What should we teach young people about s-e-x?

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What does a job, a home, a "steady income", and a savings account have to do with sex?

A lot, if you want to avoid abortions or unwanted pregnancies.

Condoms fail. And more often than not, there are people who get drunk and in the heat of the moment agree to just do coitis interruptus and it ends up with a pregnancy and all the tragedy that entails.

One of my friends had an abortion she deeply regrets six or seven months past, and it was a source of great pain.

Even when all precautions are taken there are issues.

Upvote 0

4xbypass

Jan 20, 2010
✟619.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

Condoms fail. And more often than not, there are people who get drunk and in the heat of the moment agree to just do coitis interruptus and it ends up with a pregnancy and all the tragedy that entails.

One of my friends had an abortion she deeply regrets six or seven months past, and it was a source of great pain.

Well she should have left the heteroSEXual lifestyle choice and become a lesbian. Then she wouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian

Why again does Paul say we should get married?

Upvote 0

Keres

Jan 25, 2010
✟8,169.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. In the 19th and early 20th centuries the divorce rate was below 10%..

And child/spousal abuse ran rampant.

The nuclear family is not a myth and was quite common

Only among the upper middle class in particular geographic areas. Otherwise, the nuclear family is pretty much the rarest familial setup.

Reactions: united4Peace
Upvote 0

Keres

Jan 25, 2010
✟8,169.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's basic common sense.

Kids, don't play with matches!

However, if you must strike a match, make sure you close the box, grip the match firmly at the end and rub the head in a swift, single stroke against the rough area on the side of the box. Light the flame swiftly and make sure you put the match out thoroughly, ideally by placing it in water or sand. Do this before the flame burns down to your fingers.

And if you happen to catch something on fire, respond by (insert the various ways to safely respond to various fire related scenarios here)

But remember, ideally, striking matches is an activity reserved for responsible adults. Strike matches can lead to burns, property destruction, permanent disfigurement, and death to both yourself and others.

Be safe with fire.

Upvote 0

Wicked Willow

May 2, 2005
✟4,434.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. In the 19th and early 20th centuries the divorce rate was below 10%
Because it was almost impossible to get a divorce, not because couples were happier back then. Besides, divorce rates have virtually nothing to do with STDs and unwanted pregnancies.
As a matter of fact, prostitution and all of its attendant ills peaked during the sexually restrictice 19th century, as middle class gentlemen whose wives were ideally supposed to be asexual angels sought relief elsewhere.

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

A steady income does not affect the chances of condom failiure. People with a steady income, a house etc. are also capable of getting drunk and ending up with an unwanted pregnancy. Unwanted pregnancies can happen no matter how steady your lifestyle is.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Why does he say its better not to marry? ;)

You missed my question. Paul admits few can go without marriage. He doesn't tell the rest to wait till they are secured adults with a steady income, housing, ect. He says to get married to avoid temptations to lust. Thus to preach that one should wait to be married is unbiblical. At best, it should be preached that marriage is not the best route, and only those who are unable to remain abstinent should engage in it. But to then preach waiting till you are 30+ (which is about how old you'll have to be to have all that listed), is not part of the Bible, and contradictory to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I always wondered where Paul's particular sexual hangups came from. Why did he think that abstinence, of all things, was the best possible route? It almost smacks of Gnostic dualism and its demonization of everything connected to matter and "the body".
Or it makes sense with Jesus's message that the true believers will leave their husbands and wives to follow him.

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I always wondered where Paul's particular sexual hangups came from. Why did he think that abstinence, of all things, was the best possible route? It almost smacks of Gnostic dualism and its demonization of everything connected to matter and "the body".
Many philosophers have urged similar paths.

Upvote 0

Wicked Willow

May 2, 2005
✟4,434.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Or it makes sense with Jesus's message that the true believers will leave their husbands and wives to follow him.
Nah, it still doesn't make any sense, for it would turn the movement into a sterile arrangement that relied exclusively on the reproductive facilities of the unconverted- the very people who were to be brought into the fold of the celibates, thus ceasing to beget children, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
For similarly convoluted reasons, usually.
In a sense. Not because of any inherent evil in sex, but love divides focus. For someone that chooses to be fully and completely devoted to something (religion or philosophy, for example), it is impossible to sacrifice all one's focus to both, and the individual's interests will be divided.

Upvote 0

purpledolphin8402

Feb 10, 2010
United States
✟8,406.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, cause stalking equals love, and that's the message we want to impress on our young women. Stay with the abusive jerk, wrap your whole world around him no matter how his mistreats you, let him isolate you from your friends and control you, but it's all okay because you waited until marriage to have sex so that means it's all true love.

Yeah.

Great message.

Exactly what we should be teaching teenage girls.

um...calm down. what i said has nothing to do with what you're going on about. i said it impressed me because in this series they waited to have sex instead of being filled with sex scenes and smut the way some other teenage/young adult books are. i wasn't saying that they were the best books ever, because i agree with you on some of the points you make. i was saying that i was glad it didn't glorify sex...

Upvote 0

Keres

Jan 25, 2010
✟8,169.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
um...calm down. what i said has nothing to do with what you're going on about. i said it impressed me because in this series they waited to have sex instead of being filled with sex scenes and smut the way some other teenage/young adult books are. i wasn't saying that they were the best books ever, because i agree with you on some of the points you make. i was saying that i was glad it didn't glorify sex...

Frankly, it would have been better and healthier for it to glorify sex and not have the rest of it. There are plenty of other books that don't glorify sex, many of which don't even contain sex, and that don't have all that other crud in them.

Twilight is the wrong book to be taking role models from.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
In a sense. Not because of any inherent evil in sex, but love divides focus. For someone that chooses to be fully and completely devoted to something (religion or philosophy, for example), it is impossible to sacrifice all one's focus to both, and the individual's interests will be divided.

That's a good point. I suppose that asceticism can have its roots in a devotion to spiritual exercises, rather than a hatred of the material world as such.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0