Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,198,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please Read This Before Posting:

Please do not mention movies such as Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings (that promote the sin of witchcraft). Also, please do not mention movies that do not specifically mention Christ, God, the Bible, or Christ's teachings. In addition, do not mention films that appear kind of Christian but they also promote various sins like profanity, sex, nudity, etc. (without any rebuke of these kinds of sins). I am looking for clearly Christian movies only that leads people to want to follow Jesus, God, and His Word.
Thank you for understanding;
And may God bless you.​

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,198,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1. Time Changer.
2. What if.
3. The Redemption of Henry Myers.
4. Play the Flute.
5. The War Within.
6. Heaven's War.
7. 77 Chances.
8. Champion.
9. Breakthrough.
10. The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry.
11. Overcomer.
12. Polycarp.
13. The Case for Christ.
14. Princess Cut.
15. Christian Mingle.
16. The Climb (2002).
17. Home Sweet Home (2020).
18. Finding Normal.
19. KJB: The Book That Changed the World (Documentary).
20. Exodus Revealed (Documentary).
21. Mountain of Fire (Documentary).

Side Note:

You can check out the movie artwork, trailers, and where to buy or rent in post #49 within this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,198,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To Save A Life (2009).

For a Christian film with a US$500,000 budget, it is actually surprisingly well made, in my opinion. I really enjoyed.

Sorry, this does not sound like a real Christian movie.
See thread rule in post #1.

Here is a review on Amazon that confirmed my suspicions in that it is not a real Christian film (that truly promotes believers to follow Jesus Christ).

By now you have probably heard of the movie To Save a Life, which opened nation-wide in theaters on January 22nd. The movie deals with so many issues that teens face today, like suicide, cutting, drinking, drugs, premarital sex, teen pregnancy, and abortion. At first glance this movie looks like an awesome resource that we should recommend for our teens, parents, youth pastors, and youth workers.

But a closer look at the movie reveals a few disturbing things. For starters, according to pluggedin.com, there are 2 uses of the "A" word, 5 uses of hell (used as a curse word), and once the "D" word is used. There are other crude terms used to describe a girl, and crude terms for referring to sexual activity. There is also a bedroom scene that shows a girl removing a boy's shirt, then afterwards the girl putting her shirt back on.

I know the arguments in favor of this movie. I realize that the curse words are before the young man gives his life to Christ, and I know that the bedroom scene is essential to the storyline.

The movie's writer, who is a youth pastor in California, said that he prayed over every curse word he wrote into the script. While he admitted that cussing "is not cool," he added that those words helped to make the story real. I have to take issue with this (here comes the part where I get called a Pharisee and legalist again). Where do we read in the Gospels that Jesus used curse words to appeal to those "real people" around Him? Where do we see Him stealing to reach the tax collectors, kicking people around to reach the Roman centurions, or bragging about Himself to reach the Pharisees? Obviously He did not do those things; instead we see Jesus transcending culture and urging people to change their lives and follow Him.

As followers of Jesus we are told to be light to the darkness, salt to the earth, and a city on a hill. What will really reach people is Christians living a different life, not doing what Casting Crowns sings about, "blending in so well that people can't see the difference, and it's the difference that sets the world free."

Ironically, one of the elements in this movie is hypocrisy in the church. How is it not hypocrisy to live by the Bible that says to be separate from the world, then make a movie with profanity in it? A movie about hypocrisy is being hypocritical.​

About the curse words, the movie's producer said that kids hear much worse all the time. That is a terrible way of justifying sin. The reason many people, youth pastors included, don't have a problem with 8 curse words in a movie is they are already watching movies and TV shows that use much worse language. If you have no problem watching and talking about sitcoms that use cursing and taking God's Name in vain and movies that will use F-bombs and gd's, then there is certainly no problem with a few of the "lighter curse words." The same point can also be made for all the sexual innuendo on TV.

I know the bedroom scene sets up a crucial part of the storyline, and I know that many people are praising the movie for not showing too much, but in my opinion (here comes more legalist accusations) it does show too much. Can a young man's mind not wander and continue to play out the scene in his mind? Can the image of the young lady putting her shirt back on (while the young man says, "Let's do it again. You know you want to.") not cause a student to lust?

While this movie can and will be used to compel many teens to look out for the outcasts in their school, I still see it as a wasted opportunity, as the movie's writer admitted that he did not intend to make a Christian movie, and that this movie does not "share the faith."

I have and do endorse movies, but I will not endorse a movie that can cause a student to fall into sin. Youth pastors, just imagine that one of your students goes home and uses the "A" word in front of his mother.
"Where did you learn to talk like that?"
"It was in that movie that Pastor ___________ took us to see."

But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea.

--Jesus, Mark 9:42

To save a life, I will not endorse To Save a Life.​

Source:
Amazon.com: Customer reviews: To Save a Life

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,198,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Chosen, is something I would like to purchase and by seen the first episode and it was really interesting. They have an app for it on the iphone and android

I did not like the Chosen, and stopped watching it because it changed too many the things we see in the Bible. Peter got into fights? Really? In my view, it is making that which is real out to be into a fantasy.

2 Timothy 4:4 says, “And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables”

• Agree
Reactions: LJK
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,198,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
None at all as far as I know. Maybe... Close Encounters With The God Kind by Jessi Duplantous it use to be in there probably might be haven't looked in a long time.

His networth is 20 million and he has a private jet.
He is of the prosperity gospel / Word of Faith movement.

So I would toss that one out of your collection, brother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,198,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amazing Grace 2006
The Cross and the Switchblade
Demetrius and the Gladiators
The Robe
Facing The Giants
The Gospel Of John
Paul the Apostle 2001
The Robe 1953

The performances by the actor who played Jesus in the Gospel of John was really good. He made John chapter 8 really come alive for me and see it in a way I could not have gotten on my own by reading it. It was truly an excellent part of the film. Also, the scene on being born again in John 3 was also really one of my favorite scenes in the film. The crucifixion scene was kind of weak, though. The best crucifixion scene in my view was from the Bible Mini Series.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,198,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
what do you think about SDAs in movies?

The SDA church gets some things biblically correct, but other things they drop the ball big time. Remember, the churches in Revelation were told to repent. Oh, and yes, I am aware that Hacksaw Ridge focuses on a Christian who is a part of the SDA church. But the movie did not promote the SDA's odd beliefs on the Bible, and neither did it promote Ellen G. White, but it merely promoted a teaching in the Bible that many neglect today (Which is New Testament Non-Resistance). I may have to watch this film again, and decide if it is worth keeping in my collection or not. I do not approve of many of the beliefs held by the SDA church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
The SDA church gets some things biblically correct, but other things they drop the ball big time. Remember, the churches in Revelation were told to repent. Oh, and yes, I am aware that Hacksaw Ridge focuses on a Christian who is a part of the SDA church. But the movie did not promote the SDA's odd beliefs on the Bible, and neither did it promote Ellen G. White, but it merely promoted a teaching in the Bible that many neglect today (Which is New Testament Non-Resistance). I may have to watch this film again, and decide if it is worth keeping in my collection or not. I do not approve of the beliefs of the SDA church.
I've kept the movie but not because it is somewhat a Christian movie but because it is a semi decent war movie but I didn't personally rate it anywhere near as good as they do on IMDB and I have a tag that I put on movies I consider as Christian and I didn't put one on it.
As for the Gospel of John it did do one thing right that has irritated me about a lot of movies about Jesus, they put the nails through his wrists instead of the middle of his hands like too many movies do which isn't accurate.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,016,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I did not like the Chosen, and stopped watching it because it changed too many the things we see in the Bible. Peter got into fights? Really? In my view, it is making that which is real out to be into a fantasy.

2 Timothy 4:4 says, “And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables”

The Chosen is absolutely awesome! Really enjoyed the first series. Looking forward to the 2nd.

It has lots of Biblical facts, stories etc. It also looks at the life of Jesus and the Apostles with a different slant / view. I like that. It is extremely well acted and the whole cast and crew are very Christian and devoted to Christianity.

The whole life of Jesus and the Apostles are not recorded in detail. Its nice to see the portrayal of Jesus and the Apostles 'come to life' in a different way. While also sticking to the many truths in the Gospels too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,198,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've kept the movie but not because it is somewhat a Christian movie but because it is a semi decent war movie but I didn't personally rate it anywhere near as good as they do on IMDB and I have a tag that I put on movies I consider as Christian and I didn't put one on it.

I will have to prayfully consider in keeping Hacksaw Ridge in my collection or not after viewing it again. I only own Christian films, and educational documentaries or how to videos.

You said:
As for the Gospel of John it did do one thing right that has irritated me about a lot of movies about Jesus, they put the nails through his wrists instead of the middle of his hands like too many movies do which isn't accurate.

I can understand that. While the actor did a great job, I would prefer if they casted someone who looked like he was more from the Middle East. The Risen film is a better example of a good casting choice for the look of Jesus (Although we really do not know what He looked like). I also particularily did not like disciples looking like Neanderthals. I am not sure if this was the casting of the actors, or if it was the make up department making them look like cavemen. It was very strange.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
There is also God's Outlaw a story about William Tynedale and then there is Luther 2003
and the perfect stranger 2005 is better than I expected The Story of Ruth 1960 was good also
A.D. The Trials and Triumps of the Early Church 1985
Flywheel 2003 I enjoyed also

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I will have to prayfully consider in keeping Hacksaw Ridge in my collection or not after viewing it again. I only own Christian films, and educational documentaries or how to videos.

I can understand that. While the actor did a great job, I would prefer if they casted someone who looked like he was more from the Middle East. The Risen film is a better example of a good casting choice for the look of Jesus (Although we really do not know what He looked like). I also particularily did not like disciples looking like Neanderthals. I am not sure if this was the casting of the actors, or if it was the make up department making them look like cavemen. It was very strange.
Yeah too many people want Jesus to be either white or black when it is very likely he was middle eastern but to be honest I think God purposely left out his description so that everyone would focus on him and not his "race" or whatever.
I thought Risen was ok, but expected it to be better.
Peter and Paul 1981 another good miniseries.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I have a small collection of about 150 Christian movies but probably about 40 or so meet your criteria I figure as many were either Old Testament movies or new testament independent movies that the theology is not totally perfect plus a bunch of Veggietales movies for fun.

Upvote 0