Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have several Bible versions in my BibleSoft study program, so it's not about just the KJV only either. It's about warning the brethren of what's going on with Gnostic infiltration into Bible versions. You did an excellent job with exposing a lot of that in your main post. But then you turned around and recommended the NKJV which has been corrupted too. No big deal if you like it and want to use it, but why not reveal that it too has been subject to some modifications from the NU Critical text? In my strong... opinion, that's a huge matter, simply because they are claiming, as you also did, that the NKJV is like an update of the 1611 KJV from the same Textus Receptus Greek Traditional text, when it is not 'purely' from the Textus Receptus only.
Feel free to post on the NKJV. I have my opinion but I don’t claim to be an expert.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I like the NKJV

Me too. By the way, the translators of the KJv consulted an impressive range of sources even including the Syriac Peshitta, but one must rememberthat these sources tend to agree with the Byzantine Text Type used in the Textus Receptus and the Greek Orthodox Bible, hence the name Majority Text, and not the three manuscripts of the Minority Text, also labelled, despite a lack of amu evidence they were written in Alexandria, the Alexandrian text type (I suspect they originated in Caesaria in Judaea), perhaps more appropriately known as the Minority Text. There is also the so-called Western Text Type, called by that name I expect due to its use in the 2nd century Vetus Latina, translated along with most of the liturgy at the behest of Archbishop Victor of Rome (often called, anachronistically, Pope Victor), but it was also used by the third century Syriac translation of the four Gospels known as the Vetus Syra that replaced the Gospel harmony known as the Diatessaon (which is incredibly lame compared to the four Gospels in their original state, a bit like the Kathleen Kennedy prequels compared to the original Star Wars films, and also mistrusted by bishops because the compiler of the Diatessaron, Tatian, went on to found a heretical sect related to that of Bardasanes and the Ophites, etc).

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I evaluate a Bible Translation there are a few scriptures I look at and see how they are rendered. One verse is Mark 11:22
The King James renders it "have faith in God." That is not correct.

I personally think "Have the God kind of faith" is the most accurate translation both linguistically and contextually.
Not a make-it or-break-it, but I would prefer a version that is linguistically and intellectually honest. There are versions that get points for that degree of accuracy:

Worrell New Testament
And Jesus, answering, saith to them, "Have the faith of God.

Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition
22 And Jesus answering, saith to them: Have the faith of God.

1599 Geneva Bible
22 And Jesus answered, and said unto them, Have [a] the faith of God.

Revised Geneva Translation
22 And Jesus answered, and said to them, “Have the faith of God"

Wycliffe Bible
22 And Jesus answered and said to them, Have ye the faith of God

Catholic Public Domain Version
And in response, Jesus said to them: “Have the faith of God.

Godbey New Testament
And Jesus responding says to them, Have God's faith.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
22 Yeshua answered and he said to them, “May the faith of God be in you.”

Young's Literal Translation
22 And Jesus answering saith to them, `Have faith of God;;

Smith's Literal Translation
And Jesus having answered, says to them, Have the faith of God.

The Passion Translation is interesting
22Jesus replied, “Let the faith of God be in you!

Berean Literal Bible
22 And Jesus answering, says to them, "Have faith from God.

Literal Standard Version
22 And Jesus answering says to them, “Have faith from God;"

A Faithful Version
22 And Jesus answered and said to them, "Have faith from God."

Literal Emphasis Translation
And answering, Jesus says to them, Have faith from God.

Renown scholar A.T. Robertson spells it out:

"Here again we must appeal to the root idea of the genitive as the case of genus or kind. The resultant idea is due to the context and one must not suppose that the Greek genitive means all the different English prepositions used to translate the resultant idea. Thus in Mark 11:22 we rightly translate ‘have faith in God,’ though the genitive does not mean ‘in,’ but only the God kind of faith. "

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I evaluate a Bible Translation there are a few scriptures I look at and see how they are rendered. One verse is Mark 11:22
The King James renders it "have faith in God." That is not correct.

I personally think "Have the God kind of faith" is the most accurate translation both linguistically and contextually.
Not a make-it or-break-it, but I would prefer a version that is linguistically and intellectually honest. There are versions that get points for that degree of accuracy:

Worrell New Testament
And Jesus, answering, saith to them, "Have the faith of God.

Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition
22 And Jesus answering, saith to them: Have the faith of God.

1599 Geneva Bible
22 And Jesus answered, and said unto them, Have [a] the faith of God.

Revised Geneva Translation
22 And Jesus answered, and said to them, “Have the faith of God"

Wycliffe Bible
22 And Jesus answered and said to them, Have ye the faith of God

Catholic Public Domain Version
And in response, Jesus said to them: “Have the faith of God.

Godbey New Testament
And Jesus responding says to them, Have God's faith.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
22 Yeshua answered and he said to them, “May the faith of God be in you.”

Young's Literal Translation
22 And Jesus answering saith to them, `Have faith of God;;

Smith's Literal Translation
And Jesus having answered, says to them, Have the faith of God.

The Passion Translation is interesting
22Jesus replied, “Let the faith of God be in you!

Berean Literal Bible
22 And Jesus answering, says to them, "Have faith from God.

Literal Standard Version
22 And Jesus answering says to them, “Have faith from God;"

A Faithful Version
22 And Jesus answered and said to them, "Have faith from God."

Literal Emphasis Translation
And answering, Jesus says to them, Have faith from God.

Renown scholar A.T. Robertson spells it out:

"Here again we must appeal to the root idea of the genitive as the case of genus or kind. The resultant idea is due to the context and one must not suppose that the Greek genitive means all the different English prepositions used to translate the resultant idea. Thus in Mark 11:22 we rightly translate ‘have faith in God,’ though the genitive does not mean ‘in,’ but only the God kind of faith. "
I’ve already posted what I considered a test for Bible versions. But I think most all versions have something to offer.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
and not the three manuscripts of the Minority Text, also labelled, despite a lack of amu evidence they were written in Alexandria, the Alexandrian text type (I suspect they originated in Caesaria in Judaea), perhaps more appropriately known as the Minority Text.
Codex Alexandrinus is a representative of the Byzantine text type in the Gospels, and the rest of the New Testament books are of the Alexandrian text type, with some Western readings.

Interestingly, Codex Vaticanus is representative of the Alexandrian text type.

One verse is Mark 11:22 The King James renders it "have faith in God." That is not correct.
Php 2:7 is rendered correctly as "emptied himself" in many modern translations, but it is translated as "made himself of no reputation" in the NKJV and "made himself nothing" in the NIV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0