Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't mean the text itself, I mean the the body of scripture. Could have done better just saying the canon probably. When I look at an individual tradition, it appears to be more static. Texts are not added, texts are not thrown out; the status quo does not change. I'm not a proponent that this should happen, I have no reason to be invested in such a thing.
Yes, in the Catholic Church the canon is not expanding. It is a list decided some time around 393 AD give or take a decade.

Upvote 0

Datak

Feb 7, 2015
✟7,641.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
We do not consider the LDS to be a Christian denomination or church (though they claim to be, I thnk), so what they believe about Scripture should have no bearing on this discussion.

OK, then another example I usually bring up when discussing the size of the canon is the Ethiopian Orthodox Church which boasts eighty-some texts in its canon.

Upvote 0

Architeuthus

Squid
Apr 29, 2015
✟16,006.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
OK, then another example I usually bring up when discussing the size of the canon is the Ethiopian Orthodox Church which boasts eighty-some texts in its canon.

81, according to www.ethiopianorthodox.org/english/canonical/books.html

But the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, being Non-Chalcedonian, also has significant doctrinal differences from mainstream Christianity, which have been exacerbated by geographical isolation over much of the past 2,000 years. I don't consider their choice of canon particularly relevant.

Upvote 0

Datak

Feb 7, 2015
✟7,641.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
81, according to www.ethiopianorthodox.org/english/canonical/books.html

But the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, being Non-Chalcedonian, also has significant doctrinal differences from mainstream Christianity, which have been exacerbated by geographical isolation over much of the past 2,000 years. I don't consider their choice of canon particularly relevant.
OK, I think I understand the issue you're having.

In the context of this discussion, to be considered relevant we're talking recognition of the first seven ecumenical councils? Less? More? So like most Protestant denominations, the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox tradition in general would all fall under mainstream Christianity?

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Obviously the books of the biblical canon(s) are held to be inspired and those books included in scripture will vary. But are there other inspired writings? I know we have the various creeds, but are they considered inspired? What were the last inspired writings? I would love to know.

2 Peter 1:3King James Version (KJV)

3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

According to this letter (which was written in approximately 66 A.D.) there were no more inspired writings being penned. This also implies that the book of Revelation was penned earlier than this letter.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2 Peter 1:3King James Version (KJV)

3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

According to this letter (which was written in approximately 66 A.D.) there were no more inspired writings being penned. This also implies that the book of Revelation was penned earlier than this letter.

Hi, can you please copy/paste the bit that states this:

"there were no more inspired writings being penned"

.. I am not sure where you have seen this and maybe I have just not noticed it while you have, thanks.

Upvote 0