Massachusetts, New England
✟9,880.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This isn't a situation that applies to me, but it occurred to me and I was curious...

As I understand it, if an Orthodox person marries a non-Orthodox, they are required to raise their children in the Orthodox faith. But what if someone converts to Orthodoxy after they've already been married and had children, but their spouse remains non-Orthodox? Obviously, they should seek to have the children raised in the Orthodox faith if possible, but are the expectations different because of the situation?

Thanks

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yeah, I have heard of some cases that to keep the family together at times it will only be the one spouse unless the children show an interest. I think this is way to case by case to get any kinda solid answer on here.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know an Orthodox catechumen whose wife is Catholic. They have two children. The wife doesn't plan to convert afaik. The couple's son goes to Church with his mother, and is remaining Catholic. The couple's daughter is coming to Church with her father, and is perhaps interested in becoming Orthodox. The children are both elementary-school-age. I believe the couple is giving the children information and letting each child's own inclination lead the way. The priest is not demanding anything at all, afaik, but welcomes whatever participation the children are interested in pursuing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This isn't a situation that applies to me, but it occurred to me and I was curious...

As I understand it, if an Orthodox person marries a non-Orthodox, they are required to raise their children in the Orthodox faith. But what if someone converts to Orthodoxy after they've already been married and had children, but their spouse remains non-Orthodox? Obviously, they should seek to have the children raised in the Orthodox faith if possible, but are the expectations different because of the situation?

Thanks

Pastoral issue. Hard to envision a situation that would require it, but there's always some far out circumstance...

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
"raised in the faith": baptized Orthodox, catechized as Orthodox, practicing the Orthodox faith and not another religion, at least until the children are capable of choosing for themselves.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So it sounds like pretty much what I guessed to be the case - an issue to be determined by the couple (with pastoral guidance, perhaps) circumstance by circumstance?

yep, only no perhaps with pastoral guidance. something like this needs pastoral guidance.

Upvote 0
S

Soma Seer

"raised in the faith": baptized Orthodox, catechized as Orthodox, practicing the Orthodox faith and not another religion, at least until the children are capable of choosing for themselves.

Just popping in for a split second to ask: is there a specific age at which (most) EO adherents consider children capable of choosing their religious path?

Upvote 0

Antony in Tx

a sinner
Dec 25, 2009
Texas
✟25,560.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think you have to remember here that a child baptized and chrismated will always be a member of the church, albeit if they stray they will be as the prodigal son. Even those not baptized or chrismated are also, likely in the eyes of God as the prodigal. Each of us is made in His image, and He waits with open arms to receive us back home. Raising a child "in the faith" means doing everything at your disposal to teach them the Truth as it was given to us, the Church, once and for all by Christ to the Apostles and handed down by Holy Tradition. We are the Orthodox Christian Church, not the Orthopraxic Christian Church. Our practices are very useful and important tools to teach us and keep us in the Word, but if we are not able to practice to an iota in Orthopraxis, it is still desirable that we grow in our faith through Orthodoxy...that is to say, the right understanding and attitudes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just popping in for a split second to ask: is there a specific age at which (most) EO adherents consider children capable of choosing their religious path?

I know when my Godfamily converted, their oldest daughter was in her teens, so she was allowed to decide.

Upvote 0