What's the best Introduction to th Old Testament book?

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I've been thinking about the same question. It would have to be very recent (I would say from this ongoing decade) and based on very scholarly research and be based on both the Qumran scrolls and the Septuagint (LXX) to be good.
You may find it by posting Your question at: General - Logos Bible Software Forums (registration and software are free) in a new thread. But watch out, many will say that a bit older works with less combined and up-to-date insights from the Qumran scrolls are fine.

Upvote 0

childofdust

May 18, 2010
✟2,177.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2014
http://www.edmundclowney.com
✟168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bible Content and Interpretation

A. Essential Reading
God’s Big Picture: Tracing the Storyline of the Bible, Vaughan Roberts
Reading the Bible with Heart and Mind, Tremper Longman III
According to Plan: the Unfolding Revelation of God in in the Bible, Graeme Goldsworthy
Playing by the Rules, Robert H. Stein
Survey of the Bible, William Hendricksen

B. Further Reading
Christ of the Covenants, O. Palmer Robertson
He Gave Us Stories, Richard Pratt, Jr.
Knowing Jesus Through the Old Testament, Christopher Wright
Let the Reader Understand, Dan McCartney & Charles Clayton
The Progress of Redemption, William Van Gemeren

C. Advanced/Comparison Reading
Biblical Theology, Geerhardus Vos
Introduction to the Old Testament, Raymond Dillard & Tremper Longman III
The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses, Vern Poythress
Introduction to the New Testament, Carson, Moo, and Morris
The Coming of the Kingdom, Herman Ridderbos
New Testament History, F.F. Bruce
Hermeneutics, Authority and Canon, Carson and Woodbridge
Foundations of Contemporary Interpretation, ed. Moises Silva

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
New Brunswick
✟16,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Star Adept

Feb 8, 2015
✟541.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I started my Hermeneutics studies after learning of the Documentary Hypothesis. Gnosticsteachings.org (they get pretty deep into Hebrew letter and word formation), Hebrew4Christians.com, and StudyLight.org were good online resources for me. Genesis 1-4 and the resurrection of Jesus were read in a new light because of those things and it set the tone for the rest of the OT. Beyond that I tend to take it verse-by-verse. StudyLight has an excellent interlinear function where it highlights the words in both languages and all are individual links to their individual definitions and pictograph versions.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
When I posted there was no information that it would be, or when it would be, available in Biblie Study software. So I was originally talking about the print version. The Bible Study software version is $42.95: Introduction to the Hebrew Bible
...with an abrevatiated Edition which can be had for $24.95: A Short Introduction to the Hebrew Bible
... both of these are currently still pre-pub orders - therefore the lower price. Both are by the same author:
There's a newer Edition, from 2014, which soon ships, it might still be available for pre-order. It also comes as "Shorter Introduction Hebrew Bible":
Can't get much better than John J. Collin's "Introduction to the Hebrew Bible."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shadowhunter

+collaboratively study, ~ debate, -fight.
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
✟60,940.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like the Gospel of John.
It is believed that the gospels were written in the order; Mark, Matthew, Luke, John. Each shows a better understanding of the 'mystery' which was ordained before the world began and kept secret until the cross. Mark started the story with the preaching of John the baptist. Matthew pushed the beginning to Abraham and Luke to Adam. But John goes clear to Ge 1:1 and from the first three words discerns:
1. The Word is the Son who created
2. The Word was in the beginning.
3. The Word was with God.
4. The Word was God.
5. All things were created by him.
6. God spoke and created the world in silence with no witnesses.
7. No one has seen the Father except for the Eternal Son.
8. The Son reveals the father.
9. The word is the life, light, and bread.
10. The purpose of the Bible (from the word bereshith) is that God alone is God - the creator. (bereshit, by the metaphor of the letters "A revelation to man. It is revealed that God spoke and created the heavens and the earth. His word did not return void. What he intended to do, he finished.)
11. From the beginning there was a covenant with man.

The material between Ge 1:1 and the appearance of Adam are the parts of the mystery that became clear to John after Luke wrote his gospel.

It is a great introduction because a silent aleph is recapitulated in 'bereshith' saying the same as Ge 1:1 which explodes into Ge 1. With each day being a table of contents entry to a larger portion of scripture, it in turn explodes into the rest of scripture.

John, the most capable teacher of the mystery, gives the best introduction to the Old Testament and how it should be read as Wisdom literature; always and everywhere pointing to Christ.

Upvote 0