What Real Heroes Look Like

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This story resonates. Please read and thank-you.

Father of Army Ranger Cory Remsburg on Caring for His Son

When attention turned to Army Ranger Cory Remsburg at the State of the Unionaddress on Jan. 28, it was his father, Craig, who helped pull him into the spotlight. As it should be. Craig and his wife, Annie, have completely changed their lives to give Cory the care he needed after a roadside bomb nearly killed him in Afghanistan on Oct. 1, 2009.

Craig Remsburg, 57, talked to AARP.org about what it has taken to help Cory resurface from a three-month coma and continue his battle for an independent life.

Q: One day you're working and the next the world has turned upside down.

A: I was in the middle of a presentation when my cellphone rang. I saw extra digits indicating it was Cory from a satellite phone. I answered, "Hey, Cory. How are you doing?" and there was silence on the phone for a couple of seconds and then the gentleman answered, "This is Maj. McGhee, Cory's company commander." I still get choked up when I talk about it.

Q: What are Corey's prospects?

A: My kid is fighting like hell to be independent. He wants as much of his life as he can and he doesn't want us to be around all the time. We've encouraged that as long as it wasn't something where he might get hurt. All these little steps culminated in the guy you saw at the State of the Union address who can almost stand up on his own. He's taking steps with a crutch. He can cycle 18 miles on a recumbent bike now. That's a miracle.

Source: http://www.aarp.org/home-family/car...+Ranger+to+Full-Time+Caregi_729962851_1534128

Rangers are a special breed. This guy makes us all proud.

Reactions: redleghunter