Senior Veteran
Nov 13, 2004
Visit site
✟10,848.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What scripture is available to help you witness to your unbelieving spouse to show that the Bible is the infallible (sp?) word of God? What evidence can one share to prove that Jesus is the only way to get into Heaven? (Assuming that your spouse has already heard the Bible's verses like: John 3:16).
<I ask this specifically in dealing with a nonbeliever who has been raised with several religions, especially new age philosophies; beliefs in reincarnation and the belief that there is no devil and thus no eternal place outside of Heaven for anyone to go to when they die.> How do you witness to that with solid Biblical evidence? (I'd really like some input from anyone who has ideas/suggestions or who has been able to do this).

LiberatedChick

Contributor
Jun 28, 2004
UK
✟21,289.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hmm...well I only answer the questions of my spouse I don't try and witness to him...least not through words. In my experience it's not a good idea.

As 1 Peter 3 says
1Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2when they see the purity and reverence of your lives.
However, if he were asking questions like the ones you give I'd probably use John 14:6 as proof that accepting Jesus is the only way.

John 14:6 said:
6Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Jesus also speaks of heaven in John 14:1-4. Where he says that he's going to go and prepare a place in his Fathers house. He also says "If it were not so, I would have told you"...in other words he's saying that what he's just said is true.

John 14:1-4 said:
1“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God[a]; trust also in me. 2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4You know the way to the place where I am going.”
These are some I'd use anyway...try searching on www.biblegateway.com for more verses.

Upvote 0

LiberatedChick

Contributor
Jun 28, 2004
UK
✟21,289.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Blue Impulse said:
I came from pagan traditions to Christ.. and not to disappoint, but no one witnessing to me ever did a lick of good. In the end it was all up to me.
Same here. Which is why I love Peters verses on setting a good example, it says something I knew from experience much better than I ever could. So if my husband brings up any questions then I answer as best as I can, otherwise I don't talk about it and focus on showing him rather than telling him.

Upvote 0

sjanae76

Aug 4, 2004
Ohio
✟15,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the advice you've already been given. Your actions will speak louder than any words at this point. But Lee Strobel's books are wonderful. I've only read The Case for Christ which is a very good book. It basically proves, factually, that the gospels are accurate accounts of events at that time. After reading this book I now believe, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Jesus is my saviour!

Our church is doing a series right now titled The Essential Jesus, and Sunday went over the factual evidence that is discussed in The Case For Christ. If you'd like to listen to that or any of the other teachings, go to
http://www.xenos.org/teachings/topical/essentialjesus/gary/essential-1.htm You'll need Real Player to view this.

This is the only church my husband has been willing to go to with me.

Upvote 0

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Blue and Sjanae, you beat me to it! :)

The only books that have seemed to reach B in regards to becoming a stronger Christian were the Lee Strobel books - there are other books that have really impressed on him the importance of being a strong man of God, but the Strobel books helped the sceptic in him believe that little bit more.

He's in no means 'there' yet in his Christianity, but the books certainly helped in his questions...

Sasch

Upvote 0

LegacyOfLove

Senior Veteran
Nov 13, 2004
Visit site
✟10,848.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you ladies, I will check out those books...both the one about Jesus and the Creator sound like they would be very helpful (as my hubby is quite the scientific-gotta-prove-it type). And I agree, the "witnessing stuff" doesn't work well with him at all (so I avoid it most of the time). Usually, what happens is he will ask me about certain things, and well...since I am not the most "educated" when it comes to scientific proof and being able to quote scripture (with the exact verses & chapters) it can often end up leading no where fast. So, your references will be very helpful. Above all, I just pray and put it in God's hands. Little by little, I see him seeking God and wanting to know more about God and that's encouraging!

Upvote 0