Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sorry, but that's not true. If that's the case, then "cat" means "fence sign nail staff." What nonsense!

The letters were never intended to be read as groups that make meaning. The names of the letters were chosen because certain words began with the sound of the letters. It has nothing to do with the letters having meaning on their own. This is nonsensical and ahistorical.

Reactions: ChavaK
Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry, but that's not true. If that's the case, then "cat" means "fence sign nail staff." What nonsense!

The letters were never intended to be read as groups that make meaning. The names of the letters were chosen because certain words began with the sound of the letters. It has nothing to do with the letters having meaning on their own. This is nonsensical and ahistorical.
Oh, well handy to ask things here then because I believe everything I read on Internet. I google: Jewish, Hebrew and read that, oh they should know it. Isn't it annoying when people who don't know the language tell you what it means? Lol no American would tell me what a Dutch word or expression means.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, well handy to ask things here then because I believe everything I read on Internet. I google: Jewish, Hebrew and read that, oh they should know it. Isn't it annoying when people who don't know the language tell you what it means? Lol no American would tell me what a Dutch word or expression means.
There's a lot of trash online.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is this not another anti-Semitic statement?
No why? I always think when I have a question about things I don't understand from the Bible or the meaning of words: those gentiles have no clue, I'm gonna ask a Jew, but unfortunately one says this and the other says that. It's the same as: I'm gonna ask a christian. One says this, the other says that.

Reactions: dfw69
Upvote 0

dfw69

Pre-Tribulation Pre- False Messianic Age
Nov 16, 2011
Dallas/Ft Worth
✟78,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is this not another anti-Semitic statement?

I don't know why Judaism is so quick to label anti Semitic

We are all brothers.. we all come from Adam and eve. That is the true Christian stance. Jews and gentiles living in peace as one through the promises given to Abraham seed....Jesus .....the Prince of peace ..

I am finding it hard to believe what is truth coming out of Judaism...is what I'm saying .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Look, friends, it's really simple if you think about the historical development of alphabets generally.

The first writing systems were not alphabetic. They used simpled pictures to represent entire words. Such "pictograms" were used in the hieroglyphic systems as that used in ancient Egypt, ancient Meso-America and even in China of today. Thus, a picture of a hand means "hand" and a picture of a head means "head," etc.

It is a mistake to impute this to alphabetic systems.

In alphabetic systems, the shape of letters is essentially arbitrary. It doesn't matter that the letter yod looks like י today. The shape of the letter can (and did) change over time. What is important is that the letter represent a sound or a set of sounds in combination with other letters.

The names of the letters in Hebrew were chosen from Phoenician (the language of those who developed this writing system). At some point, the Phoenicians set out to discover what sounds existed in their language and to represent each sound with a different picto-drawing. They then chose words in their language that began with each sound and arbitrarily assigned each letter a word that begins with the sound. The letter was never intended to be interpreted into the meaning of the word. It was simply a designation of the sound by name.

The Hebrews adopted the letters of the Phoenicians and applied some changes to the names of the letters according to the sounds of the Hebrew language. Never at any point did they stop and say "well, this word has a yod, so it should have the meaning of 'hand' in it. This one has a heh, so it should have the meaning of 'blowhole' somewhere in it." Etc.

It NEVER worked that way, and it should not be interpreted to work that way today. It's wrong. It's a huge deception on the part of those who think this way. It's sad that they promote this nonsense.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know why Judaism is so quick to label anti Semitic

We are all brothers.. we all come from Adam and eve. That is the true Christian stance. Jews and gentiles living in peace as one through the promises given to Abraham seed....Jesus .....the Prince of peace ..

I am finding it hard to believe what is truth coming out of Judaism...is what I'm saying .
In other words, Judaism is full of lies - and you're not saying anything anti-Jewish. Makes sense to me.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've heard the names of the individual letters (Yod hey wav hey) might mean that, but that would not be the meaning of the word itself.
Technically, the meaning of the name of a letter might be "hook" or something. A וו is a hook in Hebrew, not a nail. You use וו to hand things on the wall and to catch fish, not to nail something to a wall or a cross.

A letter means nothing. It represents a sound. It has always been this way in alphabetic systems. You do not found meaning in individual letters. However, the NAME that has arbitrarily been assigned to a letter often has meaning in Hebrew. For example, ר is called ריש, which is related to ראש and means "head." However, they could have arbitrarily chosen to call the letter רגל regel instead of ריש resh, then it would have meant "foot." The names were chosen just because the sound appeared at the beginning of the word.

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
"A וו is a hook in Hebrew, not a nail. "

Thanks for the clarification :)
ugh these smileys are awful

"The names were chosen just because the sound appeared at the beginning of the word."

Many OJ rabbis nevertheless assign significance to the names of the letters. There is a form of Gematria where you count the full name of the letters, so vav, ie. vav-vav ("hook") would count as 12 instead of 6. Dalet would be dalet-lamed-tav, and count as 434 instead of just 4.

Upvote 0