which I replied: Maybe, but Clinton was the first one stupid enough to get caught.

some people are just not mature enough to take responsibility for their own actions

people in their 40's, 50's, 60's who are now leaders of the democratic party never grew up
whining like petulant children "bu bu bu but THEY did it TOO"

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2008
✟14,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
some people are just not mature enough to take responsibility for their own actions

people in their 40's, 50's, 60's who are now leaders of the democratic party never grew up
whining like petulant children "bu bu bu but THEY did it TOO"

You beat me to it.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟67,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Lo, I like you and respect you but let's be real here:

If the Palestinians were attempting to interfere with an Israeli election by hacking and leaking party e-mails the IDF would be pushing the Palestinians on the Gaza strip into the Mediterranean Sea with bulldozers in justifiable outrage over interference with their way of life.

That the way I feel about Russia trying to ensure a madman gets elected in my country.

...and I don't care how they are doing the interfering. This is razor thin close to an act of war.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Lo, I like you and respect you but let's be real here:

If the Palestinians were attempting to interfere with an Israeli election by hacking and leaking party e-mails the IDF would be pushing the Palestinians on the Gaza strip into the Mediterranean Sea with bulldozers in justifiable outrage over interference with their way of life.

That the way I feel about Russia trying to ensure a madman gets elected in my country.

...and I don't care how they are doing the interfering. This is razor thin close to an act of war.

Hey, if it's Russia they are in the wrong and I'd like both sides to come out strong against it. But, again, I'm not going to sit around acting like Russia made the DNC do it.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0