May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Try Leviticus.
Most Churches don't spend much time with it.
Lamentations is unusual too.

But, if you've been a Life-long Christian, then you should KNOW which books of the Bible are used the most.

Then, just go to book titles that you rarely hear.

And, if you really want to get some input, you ought to describe what kinds of things interest you.

Upvote 0

SammyGirlie18

Jan 27, 2008
✟7,669.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Well, I'm just now 18. So, I have to admit I didn't pay a whole lot of attention because a lot of times I thought church was just boring. So, now I'm trying to do the right thing and read the bible. But I'm looking for stories that I've never heard before. I'm looking for something that's actual story lines and not just instruction or guidance. They interest me most.

Upvote 0

pete56

A Beloved Son of God!
Apr 13, 2004
✟19,616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sammy

If you are looking to understand what the Bible says to us as Christians a good place to start is actually the Book of Acts. It is the story of the early church and is rarely read in churches as a whole story. I guess the reason for that is that so many of our denominational churches have moved so far from the model of the early apostolic church portrayed in these pages.

When I returned to the faith after a long time away, that is where Istarted, and then followed that with reading the epistles from Paul and Peter and John. Once you get through that lot you may already have some ideas on which stories from the OT you might want to check out to understand what God is saying to you through them, but if you haven't then try the history books of Kings and Chronicles, they tell of the history of Israel and Judah through the lives of its Kings.

P

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
Esther has an interesting story line, and reading about Jacob in Genesis and his family is interesting, it is quite a soap opera. David also has an encouraging life story recorded in Samuels books, and Kings, and maybe a few others. There are more prophets you can read in the Old Testament, if you have a Study Bible like NIV Study Bible, they have lots of footnotes that give some extra details to help with understanding contexts.

it might also be an interesting study if you look at the history of persecuted christians and how christianity has spread in the world. there is still persecution going on today, putting ourselves in their shoes has put things in perspective for me. You can get a newsletter free about it at www.persecution.com, they also have books available, sometimes for free like Jesus Freaks. Also one other ministry that is interesting about mission work is www.gfa.org, they also have a free book called Revolution in World Missions at their website, the christians over in India often face persecution we don't really see in other countries. and keep in bible study too, I found bible on tapes really helped me also

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you reading the Bible to grow in the Lord, or for entertainment? The Gospels are full of the Life of Christ. They show how and why He died. The Epistles explain the Christian life.

I suggest you get into a Bible study, and dig into the Word for Spiritual knowledge and growth.

Upvote 0

alatir

Aug 1, 2007
✟15,712.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Gospels are the best books in the Bible and those passages from the Old Testament that prophesy about Jesus.
Book of Isaiah is a good book to start with. Jesus quotes that book quite a lot.

Try Leviticus.
Most Churches don't spend much time with it.
Lamentations is unusual too.
Leviticus is an interesting book and it really shows how holy God is and you begin to understand what Jesus' sacrifice means.

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I made a determination that I would read the whole bible in one year. So far it's been great! Here is a link to consider:

http://www.rbc.org

You can get a monthly devotional book and it gives a suggested daily reading the bible in one year. It will list the scriptures every day.

That's what I've been doing.
Jan;)

Upvote 0

SammyGirlie18

Jan 27, 2008
✟7,669.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Thank you everyone. : ) You've been very helpful.

Madison1101 - I'm reading the bible for both growth and entertainment. I study from the Bible as much as I can, but sometimes it's interesting to read and see how coo the lives of people were and what cool things happened to them. A lot of the stories are better than anything you could find in a novel. Ya know?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TexasBluebonnet

This world has nothing for me...
Feb 27, 2007
Cedar Hill, TX :)!!
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I have some advice and it might be stupid, but I'm not an athority, so please bear with me :) . Try praying before you read. Ask God to direct you to what you should read. The Bible is just one way that God can speak to us and there could be something you could learn by praying for direction in what you read. I mean, it could help. Hope this helped.

Upvote 0

mrscplus

Jul 8, 2007
Toronto
✟8,162.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Good for you for wanting to read more of your Bible.

Here's the advice I was given, and stick to when giving to others.
Read the gospel of John first. It really is the bible in a nutshell. Outlines why God did what he did. then, God to Matthew and read the entire New testament. You go from the fufillment of Jesus' coming to the establishment of the church. then go back to Genesis, and read from beginning to end, with New Testament eyes.

Read it from the perspective that God deeply desires a relationship with His creation, we didn't get it, and so he sent us a multitude of ways to be in realtionship, until He had to send His Son to cleary show us the way.

Doing this will even bring the "old" stories to a new life for you.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you everyone. : ) You've been very helpful.

Madison1101 - I'm reading the bible for both growth and entertainment. I study from the Bible as much as I can, but sometimes it's interesting to read and see how coo the lives of people were and what cool things happened to them. A lot of the stories are better than anything you could find in a novel. Ya know?
If you are interested in interesting reading, you might want to try reading some Francine Rivers books. She has written fictional stories about Biblical characters, and has done the lineage of Christ in this. While it is fiction, you should not read them to replace your Bible reading, but to whet your appetite for reading about the lives of these people.

In the meantime, do character studies. Like start with women of the Bible and examine their lives.

Enjoy.

Trish

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It really depends on what interest you, you could

1) do word studies,
2) watch "One Night with the King" and compare it to the book of Esther or watch "The Passion of Christ" and compare it to the gospels - realizing that theatrical liberations are usually taken,
3) study the tabernacles and temple - looking for comparisons - that's 52 chapters + alone
4) compare the accounts of the gospels,
5) read what was given to the churches at that time,
6) look at a list of Biblical characters and see if you know something about all of them and if not, research that person.

Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

This world has nothing for me...
Feb 27, 2007
Cedar Hill, TX :)!!
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It really depends on what interest you, you could

1) do word studies,
2) watch "One Night with the King" and compare it to the book of Esther,
3) study the tabernacles and temple - looking for comparisons - that's 52 chapters + alone
4) compare the accounts of the gospels,
5) read what was given to the churches at that time,
6) look at a list of Biblical characters and see if you know something about all of them and if not, research that person.

Hey, that's pretty :cool: advice. :thumbsup: I'll have to try that myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking peace

Apr 30, 2007
TN
✟8,094.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here is the study plan I'm working on for this year and it's been very helpful to me.

http://www.intervarsity.org/studentsoul/item/start-reading-bible

You start by reading the book of Mark then move on to the book of John. Mark tells what Jesus did while John tells what Jesus said. Then you move on to Acts (the early church) and then Romans (introduces Paul). After that you move on to Genesis and Exodus while reading Psalms at the same time.

Upvote 0